From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Masterpiece Theater's "The Miniaturist"

Message 11 of 25

@ASTRAEA...YES! LOL! Cat LOL

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 25

With the crappy weather we're having, I wish we could binge watch the whole thing this weekend! Smiley Wink

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 25

@ASTRAEA, I actually thought the cloaked woman might be the Miniaturist as I was watching and then caught the name as the credits rolled at the end of the episode. Then after we had been chatting I did Google the cast to make sure I caught that correctly.

Yikes...so many questions to be answered and connections to be made!

Yes, the mystery could be because she's a woman and women just were not seen as legitimate business people at that time! N.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 25

@catwoman500 wrote:

@ASTRAEA, For some reason I did focus on the messenger, maybe because he was kind of good looking, but surly. It was such a brief glance when Nella opened the door to the office, I couldn't tell, but thought it might be him.

Then I thought it might make sense since he would probably know all about the Brandt house and tell the miniaturist? I also wonder why she (the Miniaturist) keeps appearing and disappearing.

Did you mean that we actually SAW the miniaturist, or that we know they were around because the pieces were made, but never at their studio when a client came? One legitimate reason someone might not be seen, was the attitudes towards women & a "woman's place" in the late 17th century! Despite her skill as an artisan, a woman might not be taken seriousely. There were also restrictions on women getting financing & running businesses.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 25

@catwoman500 - So you checked the cast, to confirm that at least we know that the messenger isn't also the miniaturist! Hmm .. so I wonder what the link is between the miniaturist & Johannes' family!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 25

Way too many questions to be answered.  Cat Surprised

This is a very mysterious story. Emily Berrington is the actress who plays the "now you see her; now you don't" Miniaturist.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 25

@catwoman500 - I watched parts of episode 1 again, and you may be correct, that the man Johannes is with is the messenger. The first thought is that the whole thing is contrived, but Marin gave Nella that catalog of tradesmen, and Nella picked a miniaturist out herself .. unless there was only the one listed.

You have to wonder if the "messenger" is actually the miniaturist himself, and practices "the dark arts" .. making things happen like voodoo with his miniatures, to manage his relationship with Johannes.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 25

@ASTRAEA, For some reason I did focus on the messenger, maybe because he was kind of good looking, but surly. It was such a brief glance when Nella opened the door to the office, I couldn't tell, but thought it might be him.

Then I thought it might make sense since he would probably know all about the Brandt house and tell the miniaturist? I also wonder why she (the Miniaturist) keeps appearing and disappearing.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 25

@catwoman500 - I'd have to watch it again; I was too shocked to look closely at who Johannes was with, when Nella came to his office. I'm not sure I would have made a connection with the messenger.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 25

What an intriguing story!

Question...was that the Miniaturist's messenger that Johannes was with when Nella arrived at his office?

That Marin is a real trip, isn't she?

Can't wait for the next episode! N.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors