Honored Social Butterfly

Early TV programs Do You Remember These?

Ted Mack and the Original Amateur Hour. 1948 to 1980

A direct descendant of radio's "Major Bowes Original Amateur Hour" (1934-1946), hosted by Major Edward Bowes until his death. After a one-year hiatus, Ted Mack, who had directed Bowes' auditions, revived the show (which lasted into 1952) and brought the concept to the DuMont Television Network. The at-home audience voted by postcard for the favorite, winning performer(s) each week.

i love the voting by post cards 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Regular Contributor

I remember hearing the Alfred Hitchcock music. His show was after my bedtime. I've seen a lot of them since then, of course. I remember Victory at Sea, because my dad was in WWII, also Navy Log, West Point, Men of Annapolis.

Conversationalist

Men of Annapolis! Without checking: not on very long and with Gary Lockwood?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Men of Annapolis was a non-linear series, with episodes about different cadets each week. It might have had a host to introduce the stories, but I don't remember who.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

And you are correct. It was an anthology type show. I did watch it; but obviously not all the episodes. I checked and had it confused with a short-lived early/mid 1960's TV series "The Lieutenant" which did star Gary Lockwood.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Loved the poetry quoting mercenary, Paladin. But my favorite westerns were the neglected Sam Peckinpah "Westerner"  with Brian Keith and the melancholy "Outlaws"..

Honored Social Butterfly

@mr5822 wrote:

Loved the poetry quoting mercenary, Paladin. But my favorite westerns were the neglected Sam Peckinpah "Westerner"  with Brian Keith and the melancholy "Outlaws"..

We saw Paladin for the first time a few weeks back while staying in Utah. We were pretty amused to see such an old show playing back to back. And yes: remarkably uncomplicated programming and acting. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Trusted Contributor

Anybody remember the one hour western Wagon Train, mid to late 1950's?

Periodic Contributor

Wasn’t there a spin-off of Wagon Train with the guy who did the scouting for the ‘train’? Believe his real last name was Horton.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Robert Horton played Flint McCullough, the scout on Wagon Train, for the first seasons. He left to pursue other things, one of which was the Broadway musical, The Rainmaker. He did have another western series after Wagon Train, but it wasn't a spinoff. It was A Man Called Shenandoah. In the show, a man shot and left for dead on the trail is found and revived. He has no recollection of his past and, calling himself Shenandoah, roams the West in search of his identity. Horton's last role was on "Murder, She Wrote." He died in 2016 at 91.

Trusted Contributor

I loved Wagon Train, Bonanza, and of course Burns and Allen was a favorite along with I Love Lucy.

Contributor

Yes, I remember sitting on the floor, at my father's feet, watching this show. Westward ho.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Ah yes, Westward Ho, with J Carrol Nash and Jo Ann Dru.  As I recall this show was about a woman who ran a ranch in New Mexico and had her run ins with an Indian she called "hawkeye", wow, this one is so obscure, it lasted only a couple of years and how many remember it?

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Re the short lived  1960-61 sitcom 'Westward Ho', it was 'Guestward Ho'.,I stand corrected . Joanne Dru as Babs, her husband and son escape New York to operate a guest ranch in New Mexico. The show also had Mark Miller, her husband Bill, Flip Mark, her son Brook, respectively.  J Caroll Naish as 'Hawkeye' an Indian neighbor if I recall who befriends them.  this show aired on NBC chennel 4 in los Angeles and lasted only one season!.  It also had a theme song that i think went something like this:

Over the Mountains, Guestward Ho!,
Over the Plains, Guestward Ho!
Under a sun so hot that it can rattle your brains,
Together we roam like a stage
Over rattlesnake and sage
Guestward Ho!
Guestward Ho!

Guestward Ho!, over the mighty river
Faithfully on we go,
Climb with those dragging feet
Guestward Ho!

Bury the mountains, Guestward Ho!
Bury the Hills, Guestward Ho!
Bury whatever threatens our family’s pioneer plans,
And so with spunk and with romance,
We’ll live out our western dance,
Guestward Ho!,
Guestward Ho!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

That show was "Guestward Ho," which was the name of JoAnn Dru's ranch. It had one season, 1960-61.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Anyone remember Captain Video and his Video Rangers?  The was a very early TV program filmed in Pittsburgh duing the late 40's and ealry 50's as I recall.

newpitts

Regular Social Butterfly

@lucky1338wrote:

Anyone remember Captain Video and his Video Rangers?  The was a very early TV program filmed in Pittsburgh duing the late 40's and ealry 50's as I recall.

newpitts

I remember Captain Video.  In one episode, he walked on Jupiter.  

You are getting sleepy.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I remember! Miss the simplicity of life in the late 40’s and early 50’s. The Lone Ranger every Thursday evening at eight sponsored by Gold Medal Flour. 

Contributor

Met them both, even got a gift of helmet. REALLY cheap plastic.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Here's a real , real, real obscure one:  Anybody rember 'Window on Main Street' with Robert Young, (father knows best).  This half hour sitcom supposedly took place in New England. This show, like Guestward Ho lasted only one seaason, i think 1961-62.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I liked the first Captain Video better than his replacement.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I remember Captain Video  and the Video Rangers!  It started me on a life-long love of astronomy. Do you remember the plastic screen with blue, green, red and yellow taped on the black & white TV to make -WOW- color TV?  All the old westerns- Hopalong Cassidy, Bob Steele, Gabby Hayes, Lash LaRue, and Tom Mix.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

How about Mickey Mouse Club, Loretta Young, Leave It To Beaver, As The World Turns, Lawrence Welk, Ed Sullivan Show, Carol Burnett, Shirley Temple.  I loved the old cartoons such as Popeye The Sailor, Tom and Jerry.

Conversationalist

"Little Rascals" or an earlier version: "Our Gang"

Conversationalist

I grew up with Television - Uncle Miltie, Howdy Doody, Sky King.  My favorite show was the Red Skelton Show where he always ended with a "God Bless!:

Periodic Contributor

Love all of those shows. Ah the programs of the late 40’s and early 50’s. Things were so simple then. Love all the new electronics of today but miss the drug stores with soda fountains and the old five and dime.  Are there any old fashion drug stores remaining? The days of walking to the neighborhood school, the yummy man selling ice cream treats (and only paying a nickel or a dime fore a huge ice cream bar or push-up) on summer afternoons and evenings.  But I digress, sorry. Thanks for the memories. 

I was in the Peanut Gallery of the Howdy Doody show once!
Periodic Contributor

I barely remember Ted Mack's Amateur Hour. What I remember is, "The number to call in New York is..." It became part of the vernacular. I believe that phrase was taken from that show. I do remember more clearly Arthur Godfrey's Talent Show. I remember a meter rating the audience's applause. Arthur Godfrey also had a daytime show. He was one of my mom's favorites.

Regular Contributor

There was a radio program, Queen For A Day, that was popular on radio.  This made a transition to the early days of TV.  They had the same host, Jack Bailey.  Don't know how long it lasted on television , but  I remember watching it.  

Recognized Social Butterfly

@hesshaus wrote:

There was a radio program, Queen For A Day, that was popular on radio.  This made a transition to the early days of TV.  They had the same host, Jack Bailey.  Don't know how long it lasted on television , but  I remember watching it.  

Oh, Lordy, Queen for a Day. We watched it on TV. As kids we thought it was wonderful and how lucky these ladies were to get all thes prizes, but our mothers just shook their heads at how these womens' "poor me" stories were being aired all over the country...so embarrassing! Compare that now to all the reality shows that bare everything and social media that is just so intrusive, and Queen for a Day seems like nothing. Cat LOL

Loved that show 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Online Community Refresh

Online Community has updated the site design in our discussions area to make it easier to connect, follow a conversation and access resources.

The new look and feel will be rolled out in multiple phases starting with these initial improvements in the conversations and replies levels.

Learn more about the new design today.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png