Starting a small business? Already own one and have questions? Ask the experts in AARP's small business roundtable discussion.

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Masterpiece Theater's "The Miniaturist"

Message 1 of 25

@ASTRAEA, @catwoman500, Just found your discussion, after watching the 1st episode a few nights ago.   So far I love the costumes and the dark foreboding scenery. 

hoc voluērunt
Gaius Julius Ceasar
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 25

@catwoman500 - Thanks; I didn't catch the miniaturist making that comment about Peebo .. just that they were moving. I'm not saying this was the case, but how many times do we read a book or watch a movie/TV series, where 3/4 of it is fascinating .. and then it's as if the writer either got bored or didn't quite know how to end things, so it's kind of a patchwork. I can't remember whether I read this about "The Miniaturist", or something else, but the comment was made that the characters were written very superficially, not well-developed. I kept thinking something magic or miraculous would happen, all the way to the end, to save Johannes! Maybe the rope would snap or that stone would shatter, and they'd all take it as a "sign" that he was innocent or at least to be forgiven.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 25

Hi there,

Spoiler Alert…for anyone who has not seen this last episode or read the book...

@ASTRAEA...Yes, other people have said to me that this last episode was not as thrilling as the first two. I had no clue about the “baby daddy,” although one of my friends said she was thinking that it was Otto all along. I had stuck with the idea that it was Frans’s baby just as Nella was assuming. Now the miniaturist must not have “seen” that coming as she didn’t deliver the miniature baby until after Thea was born and she was “getting out of Dodge.” All the other miniature things came before they actually happened.

As for Peebo, the miniaturist did say that Nella might as well take him since she would be leaving.

I thought it was a little mysterious that when the pastor asked what Nella wanted on Marin’s gravestone, she said, “Things can change.” And then the miniaturist said the same thing later.

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that the meeting with Nella and the miniaturist was put in just for the screenplay and was not in the book. So readers would have been even more confused than we were, I think. If anyone knows this for sure, let us know.

At the end when Nella sits at the desk and says, “I can do this,” it made me think that there could be a sequel, but the author’s second book is set in a different time and place. I didn’t realize that The Miniaturist was her debut novel. I read that she is open to writing a sequel if the story is right. N.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 25

After 2 episodes of sitting at the edge of my seat, I was disappointed & left unsatisfied by last night's series finale! I was surprised about the baby & what happened to tough-as-nails Marin. I was sure that in the end Frans would do the right thing, and Jack Philips would confess he'd made some things up .. but they didn't. I thought the miniaturist would explain herself in full, but her explanation had lots of holes in it. She implied that she was good at reading people (like Marin being pregnant), but that certainly didn't explain her knowledge of details in the Brandt household .. like that chest with a hidden drawer. I didn't understand why when Nella saw that Peebo was at the miniaturist, she didn't ask for him back, nor the miniaturist offer him back .. especially as they were moving away.

If anyone here's read the book, I'd be curious to know if everything was explained better there.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 25

@catwoman500 - Yes, Jack was the guy with Johannes, and that's why it seemed such a coincidence that he would be the person the miniaturist chose to be her deliveryman .. unless it wasn't a coincidence at all!

Aren't they all supposed to be so religious; would Marin be having sex with Lucas?! With Johannes being gay, I can't imagine him having vaginal sex with Marin.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 25

@ASTRAEA, Now you know why I said I had more questions after this episode! Woman Surprised

I was blown away when they showed Marin was pregnant. I was thinking maybe the father was that husband of the sugar obsessed woman...I just don't know.

Jack Philips is the guy that Johannes was with, right?

The Miniaturist is still a mystery to me, too.

Book...Yes, the author is Jessie Burton and the book came out in 2014. I had had it on my Amazon list for a couple of years and then decided not to get it, took it off my list, and forgot about it until a friend of mine said she had read it in her book club. Now I wish I had read the book first.

How are they ever going to finish this up in one more hour? N.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 25

@catwoman500 - I just watched episode 2 online .. OMG! You have to wonder why Johannes wasn't more careful about what he did. And how did that happen to Marin; Johannes isn't even interested in his wife, why touch Marin? And how does the miniaturist fit into all of this? If what she's doing is so hush-hush, why would she have left a package with the neighboring shopkeeper? Why would she have gone into hiding do, and the authorities be looking for her? I'm assuming that Marin was about to take poison to kill herself, or induce a miscarriage. I didn't realize this was based on a book.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 25

@ASTRAEA, yes...any bad animal news...I mute and look away!

Wondering what others are thinking about episode 2!

Now that you mentioned Sir Edmund Hillary, my brain is telling me that I did hear he was from down under, but that info was apparently buried under everything else in my "attic" Cat LOL N.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 25

@catwoman500 - I went to a show & dinner out on Sunday, and didn't want to catch the last 20 minutes .. so I still have to watch it online. Thanks for the warning about animals; I sometimes change the channel during things like that I don't want to watch! So there's only 3 episodes all together? I think that originally there were 6, but they put 2 together each week for the American audiences.

I also started watching another documentary on PBS, about Sir Edmund Hillary; the first man to reach the summit of Mount Everest. It's very interesting; I never realized he was a "kiwi"!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 25

Well! Episode 2 was certainly eye opening. Some questions were answered and more popped up. I am still a little confused. Not sure how everything can be resolved in the next and final episode. Wished I had read the book first.

If you haven’t watched it yet…spoiler alert for animal lovers. UGH! N.

Kudos
Views