AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Masterpiece's "Victoria" - Season 3 .. and a Companion Series "Victoria and Alber

Message 21 of 46

@ASTRAEA , I got that same message and tried to go back to it twice with no results. This link was from another PBS email I get that is strictly Victoria. So many things; so little time!!!  Cat Wink N.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Masterpiece's "Victoria" - Season 3 .. and a Companion Series "Victoria and Alber

Message 22 of 46

@catwoman500 Thank you for posting it! I was annoyed when I got the e-mail the other day, that when I got onto the website, the video wasn't working yet, and I didn't get back to it later.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 46

@ASTRAEA ...Did you see this from Masterpiece? Check out the fact and fiction from the last episode:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/specialfeatures/victoria-s3-e6-fact-or-

fiction/

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 46

@catwoman500 - To be fair, we can't measure anyone living 150 years ago, using today's social standards. It had to be very difficult for a man married to such a powerful woman, in the middle of the 19th century, and there were no defined responsibilities for Albert, for which he could be known for his own accomplishments. I think that things were different before Feodora showed up, and Victoria had 6+ children. With Albert feeling non-productive & under-appreciated, he was fodder for someone as manipulative as Feodora. She's even found the ultimate leverage to protect herself from Lord Palmerston .. who definitely has her number! I was thrilled when Victoria finally said what she thought about her "frenemy" half-sister to Albert, but so disappointed that he's too blinded by what he must see as Feodora's confidences with him. I keeping hoping that he'll come to his senses in the next episode!

Phrenology was one of those pseudo-sciences of past centuries, that a surprisingly large number of educated & intelligent people believed .. until they were debunked later on. We can only make fun of Albert because we have 20/20 hindsight, about how ridiculous it really was.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 46

Re: the latest episode, #6...

Since Albert first appeared in Season One, I have disliked him. Now, with every episode my dislike grows. Victoria is the queen, how can he put her (and Bertie's) intelligence down so often? That scene with the "head" guy...(is that called phrenology?) was ugly, and then to say to her face that she didn't have the intelligence...??? How did she love him?

And I'm really getting sick of Feodora! N.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 46

@MaVolta - There have been so many novels & PBS TV series, about 18th & 19th century European nobility, where very wealthy & powerful husbands controlled their wife's every move .. the proverbial "bird in a gilded cage", often using their children as leverage. In "Anna Karenina," it leads to an affair, disgrace from Society, and her eventual suicide.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 46

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@MaVolta  - I think Palmerston is a realist, and knows what an SOB the Duke of Monmouth is .. and would be, should the Duchess be caught in an affair. If she didn't come from a wealthy family, he could ruin all of them by throwing her out with nothing to her name.

Good point! He'd do it in a heartbeat. Worse yet, she would never see her son again. She's got to be thinking about that. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 46

@MaVolta  - I think Palmerston is a realist, and knows what an SOB the Duke of Monmouth is .. and would be, should the Duchess be caught in an affair. If she didn't come from a wealthy family, he could ruin all of them by throwing her out with nothing to her name.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 46

The duchess and Joseph have been eyeing each other for a while, so it was just a matter of time . . . Palmerston is onto them, however, and seems to be threatening to hold it over her some way. For himself, maybe? What did surprise me was the open marriage between Palmerston and Emily. As it turns out, that was true! I had a suspicion about Bertie's tutor when one of the servants said to Princess Victoria (breakfast scene) that he did not like him, and after Feodora refused to comment saying something like, it wasn't polite. I did think it was funny about Feodora and the man who came to her seeking an appointment to whatever it was. And then he got it! Feodora admiring her pearls!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 46

@ASTRAEA ...Yes, I watched the whole previous episode again, and cried again when Nancy died.

UGH...I really hate the Duke of Monmouth, but don't want anything to happen to the Duchess, so I hope her husband doesn't hear about it. Joseph is certainly not bad on the eyes! Cat Wink

I've never liked Feodora and wish she'd go back to Germany or wherever she came from.

As for Bertie's tutor...I had my suspicions from the moment he smiled at Bertie during the introduction, and I was trying to Google on my phone during the show to see if I could find anything about Mr. Cane/Caine (sp?) At the introduction when Victoria said she hoped his name had nothing to do with his way of teaching, my brain prickled and I started thinking about it. Then when Bertie spoke to Albert in French I wondered... So glad Victoria stormed in on them. N.

Kudos
Views