The AARP Movies for Grownups Awards premieres tonight on many PBS stations. Watch at 9 p.m. ET.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Masterpiece's "Victoria" - Season 3 .. and a Companion Series "Victoria and Alber

Message 1 of 21

@MaVolta - There have been so many novels & PBS TV series, about 18th & 19th century European nobility, where very wealthy & powerful husbands controlled their wife's every move .. the proverbial "bird in a gilded cage", often using their children as leverage. In "Anna Karenina," it leads to an affair, disgrace from Society, and her eventual suicide.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Masterpiece's "Victoria" - Season 3 .. and a Companion Series "Victoria and Alber

Message 2 of 21

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@MaVolta  - I think Palmerston is a realist, and knows what an SOB the Duke of Monmouth is .. and would be, should the Duchess be caught in an affair. If she didn't come from a wealthy family, he could ruin all of them by throwing her out with nothing to her name.

Good point! He'd do it in a heartbeat. Worse yet, she would never see her son again. She's got to be thinking about that. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 21

@MaVolta  - I think Palmerston is a realist, and knows what an SOB the Duke of Monmouth is .. and would be, should the Duchess be caught in an affair. If she didn't come from a wealthy family, he could ruin all of them by throwing her out with nothing to her name.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 21

The duchess and Joseph have been eyeing each other for a while, so it was just a matter of time . . . Palmerston is onto them, however, and seems to be threatening to hold it over her some way. For himself, maybe? What did surprise me was the open marriage between Palmerston and Emily. As it turns out, that was true! I had a suspicion about Bertie's tutor when one of the servants said to Princess Victoria (breakfast scene) that he did not like him, and after Feodora refused to comment saying something like, it wasn't polite. I did think it was funny about Feodora and the man who came to her seeking an appointment to whatever it was. And then he got it! Feodora admiring her pearls!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 21

@ASTRAEA ...Yes, I watched the whole previous episode again, and cried again when Nancy died.

UGH...I really hate the Duke of Monmouth, but don't want anything to happen to the Duchess, so I hope her husband doesn't hear about it. Joseph is certainly not bad on the eyes! Cat Wink

I've never liked Feodora and wish she'd go back to Germany or wherever she came from.

As for Bertie's tutor...I had my suspicions from the moment he smiled at Bertie during the introduction, and I was trying to Google on my phone during the show to see if I could find anything about Mr. Cane/Caine (sp?) At the introduction when Victoria said she hoped his name had nothing to do with his way of teaching, my brain prickled and I started thinking about it. Then when Bertie spoke to Albert in French I wondered... So glad Victoria stormed in on them. N.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 21

Last night they had last week's episode on at 8 pm, followed by the new episode .. so I was able to catch up!

Wow; Nell Hudson - the actress who played Nancy Skerrett Francatelli - must have wanted to move on professionally, since Skerrett didn't just leave the Palace to marry, but died of cholera! I didn't see that coming, and I wonder if that means that Mr. Francatelli will be out too, with less of a connection to the palace now?!

How far do you think things will go between the Duke & Duchess of Monmouth .. and Joseph? I actually don't think there was a "Duke of Monmouth" at that time. There was a 1st Duke of Monmouth in the 17th century, but he was beheaded for treason, and his children didn't inherit the title. So that allows the series to make up whatever storyline they want about the Monmouths, or perhaps they're a composite of several other real couples.

I'm really getting annoyed at Princess Feodora, with her manipulation of both Victoria & Albert. 

Were you surprised about Bertie's tutor?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 21

@MaVolta , @catwoman500 - I get the newsletter & do read it. I missed last week's episode because I was at a Super Bowl party. I can watch it online, but I just haven'thad a chance yet.

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 21

@MaVolta ...Yes, I do get the newsletter, but often don't read it. Thanks for reminding me about it.

I'm still in denial that Nancy Skerrett is gone. Cat Sad

Love that Charles named the hotel "Nancy's".  Heart N.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 21

@catwoman500  @ASTRAEA 

That episode was a real shocker, for sure! 

Do you get the Masterpiece Newsletter? Each week there has been a link to commentary on the website separating fact from fiction. It's all very interesting. For episode 4, they discussed Victoria meeting Dr Snow, Florence Nightingale, and Albert at Cambridge.

She actually did meet Dr Snow and Florence Nightingale, but at a later time. The cholera outbreak in Soho was also later in the 1850's, but it was Dr Snow who found the source. 

The story of Albert at Cambridge was really true. Albert did not know that "chancellor" was an honorary title and the university was not prepared for him coming in to make changes, so the vote was very close.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/shows/victoria/#

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 21

@catwoman500  - I was invited to a Super Bowl party last night, and realized at some point that I was missing an episode of "Victoria"! I don't know how she could recommend Abigail, when it seemed she hardly knew her!

Kudos
Views