Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Masterpiece Theater's "The Miniaturist"

Message 21 of 25

@catwoman500 - Good idea! Considering all that we learned about the characters in episode 1, it might be very confusing to try to start by just watching episode 2! As I mentioned in my first post, the episode ended with what would be a shocker today, but would have been even more traumatic in the late 17th century!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 25

@ASTRAEA, Thanks. I did get an email from Masterpiece yesterday with a link. I sent it to my friend and she has already watched it, so I intend to watch it sometime today before we meet for dinner so we can talk about it. N.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 25

IF ANYONE WANTS TO CATCH UP WATCHING EPISODE 1 ONLINE:

The Miniaturist - Episode 1

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 25

This sounds great. Not sure why I missed it. I will have to check it out!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Masterpiece Theater's "The Miniaturist"

Message 25 of 25

Are you watching this new series on PBS, "The Miniaturist"?

Episode one was fascinating; a beautiful young woman named Nella (Petronella) is married to wealthy older Amsterdam merchant Johannes Brandt, in the late 17th century. The match is made to settle debts her family had & save them from ruin. Johannes seems kindly (and good looking), albeit very standoffish, towards his new wife (as yet unconsumated) .. but his severe & pius sister Marin is anything but welcoming to their house.

The title comes from Johannes' wedding present to Nella, a large doll house that is a miniature of his own house .. a big indulgence that angers Marin. She gives Nella a booklet of merchants, so she can order miniature pieces to decorate the house. Nella contacts a merchant, telling him of several pieces she wants, but never sees him. The package he sends includes more than her order .. like a cradle! She's upset, and writes to the miniaturist formally stopping her business with him, but the packages continue to arrive anyway, and are identical to the big house's furniture & inhabitants. After she places the Marin miniature in the house upside down, Marin becomes ill in church!

One of the items sent is a fancy box, identical to one in Johannes' office. In a hidden drawer in the miniature she finds keys .. and looks for them in her husband's office at home. What she finds when she uses the key to let herself into his business office is quite shocking .. so I won't say more here .. but I'm dying to see episode 2!!

Kudos
Views
Replies