Credit freezes are free under a federal law that just went into effect. Learn how to protect your credit.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Masterpiece Theater's "The Miniaturist"

Message 1 of 21

@catwoman500 - Yes, Jack was the guy with Johannes, and that's why it seemed such a coincidence that he would be the person the miniaturist chose to be her deliveryman .. unless it wasn't a coincidence at all!

Aren't they all supposed to be so religious; would Marin be having sex with Lucas?! With Johannes being gay, I can't imagine him having vaginal sex with Marin.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 21

@ASTRAEA, Now you know why I said I had more questions after this episode! Woman Surprised

I was blown away when they showed Marin was pregnant. I was thinking maybe the father was that husband of the sugar obsessed woman...I just don't know.

Jack Philips is the guy that Johannes was with, right?

The Miniaturist is still a mystery to me, too.

Book...Yes, the author is Jessie Burton and the book came out in 2014. I had had it on my Amazon list for a couple of years and then decided not to get it, took it off my list, and forgot about it until a friend of mine said she had read it in her book club. Now I wish I had read the book first.

How are they ever going to finish this up in one more hour? N.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 21

@catwoman500 - I just watched episode 2 online .. OMG! You have to wonder why Johannes wasn't more careful about what he did. And how did that happen to Marin; Johannes isn't even interested in his wife, why touch Marin? And how does the miniaturist fit into all of this? If what she's doing is so hush-hush, why would she have left a package with the neighboring shopkeeper? Why would she have gone into hiding do, and the authorities be looking for her? I'm assuming that Marin was about to take poison to kill herself, or induce a miscarriage. I didn't realize this was based on a book.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 21

@ASTRAEA, yes...any bad animal news...I mute and look away!

Wondering what others are thinking about episode 2!

Now that you mentioned Sir Edmund Hillary, my brain is telling me that I did hear he was from down under, but that info was apparently buried under everything else in my "attic" Cat LOL N.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 21

@catwoman500 - I went to a show & dinner out on Sunday, and didn't want to catch the last 20 minutes .. so I still have to watch it online. Thanks for the warning about animals; I sometimes change the channel during things like that I don't want to watch! So there's only 3 episodes all together? I think that originally there were 6, but they put 2 together each week for the American audiences.

I also started watching another documentary on PBS, about Sir Edmund Hillary; the first man to reach the summit of Mount Everest. It's very interesting; I never realized he was a "kiwi"!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 21

Well! Episode 2 was certainly eye opening. Some questions were answered and more popped up. I am still a little confused. Not sure how everything can be resolved in the next and final episode. Wished I had read the book first.

If you haven’t watched it yet…spoiler alert for animal lovers. UGH! N.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 21

@ASTRAEA...YES! LOL! Cat LOL

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 21

With the crappy weather we're having, I wish we could binge watch the whole thing this weekend! Smiley Wink

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 21

@ASTRAEA, I actually thought the cloaked woman might be the Miniaturist as I was watching and then caught the name as the credits rolled at the end of the episode. Then after we had been chatting I did Google the cast to make sure I caught that correctly.

Yikes...so many questions to be answered and connections to be made!

Yes, the mystery could be because she's a woman and women just were not seen as legitimate business people at that time! N.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 21

@catwoman500 wrote:

@ASTRAEA, For some reason I did focus on the messenger, maybe because he was kind of good looking, but surly. It was such a brief glance when Nella opened the door to the office, I couldn't tell, but thought it might be him.

Then I thought it might make sense since he would probably know all about the Brandt house and tell the miniaturist? I also wonder why she (the Miniaturist) keeps appearing and disappearing.

Did you mean that we actually SAW the miniaturist, or that we know they were around because the pieces were made, but never at their studio when a client came? One legitimate reason someone might not be seen, was the attitudes towards women & a "woman's place" in the late 17th century! Despite her skill as an artisan, a woman might not be taken seriousely. There were also restrictions on women getting financing & running businesses.

Kudos
Views