Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Masterpiece's "Victoria" - Season 3 .. and a Companion Series "Victoria and Alber

Message 31 of 46

Last night they had last week's episode on at 8 pm, followed by the new episode .. so I was able to catch up!

Wow; Nell Hudson - the actress who played Nancy Skerrett Francatelli - must have wanted to move on professionally, since Skerrett didn't just leave the Palace to marry, but died of cholera! I didn't see that coming, and I wonder if that means that Mr. Francatelli will be out too, with less of a connection to the palace now?!

How far do you think things will go between the Duke & Duchess of Monmouth .. and Joseph? I actually don't think there was a "Duke of Monmouth" at that time. There was a 1st Duke of Monmouth in the 17th century, but he was beheaded for treason, and his children didn't inherit the title. So that allows the series to make up whatever storyline they want about the Monmouths, or perhaps they're a composite of several other real couples.

I'm really getting annoyed at Princess Feodora, with her manipulation of both Victoria & Albert. 

Were you surprised about Bertie's tutor?

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Re: Masterpiece's "Victoria" - Season 3 .. and a Companion Series "Victoria and Alber

Message 32 of 46

@MaVolta , @catwoman500 - I get the newsletter & do read it. I missed last week's episode because I was at a Super Bowl party. I can watch it online, but I just haven'thad a chance yet.

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 46

@MaVolta ...Yes, I do get the newsletter, but often don't read it. Thanks for reminding me about it.

I'm still in denial that Nancy Skerrett is gone. Cat Sad

Love that Charles named the hotel "Nancy's".  Heart N.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 46

@catwoman500  @ASTRAEA 

That episode was a real shocker, for sure! 

Do you get the Masterpiece Newsletter? Each week there has been a link to commentary on the website separating fact from fiction. It's all very interesting. For episode 4, they discussed Victoria meeting Dr Snow, Florence Nightingale, and Albert at Cambridge.

She actually did meet Dr Snow and Florence Nightingale, but at a later time. The cholera outbreak in Soho was also later in the 1850's, but it was Dr Snow who found the source. 

The story of Albert at Cambridge was really true. Albert did not know that "chancellor" was an honorary title and the university was not prepared for him coming in to make changes, so the vote was very close.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/shows/victoria/#

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 46

@catwoman500  - I was invited to a Super Bowl party last night, and realized at some point that I was missing an episode of "Victoria"! I don't know how she could recommend Abigail, when it seemed she hardly knew her!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 46

@MaVolta,@ASTRAEA 

SPOILER ALERT...

Nooooooooooo! Say it isn't so! I cannot get it into my head that Nancy is gone. Here I was wondering how they were going to work it out now that she and Charles were married and had the hotel to run. I knew they couldn't stay at the palace since they were married, but I thought maybe Victoria would bend the rules or that they would include snippets of how the Francatellis were living their dream. I NEVER expected this at all! Cat Sad

When Victoria finally read Nancy's letter, it said that she recommended Abigail (one of the Chartists) to replace her. Now I'm wondering if that will even happen. IMDb has her listed for just 3 episodes.

I'm not liking this at all. ARRRGHHH! N.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 46

I think that it's interesting to check the real history against the historical dramas. The framework is generally accurate, but they do like to take liberties with certain characters and events for the sake of drama. I read a lot of history and biographies, so it's always fun to see what the real people were like. There are also some good film documentaries out there, and for V&A in particular.

I did watch the V&A Wedding feature that followed. I don't know how many episodes there are but this was the first installment. It was interesting because the producers tried to accurately recreate everything about the wedding to the finest detail. This included a hand-sewn wedding dress, period costumes for the guests, and a uniform for Albert; the music that was played including singers and choir, a church and organ most similar to that of the royal chapel, the menu of food that was served and a replication of the royal wedding cake. This required a great deal of research and finding period correct articles for the reproduction, not to mention crafts people to do all the work. To make the cake, they had to have an artisan made cake pan to the correct specifications in order to bake and assemble it correctly! It's hard to imagine how much $$$$$ was spent to pull this off.

The special also covered some background about Albert and Victoria that was included in Victoria Season 1. The basic workings of S1 proved fairly accurate.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 46

@ASTRAEA...OK, Thanks! Guess I need to bone up on my French history! Cat LOL

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 46

@catwoman500 - Don't feel too bad for Louis Philippe; none of that upheaval should have been a surprise to him. Monarchs had been overthrown & executed several times, before being restored, and some deposed again. Read Wikipedia; it gets very complicated with the Bourbon family! Interestingly, he also wasn't the first to wind up seeking refuge in Great Britain, and expecting a stipend from the reigning monarch!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 46

Hi,

I did watch episode 1 last night, and yes, it's off to a roaring start. I don't like Feodora at all! I had read somewhere that there was a half-sister and half-brother.

Little Bertie is quite a piece of work. I just got an email from Masterpiece that I haven't read yet. it's called the "Crowns are for girls" edition and has a bunch of articles on the characters and how close they come to being historically accurate, so I'll have to check that out.

I felt bad for King Louis Phillippe.

Wondering if Nancy and Charles are going to be able to keep their engagement a secret.

Wishing it was longer than an hour each time.

Didn't watch the program following it since I had to catch Madam Secretary on CBS. N.

Kudos
Views