Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!

Info Seeker

Re: Early TV programs Do You Remember These?

Message 141 of 186

Met them both, even got a gift of helmet. REALLY cheap plastic.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 142 of 186

Yes.

Info Seeker

Message 143 of 186

Yes, I remember sitting on the floor, at my father's feet, watching this show. Westward ho.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 144 of 186

Anybody remember the one hour western Wagon Train, mid to late 1950's?

Gold Conversationalist

Message 145 of 186

Out of the blue of the western sky: Sky King, with Kirby Grant as Sky King!

Gold Conversationalist

Message 146 of 186

This really takes me back, i feel verklempt!   Around 1:30 - 200 AM when most of the television starions went off the air for the day, the National Anthem played and then immediately, the test pattern or a bunch of static.  This was before television became a 24 - 7 thing in the early 1970's

Conversationalist

Message 147 of 186
I think the chocolate was Bosco.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 148 of 186

Oh my God! I haven't thought or Engineer Bill in so many years.  He had a show in the late afternioon around 5:00PM, channel 9 in Los Angeles.  He'd dress as a train engineer, had an HO train layout in front of him, and had kids as guests and played cartoons, this was a 30 minute show. I was building an HO train layout at the time and a neighbor of mine appeared on the show and brought me a Lakawanna Lines Boxcar, that I still have after all these years! I think the sponsor was Ovaltine!  Do they still make Ovaltine?  I recall it was some kind of chocolate flavored and fortified drink mix you mixed with milk. This show along with Skipper Frank, and The Tom Hatton Show, which featured Popeye cartoons brings back many old memories.  But I've got one even more more obscure:  Does anyone remember Sheriff John's Lunch Brigade?  It aired at noon in Los Angeles in the mid to late 1950's on KTTV channel 5.  The show began with the pledge of allegiance and also featured Crusader Rabbit cartoons, and was a half hour show. John Rovick who played Sheriff John, was dressed as an old west sheriff, had cartoons and silly kids stuff.  I recall watching this when I was home from school for summer vacation. Also in the late 1950's to very early 1960's in the late afternoons were Bozo the Clown, cartoons and kid stuff, and  Hobo Kelly, with Sally Baker dressed as a sad looking clown on KCOP channel 13 in Los Angeles.  But i've saved the best for last.  Anyone remember 'Chucko the Birthday Clown', played by Charles 'Chuck' Runyon  This was an early morning, around 7:30 - 8:00 AM show that was a cartoon show who's principle audience was kids 4-6 years old.  Old memories brought back to life by this post!

Info Seeker

Message 149 of 186

They would sign off with the National Anthem too.  I always wondered if I had to stand up for it in my own home at midnight when everyone else had gone to bed.

Info Seeker

Message 150 of 186

I liked the first Captain Video better than his replacement.

Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.
Top Kudoed Authors