Honored Social Butterfly

Early TV programs Do You Remember These?

Ted Mack and the Original Amateur Hour. 1948 to 1980

A direct descendant of radio's "Major Bowes Original Amateur Hour" (1934-1946), hosted by Major Edward Bowes until his death. After a one-year hiatus, Ted Mack, who had directed Bowes' auditions, revived the show (which lasted into 1952) and brought the concept to the DuMont Television Network. The at-home audience voted by postcard for the favorite, winning performer(s) each week.

i love the voting by post cards 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Recognized Social Butterfly

I have another memory of an event, but, there is no record of it on the Internet except for me asking this question.  This happened on a talk show, maybe, the Johnny Carson Tonight Show, but, I am uncertain.  Just before President Ronald Reagan was elected in 1980, actress Nancy Walker came on the show and said, "Ronald Reagen is a very dangerous man.  Do not vote for him."  Back then such behaviour was unprecedented and that is why it sticks out in my mind.  Does anyone else remember that?

Nancy Walker:

NancyWalker.jpg

You are getting sleepy.
0 Kudos

I have what must be a false memory of an event on the TV show, You Asked for It, and I was wondering whether any of you can clear it up.  As I remember it, they told a story about people, who, as a hobby, would take filings from a junk car or bus, put the filings into their food, and, over the course of about 10 years, eat the entire motor vehicle.  If you go through the calculations, they would have to eat several pounds of filings per day.  The lead in the batteries, alone, would kill them.   Does anyone have a more accurate memory?

You are getting sleepy.
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Somebody posted earlier about the cartoons that used to be on Saturday morning: I remember Yogi Bear, Top Cat, Buggs Bunny and the Road Runner Show etc.  Even though there was plenty of violence in some of the cartoons (Tom and Jerry in particular) kids did not go out and try to blow each other up as a result.  How did we ever grow up in a time when we knew the difference between the "pretend" violence and "real" violence.  

Regular Contributor

When I was a kid the Saturday morning started with Captain Kangaroo, who showed Tom Terrific, and then there were Mighty Mouse, ("Here I come to save the day!"), and Heckle and Jeckle, the talking Magpies. 

Conversationalist

Captain Kangaroo - with Mr Green Jeans -  and Mighty Mouse for sure. Not so much Heckle and Jeckle but not the Talking Magpies; maybe not in my area. 

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

My early memory of the Hot Summer Days when my Dad would turn the TV to face the front screen door. Then we’d sit on the walk watching the TV. Dad would be drinking a “Carling Black Label beer.

watching the “ Adolph Monjue theatre. 

Does anybody remember Lights Out?  I don't remember any of the stories, just the opening in which a man's head says, "Lights out." and blows out a candle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fv6Gs--o6U

Does anyone remember The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcg_ehVrvYQ

I was 13 at the time and the girls on that show were the most beautiful of any show up to that time, so, of course, I remember.  I haven't seen any reruns on broadcast TV.  

You are getting sleepy.
Conversationalist

Dobie Gillis: Dwayne Hickman

Maynard G. Krebs: Bob Denver....WORK!!??

Trusted Contributor

I remember Captain Kangaroo, Romper Room, Kukla, Fran and Ollie, Sherry Lewis, and of course What's My Line, Maverick, Bonanza, Death Valley Days, Roy Rogers, Mickey Mouse Club, Ed Sullivan Show, Ozzie and Harriet, and my favorite The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show.  Those shows were so much fun, and some cable channels are now showing episodes of What's My Line, Perry Mason and some of the other classics.

We used to get together, as a family, all 8 of us and watch Ed Sullivan, Marlin Perkins Mutual of Omaha and The Wonder World of Walt Disney.

Regular Contributor

There are other shows I saw that aren't so well-remembered today. There was Frontier, a half-hour anthology program about people moving across the country in our early days. It was hosted by Walter Coy, who introduced the story, and at the end he always said, "It happened that way, movin' west." There was a half-hour show in 1953 titled Orient Express, another anthology drama about people in Europe. It only showed for the one season, but I can even remember one of the stories. A card reader tells a man who he was in his previous life. The man and his wife go all over Europe looking, and discover there really was such a person. At the end they find the man's mother--the card reader herself, who had only made it up because the man was born on the day her son died. I always liked the various drama anthologies, Fireside Theater, Schlitz Playhouse, etc. I'd give a lot to see some of them again.

Super Circus

You Asked for It

What's My Line?

Tales of Tomorrow

Lights Out

Science Fiction Theater

Mr. Wizard

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Halls of Ivy

Father Knows Best

Stu Erwin Show

Life with Elizabeth  

There were some local shows broadcast in Chicago that I watched:

Ding Dong School

Uncle Johnny Coons

Garfield Goose

The cartoons, Hardrock, Coco and Joe, and Suzy Snowflake bring tears to my eyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1WnyrHrZx4

You are getting sleepy.
Regular Contributor

For those who grew up in the Pacific NW, remember Stan Bornsen and slow-mo? And JP Patches who lived in the city dump? 

Contributor

Andy's Gang 

"Pluck yer magic twanger, Froggy!"

"Hiya kids! Hiya, hiya, hiya, hiya!!"

Conversationalist

The memories of good ole Andy Devine that Antiochcat just stirred up. Wild Bill Hickok! Wait for me!

Periodic Contributor

I well remember the time when the TV shows were wholesome entertainment! 

I live 1 hour from Kingman **bleep**..

Andy Devine Blvd.

Remember His Jeep??

Roy Rogers Trigger 

Yes those were the days!  Now the commercials are R rated! 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist

I remember 99% of all the previous shows, but also The Big Payoff that resulted in a mink being won, Hit Parade on Sat night, G E Theater, I Led Three Lives, Our Miss Brooks, Alcoa Presents One Step Beyond,  Art Llinkletter with Kids Say The Darndest Things and Perry Mason. ( I was a very precocious child.) There was also a Medical show called Medic.   I ended up in the hospital with my tonsils being taken out and the nurses had a fit when I wanted to watch Medic!  It was NOT a childs show but I loved it!     

@nkozubwrote:

I remember 99% of all the previous shows, but also The Big Payoff that resulted in a mink being won, Hit Parade on Sat night, G E Theater, I Led Three Lives, Our Miss Brooks, Alcoa Presents One Step Beyond,  Art Llinkletter with Kids Say The Darndest Things and Perry Mason. ( I was a very precocious child.) There was also a Medical show called Medic.   I ended up in the hospital with my tonsils being taken out and the nurses had a fit when I wanted to watch Medic!  It was NOT a childs show but I loved it!     

I almost forgot about Your Hit Parade because I am unusually disinterested in music.  But, at age 10, I watched the show every week and loved it.  For some unknown reason, the song, Green Door, sticks out in my mind from that show.   Stupid song, but, it pinpoints my age at the time.  That's how memory works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Your_Hit_Parade#Your_Hit_Parade_on_television_(1950-1959)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-jIqAlVUwE

You are getting sleepy.
Gold Conversationalist

(Replying to the Andy’s Gang post). Brought to you by: Hi, I’m Buster Brown. I live in a shoe. Arf. That’s my dog Tigh. He lives in there too!

Periodic Contributor

I remember when there was a

”Buster Brown “ shoe store on the Square in Lafayette IN. 

Trusted Contributor

howdy doody, sky king and superman were some of my favorites.

Periodic Contributor

Love the topic, so many wonderful memories come flooding back. Thank You!

How about these? There was a different western on every night early evenings after supper.

Cheyenne, Sugarfoot, Laramie (Robert Fuller), Rifleman, Laredo

Ty Hardin but can’t recall his character name.

Other western fav - Cisco Kid, Bonanza, Gene Autry, and the infamous ‘Happy Trails To Me’....Roy Rogers and Dale Evans with Buttermilk and old Nelly Bell lol

I’m sure I have to be missing some.

Also anything with animals, especially dogs!  Daktari (Oh how I loved that show and couldn’t wait until it came on; waiting all week) Lassie, Rin Tin Tin, 

Gold Conversationalist

Broderick Crawford in Highway Patrol! 

Gold Conversationalist

Broderick Crawford in Highway Patrol! 

Trusted Contributor

these were my favorites:

Bonanza

Lassie

Twilight Zone

Andy Griffith

Amos and Andy

Periodic Contributor

How about the Nelsons, Uncle Millie and the Untouchables? Anyone remember Big Chuck in Cleveland or Kookla, Fran and Ollie? How about Don Mc Neal’s Breakfast Club. 

Conversationalist

Ozzie and Harriet. Uncle Miltie was a little before my time. Soupy Sales anyone? And who can forget Captain Kangaroo or Shari Lewis and her puppets: Lambchop?

Gold Conversationalist

Do the Soupy Shuffle!
Contributor

"Hey! Do The Mouse now!

Heyyy! You can do it in your house now..."

Regular Contributor

Don McNeil's Breakfast Club was on the radio for years. That's where I remember it from. For the last couple of years it was telecast at the same time as the radiocast, and then it finally went away. From those early days I remember the organist, Korla Pandit, in the afternoon. Stan Chambers and a lady whose name I've forgotten did a show in L.A. called "Handy Hints," on KTLA Channel 5. Bill Stulla, the future Engineer Bill, had a daytime show called "Parlor Party" which included a segment of birthday kids. I was on it on my 5th birthday in 1951.

0 Kudos