Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Masterpiece's "Victoria" - Season 3 .. and a Companion Series "Victoria and Alber

Message 41 of 46

@MaVolta - I have to correct that it's Laurence Fox, son of actor James Fox! I just read that he's also a singer/songwriter/guitarist!

They really do take liberties with the casting, especially casting much younger, good-looking actors, than the historic figures they were playing! Lord Melbourne was 58 when Victoria became Queen at age 19; Rufus Sewell was 49 during the filming .. 9 years younger than Melbourne.

Since last night's episode mentioned French King Louis Phillippe being deposed, it had to be 1848. Foreign Secretary, Lord Palmerston would have been 64 at the time .. compared to Laurence Fox being only 40!

Did you watch the documentary following about "The Wedding" of Victoria & Albert? I started to, but fell asleep within 10 minutes! Smiley Sad

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Masterpiece's "Victoria" - Season 3 .. and a Companion Series "Victoria and Alber

Message 42 of 46

It was on last night in my area. They're off to a roaring start! 

@ASTRAEA

[I thought I recognized James Fox in the trailer; he played DS James Hathaway on the "Inspector Lewis" series]

Glad you mentioned that! I kept trying to place him. We used to watch "Inspector Lewis" series.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 46

So who watched the new season premiere last night? 

I didn't realize that Queen Victoria's mother, also "Victoria," was a German widow with children, when she married Prince Edward of England. Not only did she have the daughter Feodora - Queen Victoria's half sister - but Prince Carl of Leiningen, for whom she was regent for 4 years until her remarriage. The storyline of her fleeing to England from the spa at Baden-Baden due to an uprising, seems questionable. Wikipedia says that after her marriage at Kensington Palace, to Ernst I, Prince of Hohenloe-Langenburg, they returned to the German Confederation, where she lived until she died at age 64, with 6 children. It also says she maintained a life-long correspondence with Queen Victoria, and was accorded an "allowance" every time she visited.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 46

@catwoman500 - I actually get WHYY on the Jersey shore too! So I have 3 PBS stations; Thirteen from NYC, NJTV, and WHYY. Most of the time WHYY broadcasts the same thing Thirteen does, sometimes slightly off time-wise.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 46

Can't wait for the return of Victoria!

On my PBS station, WHYY, it airs Sunday nights starting this Sunday, 1/13.

Jenna Coleman was interviewed on the Today Show this morning, but didn't give away any secrets. N.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Masterpiece's "Victoria" - Season 3 .. and a Companion Series "Victoria and Albert: The Wedding"

Message 46 of 46

Next Monday (1/13) .. or sometime next week on everyone's local PBS station, "Victoria" is back:

"It is 1848, and revolution is breaking out across Europe. In Britain, one woman stands between order and chaos: Queen Victoria. Jenna Coleman stars as the young but fearless monarch, facing a crisis that threatens to end her reign"

"Victoria" Season 3 Trailer

[I thought I recognized James Fox in the trailer; he played DS James Hathaway on the "Inspector Lewis" series]

And after "Victoria" on Sunday nights, Lucy Worsley hosts a new series, "Victoria and Albert: The Wedding"

"Enjoy a recreation of the wedding that changed British matrimonial ceremonies forever. This series, hosted by Lucy Worsley, celebrates an enduring love that was to melt the nation's heart and set the standard for generations of brides to come."

Kudos
Views
Replies