Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!

Info Seeker

Re: Early TV programs Do You Remember These?

Message 91 of 186

I think of "early TV" as late 40s-early 50s.  My memories of TV in this time are precious, because I got to see so little of it.  Hartford,  CT had no station then.  I only saw TV when visiting grandmothers in New York or Pittsburgh.  I cherish shows like "the Honeymooners' (which actually started as a "bit" on the Jackie Gleason show) and Kukla Fran & Ollie (both released now on DVD).  But I long to see again another "puppet show" Johnny Jupiter, but have never been able to secure any video release of same).  Puppet shows like cartoons are mostly dependant on the quality of their writing and I never liked "kidstuff" that talked down to me, like Hanna-Barbera cartoons.  In the 50s, NY stations showed the old theatrical cartoons- Warner Bros. (talking pre-1950), Paramount, etc. as well as the Fleischer classics.  These were made for adult appeal and reflected sometimes very specific historical events like the depression and WWII. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 92 of 186

Carol Burnet , Ed Sulivan and Sammy Terry.

Info Seeker

Message 93 of 186
If you like Combat, how about the Rat Patrol?
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 94 of 186

Father Knows Best, Leave It to Beaver, and Marcus Welby, MD.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 95 of 186

2Papa wrote:

If you lived around a Deetroit, you had your lunch watching Soupy Sales with his buddies White Fang, Black Tooth, and Willie the Worm (sickest worm in Deetroit, Ah Choo).  You would see Soupy doing the Soupy Shuffle!  

Soupy Sales. I havnt heard that name in years!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Info Seeker

Message 96 of 186

And The Defenders!

Info Seeker

Message 97 of 186

Primetime favorites included, The Ed Sullivan Show, The Jackie Gleason Show (not to be confused with the "Honeymooners" which was also a staple!), The Jetsons --seems so lame now! :-0), Bonaza, Dr. Kildaire, Ben Casey, oh the list goes on & on! I need parameters! LOL

Info Seeker

Message 98 of 186

Does anyone remember Wonderama with Sonny Fox on Saturday morning? And of course there was Romper Room after "school". This was the 1st program that taught me how to handle change when the "star" was changed. Trivia question: what were the names of the teachers?

Info Seeker +

Message 99 of 186

Robert Stack's The Untouchables & Vic Morraw's Combat.

Super Social Butterfly

Message 100 of 186

If you lived around a Deetroit, you had your lunch watching Soupy Sales with his buddies White Fang, Black Tooth, and Willie the Worm (sickest worm in Deetroit, Ah Choo).  You would see Soupy doing the Soupy Shuffle!  

Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.
Top Kudoed Authors