Live Your Best Life With Rewards for Good. Start Earning Reward Points Now. Get Started Now!

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Early TV programs Do You Remember These?

Message 11 of 186

Does anybody remember Lights Out?  I don't remember any of the stories, just the opening in which a man's head says, "Lights out." and blows out a candle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fv6Gs--o6U

Does anyone remember The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcg_ehVrvYQ

I was 13 at the time and the girls on that show were the most beautiful of any show up to that time, so, of course, I remember.  I haven't seen any reruns on broadcast TV.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 12 of 186

Just watched Sea Hunt about 2 weeks ago.

Conversationalist

Message 13 of 186

There are other shows I saw that aren't so well-remembered today. There was Frontier, a half-hour anthology program about people moving across the country in our early days. It was hosted by Walter Coy, who introduced the story, and at the end he always said, "It happened that way, movin' west." There was a half-hour show in 1953 titled Orient Express, another anthology drama about people in Europe. It only showed for the one season, but I can even remember one of the stories. A card reader tells a man who he was in his previous life. The man and his wife go all over Europe looking, and discover there really was such a person. At the end they find the man's mother--the card reader herself, who had only made it up because the man was born on the day her son died. I always liked the various drama anthologies, Fireside Theater, Schlitz Playhouse, etc. I'd give a lot to see some of them again.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 14 of 186

I remember Captain Kangaroo, Romper Room, Kukla, Fran and Ollie, Sherry Lewis, and of course What's My Line, Maverick, Bonanza, Death Valley Days, Roy Rogers, Mickey Mouse Club, Ed Sullivan Show, Ozzie and Harriet, and my favorite The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show.  Those shows were so much fun, and some cable channels are now showing episodes of What's My Line, Perry Mason and some of the other classics.

We used to get together, as a family, all 8 of us and watch Ed Sullivan, Marlin Perkins Mutual of Omaha and The Wonder World of Walt Disney.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 186

Super Circus

You Asked for It

What's My Line?

Tales of Tomorrow

Lights Out

Science Fiction Theater

Mr. Wizard

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Halls of Ivy

Father Knows Best

Stu Erwin Show

Life with Elizabeth  

There were some local shows broadcast in Chicago that I watched:

Ding Dong School

Uncle Johnny Coons

Garfield Goose

The cartoons, Hardrock, Coco and Joe, and Suzy Snowflake bring tears to my eyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1WnyrHrZx4

Conversationalist

Message 16 of 186

I remember! Miss the simplicity of life in the late 40’s and early 50’s. The Lone Ranger every Thursday evening at eight sponsored by Gold Medal Flour. 

Conversationalist

Message 17 of 186

Love all of those shows. Ah the programs of the late 40’s and early 50’s. Things were so simple then. Love all the new electronics of today but miss the drug stores with soda fountains and the old five and dime.  Are there any old fashion drug stores remaining? The days of walking to the neighborhood school, the yummy man selling ice cream treats (and only paying a nickel or a dime fore a huge ice cream bar or push-up) on summer afternoons and evenings.  But I digress, sorry. Thanks for the memories. 

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 18 of 186

@lucky1338wrote:

Anyone remember Captain Video and his Video Rangers?  The was a very early TV program filmed in Pittsburgh duing the late 40's and ealry 50's as I recall.

newpitts

I remember Captain Video.  In one episode, he walked on Jupiter.  

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 19 of 186

@sasquatch69wrote:

I remember some I used to watch Saturday mornings, Sky King, Sea Hunt, and Roy Rogers and Dale Evans.

Sea Hunt was on at night immediately before Twilight Zone.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 20 of 186

@kr6809wrote:

Don't remember Ted Mack's Amateur Hour, but do you remember Andy Devine's show?  My brother LOVED the "pluck your magic twanger, Froggie".  Strange, yes, but what a memory to make me laugh.

I loved the Andy Devine Show.  Midnight, the cat, said, "Nice."  

Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.
Top Kudoed Authors