Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Indian Summers: Coming In September

Message 1 of 68
@nyadrn wrote:

Wow   reading all of your comments about the season finale  was almost as much fun as watching it!!

Boy I detest Cynthia  and Ralph  kind of.  She at least is who she is and does not pretend to be otherwise.. I was so sad to see him come back and get her back to the club..  and he can no longer pretend that he does not know what she is and what he is..   I feel sorry for the new wife to be.

Great story lines all and good riddance to the missionary's wife!!! and unfortunate son. 

I don't know how much sympathy I have for Madeleine & Eugene Mathers. At best, they were using an American family fortune to buy themselves social status & a marriage for her. But with the fortune now non-existent, they are frauds. Madeleine is also fortunate in being able to use her looks & sex appeal to advance herself. My feeling is that she & Ralph deserve each other, one way or another!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 68

Wow   reading all of your comments about the season finale  was almost as much fun as watching it!!

Boy I detest Cynthia  and Ralph  kind of.  She at least is who she is and does not pretend to be otherwise.. I was so sad to see him come back and get her back to the club..  and he can no longer pretend that he does not know what she is and what he is..   I feel sorry for the new wife to be.

Great story lines all and good riddance to the missionary's wife!!! and unfortunate son.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 68

Snort!

Quite a visual I had in my mind of drunken Cynthia falling down a flight of stairs. Wishful thinking, Astraea! Cat LOL

The woman we love to hate. Nancy

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 68

@Chris7715 - It's typical on TV & in the movies, and even in real life, that some people feel an immediate connection, and think they're "in love" .. when it can only be lust or chemistry when it happens that quickly.

I think that every interaction between Aafrin & Alice is relatively short, because they're either afraid they'll be seen together, or it would seem inappropriate that they're talking too long .. considering their relative positions. It's not surprising that Alice trusts Ralph more than Aafrin does, and even if Ralph didn't like their relationship .. he'd probably get rid of Aafrin, but do nothing to hurt Alice.

I have to confess, when I saw Cynthia so drunk, that I first thought she'd set the building on fire when she lit the lamp in her room! Then I thought she might walk down a flight of stairs, and wind up rolling down on her head .. end of Cynthia! Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 68

One thing I found strange in the finale. Alice and Aafrin declared their love for each other yet they don't really know each other ... perhaps they should have declared their lust for each other instead. Anyhow, Alice told Aafrin that they should tell her brother Ralph about them being together so he would help them. Yet after Aafrin found out about Ralph being the duplicitous creep that he is, Aafrin told Alice he did not speak to her brother because he could not trust him and Ralph is a dangerous man. Alice, who seems truly fond of her brother, never questioned Aafrin about that statement. You would think she would have said something like why or what do you mean? Instead she just seemed to accept that statement. I found that odd. Can't wait until the show comes  back next season to see where the relationship stands in three years time.

Chris

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 68

@catwoman500 - Thanks for all the little details!! These story lines are typical of the expression, "If you lie down with dogs, you'll wake up with fleas". Both Ralph & Alice have "things to hide", and they come back to bite them many times in different ways .. and maybe worse than just 'fessing up to their original situations. Look how that evil wimp Sarah twisted Alice around her finger, once she knew! The people who "help" .. like Cynthia .. don't help to be "helpful", but to have something to hold over the other person's head!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 68

Astraea wrote…”I have to see if I can find previous episodes online to 'fill in the gaps’ ... unless you guys are willing to answer a few questions:”

- Why did Ralph seem to have a falling out with Cynthia .. did that have to do with her telling him that the Matthers really didn't have money, and expecting him to cancel his engagement to Madeleine?

Things have escalated with Ralph and Cynthia over a few episodes… I copied several things from a blog I found and now can’t find it again so here goes: “Jaya tells Ralph that many men have been cruel to her, and also one Englishwoman.”

“Ralph, as a young assistant magistrate, once helped a south Indian man in a land dispute. The grateful man, Chandru Mohan, took Ralph back to his home where he met his daughter, Jaya. They fell in love, in secret; but someone whispered of their affair to the village elders, and Ralph was transferred to Burma, thousands of miles away from the woman he loved – and who bore his baby. Heartbreakingly, Ralph now realizes who that someone was.”

Confrontation with Cynthia…“What did you think would happen to a pregnant, unmarried woman on her own with no one to protect her?”, he seethes.

“I expect every dog in the district had his fun with her,” replies Cynthia, her ugliness truly shining through. The squalor of Cynthia and Ralph’s relationship has come to a head, both locked into a poisonous co-dependence without hope of escape, their lies twisted round each other like roots. “I am here to stop you falling down and hurting yourself,” pleads this twisted maternal figure.”

- How was Ralph involved with Sarah Raworth's leaving (return to England?)? Too bad she didn't leave Matthew with his father; I think they bought would have liked that better, and she wouldn't get to poison the child against his father & India!

Alice went to Ralph and told him that Sarah was going to “out” her (about her husband being alive) at the club in front of everybody. He miraculously had a friend in charge at a prestigious school back home and would surely be able to find a place for Matthew. Of course Sarah jumped at that and off they went.

I think that Darius Dalal (Aafrin's father) is so blinded by idealism, and part of the older generation, in how he views the British & their treatment of natives, that his treatment at the club didn't bother him so much as Aafrin. What surprised me, is that despite the "agreement", either Cynthia didn't make clear to hr staff that Aafrin was now a full-fledged member & due proper treatment by the staff, or the native employees themselves had become just as discriminatory against their fellow Indians, as were the British themselves! Also as if they resented that he could/should be treated "better" than they were.

Oh, Cynthia is the biggest racist! She hates that her house is being open to all races. Hope this helps. N.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 68

I have to see if I can find previous episodes online to 'fill in the gaps" .. unless you guys are willing to answer a few questions:

- Why did Ralph seem to have a falling out with Cynthia .. did that have to do with her telling him that the Matthers really didn't have money, and expecting him to cancel his engagement to Madeleine?

- How was Ralph involved with Sarah Raworth's leaving (return to England?)? Too bad she didn't leave Matthew with his father; I think they bought would have liked that better, and she wouldn't get to poison the child against his father & India!

I think that Darius Dalal (Aafrin's father) is so blinded by idealism, and part of the older generation, in how he views the British & their treatment of natives, that his treatment at the club didn't bother him so much as Aafrin. What surprised me, is that despite the "agreement", either Cynthia didn't make clear to hr staff that Aafrin was now a full-fledged member & due proper treatment by the staff, or the native employees themselves had become just as discriminatory against their fellow Indians, as were the British themselves! Also as if they resented that he could/should be treated "better" than they were.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 68

I agree with Astraea about the “evolution of Ian McLeod.”

Loved the parade and celebration with the “ashes” of Sood.

Was sure hoping Aafrin would have arrived there in time to save Sood, but alas!

I had a feeling Ralph would take the “hang him” letter instead of the other one. He is just not a good person.

So glad Sarah hit the trail with poor little slob Matthew…one good thing Ralph did!

Felt so bad for Aafrin’s father when he took him as his guest to the club, but the old guy retained his dignity when denied a drink at the bar.

Interesting that the last word in the finale was “encore” as Ralph gets old Cynthia back to her club.

And I did hear them say after the finale was over that the next season starts 3 years later.

I did enjoy this show, but really needed a road map sitting beside me to get all the names of all the characters. Nancy

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 68

@Chris7715 - Thankfully, there's a "Character Hub" for the series, that not only tells you about all the regular characters, but the actors who play the parts: Indian Summers Character Hub.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the evolution of Ian McLeod, nephew of the late, laggard Stafford Armitage! He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but rose to the occasion, developing a friendship with Ramu Sood .. and stealing a box he thought contained Sood's ashes, to bring to his village.

I'm always impressed when these characters do something against the stereotype initially presented of them. So "good guy" Ralph maybe not be that good, and sloppy drunk Ian may wind up being a hero. It remains to be seen, what Aafrin & Alice will make of their multiple complex situations.

Kudos
Views