Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Early TV programs Do You Remember These?

Message 111 of 188

I remember my sister watching American Bandstand from the original studio in Philadelphia.  She watched it everyday and knew all the regulars and their boyfriends and girlfriends and ex-boyfriends and girlfriends.  When we were on a family vacation in 1960 we tried to get tickets to the show while we were in Philly. No luck.  So we went to Pop Singer's drugstore, where the Bandstand kids hungout, and talked to Pop Singer.  He got us tickets for the following day.  We called all our friends and told them to watch.  We gave Dick Clark a stuffed monkey while he interviewed us on the program.  Still a delight to remember our moment of fame!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 112 of 188

I remember all of these and I loved December Bride. 

There was a spin-off from this early show, Pete & Gladys.

The star of Pete & Gladys maybe Henry Morgan (?) was later on M.A.S.H.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 113 of 188

The first show I remember watching on television other than the "test pattern" was the Howdy Doody Show.  My younger brother and I were allowed to sit on the living room floor to watch the show.  Other than that, or when there was company, we weren't allowed to go into the living room.  When I was older, some of the cast of the Howdy Doody show put on a show at the local high school, and students were asked to be volunteer ushers during the show, so I volunteered.  We met Claribel the clown in person.  So I got to see the Howdy Doody show in person after watching in on TV as a child.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 114 of 188

I remember watching the boys grow up on Ozzie and Harriet.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 115 of 188

Of course, you can’t forget the Ed Sullivan show, What’s My Line?, Highway Patrol, Cannon, Mannix, Art Linkletter Show.

i saw and introduced myself to Art Linkletter in the Tampa-St. Petersburg Airport in 1999. I saw him and just had to show my respects. I was later told he would frequent the airport and watch people...

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 116 of 188

My mother told me early opera soap was Peyton place.see time I wasn't born .I was born 1964

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 117 of 188

the final one is "I don't know who's on third"

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 118 of 188

Replying to "Amos 'n Andy,

Don't forget the Kingfish's wife SapphireSmiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 119 of 188
And RIn Tin Tin.
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 120 of 188

ve got anvery obscure other short run show from the mid 1950's that was kind of an audience game show where they selected an unsuspecting someone out of the audience, no it wasn't 'The Price is Right', anybody want to make a guess, too late...it was 'Queen for a Day" sponsored by Playtex and starred Jack Bailey.  It ran on CBS channel 2 in Los Angeles from 1956-1960 and on ABC channel 7 from 1960-1964.  The premise was each woman in the audience was given a questionairre and asked why they should be chosen 'Queen for a Day"  It seems the best 'sob' story got the prize.  The women interviewed asked for simple things, such as a hearing aid for their deaf child or a new refrigerator.  it was usually something that would make any housewife at the time happy, a washwer-dryer combo, a refrigerator etc  An applause meter determined the winner.  Upon winning, the chosen 'Queen for a Day' the lady was draped with a fur wrap and a tiara and music started playing.  The usual description of the prize from the manufacturer was mentioned, hey, it was a great 'plug' for their product!. Commercials featuring womans fashons were some of the sponsors.  The show morphed from 30 - 45 minutes as it became more popular.  A really obscure show rhat didn't have any similar spinoffs!  One more thing about this show, it was popular at the time as a 'game show' yet the contestants, random women chosen from the audience didn't need to have knowledge of trivia, like for Jeopardy or Who wants to be a millionaire!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors