Prevention is the best medicine when it comes to avoiding surprise medical bills! Learn more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Les Miserables on Masterpiece, Sunday

Message 1 of 8

@catwoman500  - You might like Endeavour. Like most of the British crime dramas, they will turn you every which way before they finally tell you who dunnit. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 8

Since I didn't know the story because I never wanted to know the story, I was surprised when Javert offed himself.

All my friends said, "Well, we know what happens in the end." I didn't, so am glad I stuck with this whole version to the end. I was confused that Maruis...(keep wanting to call him Larry, from the Durrells, HA!) didn't realize it was Valjean that saved him. I was weondering why he wasn't more friendly to him Cat LOL

So what comes next on PBS? I don't watch Endeavour...maybe I should.

Just saw a trailer for the Downton Abbey movie. Can't wait!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 8

The finale didn't disappoint. I had forgotten most the movie, so it had me all the way to the end. 

The biggest surprise for me was how Javert struggled with being shown mercy by Valjean, who released him from capture rather than killing him. In return, Javert seemed compelled to do likewise for Valjean, and let him go free. But then he couldn't deal with it, and did himself in by jumping into the River Seine. 

The evil minded Thenardier, who seems to show up everywhere and see everything, turns up at the end to spill all of the beans. Cosette learns the truth about Valjean. They also learn the truth about Javert's suicide and that he wasn't killed by Valjean, as rumored. And finally, that it was Valjean who saved Marius at the blockade. In the end, Cosette and Marius were able to reunite with Valjean before he died.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 8

Hi, Everyone!

@MaVolta ...For years and years people had told me about Les Mis. and it always sounded so depressing to me, which is why I was never keen to see it in any version. I agree about the level of detail and YIKES! Cat Surprised

I will continue to watch though. Finding it hard to still like David Oyelowo and keep his character in this production from making me hate him! HA!

The new law student (can't keep any of these names straight, especially the French ones) who is obsessed with Cozette is the actor who plays the eldest son from The Durrells on Corfu.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 8

This has been one of the toughest ones for me to watch, or sometimes have to leave the room. I don't recall this level of detail in the movie versions, but it's been a long time since I saw it. It looks like the next episode jumps ahead about 20 years.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 8

Sunday nights are for now straight PBS..Midwife, Les Mis, and Unforgotten!

I never ever wanted to see Les Mis, so never saw any version at all. This time I thought it would be a  good time to try it out and I'm glad I watched the first episode.

I was never interested in the story at all, so it's like something brand new for me. Cat Happy N.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 8

Thanks for the reminder!!

Victor Hugo’s masterpiece Les Misérables comes to television in a six-part adaptation by multi award-winning screenwriter Andrew Davies. See the premiere on-air and online Sunday, April 14, 9/8c on MASTERPIECE on PBS. You can also watch all six episodes the night of premiere with PBS Passport, an added member benefit.

Dominic West stars as fugitive Jean Valjean, with David Oyelowo as his pursuer Inspector Javert and Lily Collins as the luckless single mother Fantine. Love, death, and the struggle for social justice in early 19th-century France feature in this beautifully faithful retelling of one of the world’s most beloved stories.

The distinguished British cast also includes Adeel Akhtar (The Night ManagerMurdered By My Father) and Academy Award winner Olivia Colman (The FavouriteMurder On The Orient ExpressThe Night ManagerBroadchurch) as Monsieur and Madame Thénardier, Ellie Bamber (Nocturnal AnimalsPride And Prejudice And Zombies) as Cosette, Josh O’Connor (The Durrells in Corfu) as Marius and Erin Kellyman (Raised By Wolves) as Éponine.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/shows/les-miserables/

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Les Miserables on Masterpiece, Sunday

Message 8 of 8

Les Miserables primieres Sunday evening (April 14th) on Masterpiece. I'm looking forward to this one. I've seen a few movie versions and the musical, and I always enjoy it. There will be six episodes. 

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors