Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!

Info Seeker

Re: Early TV programs Do You Remember These?

Message 71 of 186

I was a contestant in the Ted Mack show back in spring of 1970.  Sang “Mame” at the producer’s request.  Didn’t win.  But it was quite an experience.

Report Inappropriate Content
Conversationalist

Message 72 of 186

Here are a few of my favorites:

What's My Line?

Candid Camera

Kids Say the Darnedest Things

The Ed Sullivan Show

Hullaboo

American Bandstand

All in the Family

~Sharon~
Conversationalist

Message 73 of 186

Wonderful old shows. Love Amos and Andy. Always wanted to be a member of

the Peanut Gallery on the Doody show. They would give away a huge Toosie Roll filled with their candy.  I Love Lucy was a great favorite as was the Lone Ranger. Many of the shows can be seen on streaming video over the internet. 

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 74 of 186

hesshaus wrote:

There was a radio program, Queen For A Day, that was popular on radio.  This made a transition to the early days of TV.  They had the same host, Jack Bailey.  Don't know how long it lasted on television , but  I remember watching it.  

Oh, Lordy, Queen for a Day. We watched it on TV. As kids we thought it was wonderful and how lucky these ladies were to get all thes prizes, but our mothers just shook their heads at how these womens' "poor me" stories were being aired all over the country...so embarrassing! Compare that now to all the reality shows that bare everything and social media that is just so intrusive, and Queen for a Day seems like nothing. Cat LOL

Info Seeker

Message 75 of 186

Loved that show 

Conversationalist

Message 76 of 186

There was a radio program, Queen For A Day, that was popular on radio.  This made a transition to the early days of TV.  They had the same host, Jack Bailey.  Don't know how long it lasted on television , but  I remember watching it.  

Info Seeker

Message 77 of 186
I thought it was $100 also.
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 78 of 186

w972822m wrote:
Ah the duck! that was the 'Best of Groucho' with Groucho Marx and his sidekick/announcer George Fenneman. Fenneman would announce the contestants and say 'come on out and meet Groucho Marx. The contestants came out and Groucho wotld say 'say the secret word and the duck will come down and pay you $50.00 dollars, it's acommon thing you see every day". The secret word could be anything and if the contestants said the word and it could be something really obscure, the stuffed duck came down and the music started. A bit of real obscure tv trivia from the late 1950's

@w972822m  Wow. My early years are a trivia question LOL 😂 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 79 of 186

wmolson wrote:

Ahhh, the duck! "Say the secret word and win $100(?)" Not sure on the amount; that was about 60 years ago.

@wmolson  Wow has it been that long? LOL. 😂

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Gold Conversationalist

Message 80 of 186
Ah the duck! that was the 'Best of Groucho' with Groucho Marx and his sidekick/announcer George Fenneman. Fenneman would announce the contestants and say 'come on out and meet Groucho Marx. The contestants came out and Groucho wotld say 'say the secret word and the duck will come down and pay you $50.00 dollars, it's acommon thing you see every day". The secret word could be anything and if the contestants said the word and it could be something really obscure, the stuffed duck came down and the music started. A bit of real obscure tv trivia from the late 1950's
Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.
Top Kudoed Authors