Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Early TV programs Do You Remember These?

Message 131 of 188

Here's a real , real, real obscure one:  Anybody rember 'Window on Main Street' with Robert Young, (father knows best).  This half hour sitcom supposedly took place in New England. This show, like Guestward Ho lasted only one seaason, i think 1961-62.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 132 of 188

Re the short lived  1960-61 sitcom 'Westward Ho', it was 'Guestward Ho'.,I stand corrected . Joanne Dru as Babs, her husband and son escape New York to operate a guest ranch in New Mexico. The show also had Mark Miller, her husband Bill, Flip Mark, her son Brook, respectively.  J Caroll Naish as 'Hawkeye' an Indian neighbor if I recall who befriends them.  this show aired on NBC chennel 4 in los Angeles and lasted only one season!.  It also had a theme song that i think went something like this:

Over the Mountains, Guestward Ho!,
Over the Plains, Guestward Ho!
Under a sun so hot that it can rattle your brains,
Together we roam like a stage
Over rattlesnake and sage
Guestward Ho!
Guestward Ho!

Guestward Ho!, over the mighty river
Faithfully on we go,
Climb with those dragging feet
Guestward Ho!

Bury the mountains, Guestward Ho!
Bury the Hills, Guestward Ho!
Bury whatever threatens our family’s pioneer plans,
And so with spunk and with romance,
We’ll live out our western dance,
Guestward Ho!,
Guestward Ho!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 133 of 188

That show was "Guestward Ho," which was the name of JoAnn Dru's ranch. It had one season, 1960-61.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 134 of 188

Do you remember Abbot & Costello? The famous line I always remember is "who's on first, what's on second (I don't recall the rest).  that was a famous skit.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 135 of 188

Does anyyone remember Billy Barty and the 'Three Stooges"?.  This was a late afternoon, half hour show around 5:00 PM, airing on KTTV channel 11 in Los Angeles.  It featured Billy Barty dressed up as a circus ringmaster and they had a guest 'empresario of the day' kid from the audience.  The show featured 'Three Stooges' short films from the late 1930's to early 1950's when Jerome Howard, AKA 'Curly passed. The Three Stooges started as Ted Healy and his stooges in vaudeville in the late 1920's and transitioned into radio.  In the 1930's, to the late 1940's Columbia Studios did many 'shorts' starring the 'Stooges' and co starred Christine Mc Intyre, Vernon Dent and Connie Cezanne.  Many folks don't know that Moe and Curly along with 'Shemp' were the Howard brothers. Larry's last name was Fine.  The Three Stooges were masters of slapstick comedy although many thought their antics were too voilent. Their short films still live and are as funny albeit corny as they were when they were realeased all those many years ago!

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 136 of 188

Speaking of Red Skelton, who had an hour variety show on Tuuesday evenings @ 9:00 PM in Los Angeles on CBS channel 2.  His show appeared in the early to mid 1960's, and had various guest stars.  One thing about him, he was the penultimate funny man.  I believe he got his start on radio in the 1940's and transitioned to television in the 1950's.  He also was a pantomime artist. His cjharacters, Gertrude & Heathclifffe' , the two seagulls always were funny.  But does anyone remember the 'Dean Martin Variety Show' ? It started with Dean standing on an uupper floor next to a 'tall brass pole like the kind in a firehouse, and he'sd start singing the song he's most noted for: 'Everybody Loves Somkebody Sometime', he had a cigarette in one hand, he'd then grab the pole and decend down.  He'd stagger away from the pole and usually looked half plastered.  Then usually a pretty girl appeared with a 'cocktail' and then he's croon a tune and finish by telling a joke or two, something like  "A German car, an Italian car and a Japanese car got together last weekand captured my garage".  He often had a drink in his hand and was often assisted by a bunch of pretty girls.  Bet nobody recalls their collective names, too late... 'the golddiggers'.  They were in skimpy outfits and assisted in some of the skits.  He had guest stars and I believe his show ran from 1967 - 1976 and morphed into the 'Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts'. One of his guest stars, the late Foster Brooks played a drunken commercial airline pilot and was hilarious, two drunks sitting in a piano bar getting more plastered!. I understand these are available on DVD as I've seen late nite infomercials for this series.  Too bad these shows aren't re run on broadcast television as a diversion to a lot of the mindless drivvel they call television today!

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 137 of 188

Ah yes, Westward Ho, with J Carrol Nash and Jo Ann Dru.  As I recall this show was about a woman who ran a ranch in New Mexico and had her run ins with an Indian she called "hawkeye", wow, this one is so obscure, it lasted only a couple of years and how many remember it?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 138 of 188

I didn't remember the iron & vit D part....but the rest....yes!

Thanks for that!

Anna

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 139 of 188

@maletich wrote I love Bosco....Bosco's good for me!

Bosco gives me iron and sunshine vitamin D.

Mama puts it in my milk for extra energy.

Oh, I love Bosco; Bosco is for me! Cat LOL

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 140 of 188

I love Bosco....Bosco's good for me!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors