Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Early TV programs Do You Remember These?

Message 91 of 188

dm98065675 wrote:

Carol Burnet , Ed Sulivan and Sammy Terrry

@dm98065675

Loved Carol Burnet and Ed Sullivan. Don't know Sammy Terry

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 92 of 188

rb591746 wrote:

I think of "early TV" as late 40s-early 50s.  My memories of TV in this time are precious, because I got to see so little of it.  Hartford,  CT had no station then.  I only saw TV when visiting grandmothers in New York or Pittsburgh.  I cherish shows like "the Honeymooners' (which actually started as a "bit" on the Jackie Gleason show) and Kukla Fran & Ollie (both released now on DVD).  But I long to see again another "puppet show" Johnny Jupiter, but have never been able to secure any video release of same).  Puppet shows like cartoons are mostly dependant on the quality of their writing and I never liked "kidstuff" that talked down to me, like Hanna-Barbera cartoons.  In the 50s, NY stations showed the old theatrical cartoons- Warner Bros. (talking pre-1950), Paramount, etc. as well as the Fleischer classics.  These were made for adult appeal and reflected sometimes very specific historical events like the depression and WWII. 

Hi @rb591746

check youtube for Johnny Jupiter.  It appears that there are some videos of that show 

https://youtu.be/ijZ9X53_uCM

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 93 of 188

I think of "early TV" as late 40s-early 50s.  My memories of TV in this time are precious, because I got to see so little of it.  Hartford,  CT had no station then.  I only saw TV when visiting grandmothers in New York or Pittsburgh.  I cherish shows like "the Honeymooners' (which actually started as a "bit" on the Jackie Gleason show) and Kukla Fran & Ollie (both released now on DVD).  But I long to see again another "puppet show" Johnny Jupiter, but have never been able to secure any video release of same).  Puppet shows like cartoons are mostly dependant on the quality of their writing and I never liked "kidstuff" that talked down to me, like Hanna-Barbera cartoons.  In the 50s, NY stations showed the old theatrical cartoons- Warner Bros. (talking pre-1950), Paramount, etc. as well as the Fleischer classics.  These were made for adult appeal and reflected sometimes very specific historical events like the depression and WWII. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 94 of 188

Carol Burnet , Ed Sulivan and Sammy Terry.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 95 of 188
If you like Combat, how about the Rat Patrol?
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 96 of 188

Father Knows Best, Leave It to Beaver, and Marcus Welby, MD.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 97 of 188

@2Papa wrote:

If you lived around a Deetroit, you had your lunch watching Soupy Sales with his buddies White Fang, Black Tooth, and Willie the Worm (sickest worm in Deetroit, Ah Choo).  You would see Soupy doing the Soupy Shuffle!  

Soupy Sales. I havnt heard that name in years!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 98 of 188

And The Defenders!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 99 of 188

Primetime favorites included, The Ed Sullivan Show, The Jackie Gleason Show (not to be confused with the "Honeymooners" which was also a staple!), The Jetsons --seems so lame now! :-0), Bonaza, Dr. Kildaire, Ben Casey, oh the list goes on & on! I need parameters! LOL

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 100 of 188

Does anyone remember Wonderama with Sonny Fox on Saturday morning? And of course there was Romper Room after "school". This was the 1st program that taught me how to handle change when the "star" was changed. Trivia question: what were the names of the teachers?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors