There's always more to discover with an AARP membership! Check out your member benefits.

Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Early TV programs Do You Remember These?

Message 1 of 188

I have another memory of an event, but, there is no record of it on the Internet except for me asking this question.  This happened on a talk show, maybe, the Johnny Carson Tonight Show, but, I am uncertain.  Just before President Ronald Reagan was elected in 1980, actress Nancy Walker came on the show and said, "Ronald Reagen is a very dangerous man.  Do not vote for him."  Back then such behaviour was unprecedented and that is why it sticks out in my mind.  Does anyone else remember that?

Nancy Walker:

NancyWalker.jpg

Old Witch
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 188

I have what must be a false memory of an event on the TV show, You Asked for It, and I was wondering whether any of you can clear it up.  As I remember it, they told a story about people, who, as a hobby, would take filings from a junk car or bus, put the filings into their food, and, over the course of about 10 years, eat the entire motor vehicle.  If you go through the calculations, they would have to eat several pounds of filings per day.  The lead in the batteries, alone, would kill them.   Does anyone have a more accurate memory?

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 188

@nkozubwrote:

I remember 99% of all the previous shows, but also The Big Payoff that resulted in a mink being won, Hit Parade on Sat night, G E Theater, I Led Three Lives, Our Miss Brooks, Alcoa Presents One Step Beyond,  Art Llinkletter with Kids Say The Darndest Things and Perry Mason. ( I was a very precocious child.) There was also a Medical show called Medic.   I ended up in the hospital with my tonsils being taken out and the nurses had a fit when I wanted to watch Medic!  It was NOT a childs show but I loved it!     

I almost forgot about Your Hit Parade because I am unusually disinterested in music.  But, at age 10, I watched the show every week and loved it.  For some unknown reason, the song, Green Door, sticks out in my mind from that show.   Stupid song, but, it pinpoints my age at the time.  That's how memory works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Your_Hit_Parade#Your_Hit_Parade_on_television_(1950-1959)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-jIqAlVUwE

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 188

Captain Kangaroo - with Mr Green Jeans -  and Mighty Mouse for sure. Not so much Heckle and Jeckle but not the Talking Magpies; maybe not in my area. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 188

When I was a kid the Saturday morning started with Captain Kangaroo, who showed Tom Terrific, and then there were Mighty Mouse, ("Here I come to save the day!"), and Heckle and Jeckle, the talking Magpies. 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 188

Somebody posted earlier about the cartoons that used to be on Saturday morning: I remember Yogi Bear, Top Cat, Buggs Bunny and the Road Runner Show etc.  Even though there was plenty of violence in some of the cartoons (Tom and Jerry in particular) kids did not go out and try to blow each other up as a result.  How did we ever grow up in a time when we knew the difference between the "pretend" violence and "real" violence.  

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 188

My early memory of the Hot Summer Days when my Dad would turn the TV to face the front screen door. Then we’d sit on the walk watching the TV. Dad would be drinking a “Carling Black Label beer.

watching the “ Adolph Monjue theatre. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 188

The Van Dyke lounge was near Danville , in the 70’s we lived there!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 188

We have a local channel that still broadcasts many of the “OLD SHOWS “  Lake Havasu City!

Battlestar Galactica many of the Old and Not so goodies 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 188

I remember when there was a

”Buster Brown “ shoe store on the Square in Lafayette IN. 

Kudos
Views