Honored Social Butterfly

Early TV programs Do You Remember These?

Ted Mack and the Original Amateur Hour. 1948 to 1980

A direct descendant of radio's "Major Bowes Original Amateur Hour" (1934-1946), hosted by Major Edward Bowes until his death. After a one-year hiatus, Ted Mack, who had directed Bowes' auditions, revived the show (which lasted into 1952) and brought the concept to the DuMont Television Network. The at-home audience voted by postcard for the favorite, winning performer(s) each week.

i love the voting by post cards 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Regular Contributor

I can still recall our first tv being set up in the mid to late '50s and the first show to pop up was Flash Gordon. It was one of several tv shows that was serialized so we had to go back week to week to see what was going to happen. This was a take-off on movie theaters that used to have a 10-15 minute serialized show before the main feature. Variety shows were also big in the 50s and early 60s. We used to watch as a family (parents and five kids) Milton Berle, Red Skeleton, Gary Moore, Ed Sullivan, and others. Lots of laughs and clean fun in those days. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

There were many variety shows on in early 1950's

Ted Mack's amateur hour

Your shows of shows

George Gobel

Red Skelton

Milton Berle

Then came the cowboy shows, quiz shows then crime drama

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Speaking of Red Skelton, who had an hour variety show on Tuuesday evenings @ 9:00 PM in Los Angeles on CBS channel 2.  His show appeared in the early to mid 1960's, and had various guest stars.  One thing about him, he was the penultimate funny man.  I believe he got his start on radio in the 1940's and transitioned to television in the 1950's.  He also was a pantomime artist. His cjharacters, Gertrude & Heathclifffe' , the two seagulls always were funny.  But does anyone remember the 'Dean Martin Variety Show' ? It started with Dean standing on an uupper floor next to a 'tall brass pole like the kind in a firehouse, and he'sd start singing the song he's most noted for: 'Everybody Loves Somkebody Sometime', he had a cigarette in one hand, he'd then grab the pole and decend down.  He'd stagger away from the pole and usually looked half plastered.  Then usually a pretty girl appeared with a 'cocktail' and then he's croon a tune and finish by telling a joke or two, something like  "A German car, an Italian car and a Japanese car got together last weekand captured my garage".  He often had a drink in his hand and was often assisted by a bunch of pretty girls.  Bet nobody recalls their collective names, too late... 'the golddiggers'.  They were in skimpy outfits and assisted in some of the skits.  He had guest stars and I believe his show ran from 1967 - 1976 and morphed into the 'Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts'. One of his guest stars, the late Foster Brooks played a drunken commercial airline pilot and was hilarious, two drunks sitting in a piano bar getting more plastered!. I understand these are available on DVD as I've seen late nite infomercials for this series.  Too bad these shows aren't re run on broadcast television as a diversion to a lot of the mindless drivvel they call television today!

Contributor

How about "I Remember Mama" - Ingomar, Nels, etc. Johansen?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

And..anyone remember a young Mickey Dolenz in Circus Boy?

Periodic Contributor

I remember! Anyone not recognizing the name Mickey Dolenz (The Monkees) 🙂
Can’t recall who the male lead actor was that seemed to always take him underwing. Can see his face but not the name :((
0 Kudos
Conversationalist

In the late 1950's, Monkee's Mickey Dolenz went by Mickey Braddock in a short lived series called "Circus Boy". It was broadcast about the same time as Disney's "Zorro".

Honored Social Butterfly

Anyone remember  Sky King and his daughter Penny?

This was a radio program that transitioned to TV...  wow I go way back  LOL

Conversationalist

Sure Schuyler King, Penny, Clipper (nephew), The Songbird and Flying Crown Ranch. 

Periodic Contributor

I loved that shoe. How about the very early Mickey Mouse Club. All the little boys were crazy about Annette. 

As as a young man I loved Don McNeal’s Breakfast Club. 

Anyone from the Midwest remember Ruth Lions 50/50 Club. It aired each weekday at noon.  It originated out of Cincinnati on WLW-TV  It was on in Columbus, Dayton, Cincinnati and Indianapolis. The entertainment was marginal but the show was very popular. 

Periodic Contributor

I remember Ruth Lyons but even more Bob Braun when he took over. Later a couple of singers that came on frequently, Dave McCoy and someone named Randy with a guitar.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Bob Braun’s talent was questionable. He left the 50/50 Club and made his way to the West Coast in order to become aHollywod star. I think he had a few bit parts, none memorable.  He returned to Cincinnati and became a DJ. 

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Mickey Mouse Club with Jimmy and Roy. My mom even bought me a MMC shirt just like the ones on the show - with my name on the front! Too young to know how goofy that was. But I did watch the show.

Honored Social Butterfly

rh97821964 wrote:

Mickey Mouse Club with Jimmy and Roy. My mom even bought me a MMC shirt just like the ones on the show - with my name on the front! Too young to know how goofy that was. But I did watch the show.

Boy you were lucky. I loved the Micky Mouse Club but no shirt....

Periodic Contributor

Yes, I sure do! One of my many favorites. Back when tv programs always had an underlying message about life and teaching. 🙂
Contributor

Yes remember it well. "Uncle Joey" also appeared later in other TV shows over the years.  

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Before he was Engineer Bill, Bill Stulla had a local daytime show in Los Angeles, "Parlor Party." One featured segment each day was birthday kids, on a storybook set with a castle front through which each kid would emerge to be interviewed by Bill. I was on this show on my 5th birthday!

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Oh my God! I haven't thought or Engineer Bill in so many years.  He had a show in the late afternioon around 5:00PM, channel 9 in Los Angeles.  He'd dress as a train engineer, had an HO train layout in front of him, and had kids as guests and played cartoons, this was a 30 minute show. I was building an HO train layout at the time and a neighbor of mine appeared on the show and brought me a Lakawanna Lines Boxcar, that I still have after all these years! I think the sponsor was Ovaltine!  Do they still make Ovaltine?  I recall it was some kind of chocolate flavored and fortified drink mix you mixed with milk. This show along with Skipper Frank, and The Tom Hatton Show, which featured Popeye cartoons brings back many old memories.  But I've got one even more more obscure:  Does anyone remember Sheriff John's Lunch Brigade?  It aired at noon in Los Angeles in the mid to late 1950's on KTTV channel 5.  The show began with the pledge of allegiance and also featured Crusader Rabbit cartoons, and was a half hour show. John Rovick who played Sheriff John, was dressed as an old west sheriff, had cartoons and silly kids stuff.  I recall watching this when I was home from school for summer vacation. Also in the late 1950's to very early 1960's in the late afternoons were Bozo the Clown, cartoons and kid stuff, and  Hobo Kelly, with Sally Baker dressed as a sad looking clown on KCOP channel 13 in Los Angeles.  But i've saved the best for last.  Anyone remember 'Chucko the Birthday Clown', played by Charles 'Chuck' Runyon  This was an early morning, around 7:30 - 8:00 AM show that was a cartoon show who's principle audience was kids 4-6 years old.  Old memories brought back to life by this post!

Regular Contributor

I think the chocolate was Bosco.
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Does anyyone remember Billy Barty and the 'Three Stooges"?.  This was a late afternoon, half hour show around 5:00 PM, airing on KTTV channel 11 in Los Angeles.  It featured Billy Barty dressed up as a circus ringmaster and they had a guest 'empresario of the day' kid from the audience.  The show featured 'Three Stooges' short films from the late 1930's to early 1950's when Jerome Howard, AKA 'Curly passed. The Three Stooges started as Ted Healy and his stooges in vaudeville in the late 1920's and transitioned into radio.  In the 1930's, to the late 1940's Columbia Studios did many 'shorts' starring the 'Stooges' and co starred Christine Mc Intyre, Vernon Dent and Connie Cezanne.  Many folks don't know that Moe and Curly along with 'Shemp' were the Howard brothers. Larry's last name was Fine.  The Three Stooges were masters of slapstick comedy although many thought their antics were too voilent. Their short films still live and are as funny albeit corny as they were when they were realeased all those many years ago!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Do you remember Abbot & Costello? The famous line I always remember is "who's on first, what's on second (I don't recall the rest).  that was a famous skit.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

the final one is "I don't know who's on third"

Trusted Contributor

Here's another really obscure one from the 1960's, acrually there're 2 shows:  Does anyone remember 'The Pruitts of Southhampton ' with the late Phyllis Diller and Terginald Gardner?  this show aired on ABC channel 7 in Los Angeles in 1967-1968.  it was about a misfirtfamily in Southhampton CT and since it starred Phyllis Filler, it was a scream.  She also had a variety show called, appropriately 'The All New Beautiful Phyllis Diller Show".  This was a variety show like a lot of the variety shows with guest stars.  Too bad they took these funny shows off the air but they probably had low ratings so , hasta la vista!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I love Bosco....Bosco's good for me!

Recognized Social Butterfly

@maletich wrote I love Bosco....Bosco's good for me!

Bosco gives me iron and sunshine vitamin D.

Mama puts it in my milk for extra energy.

Oh, I love Bosco; Bosco is for me! Cat LOL

Periodic Contributor

I didn't remember the iron & vit D part....but the rest....yes!

Thanks for that!

Anna

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

In my area, there were a number of local shows for children. Among them were "Big Brother" with Bob Emery, "Boomtown" with Rex Trailer, "Major Mudd," "Captain Bob," "Salty Brine's Shack (out of Rhode Island). There was also the local "Bozo the Clown" played by Frank Avruch.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Saturday morning after programming began with the National Anthem and flag waving.

5am Modern Farmer

6am Crusader Rabbit

Sunday morning

6am Davey and Goliath (claymation)

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

They would sign off with the National Anthem too.  I always wondered if I had to stand up for it in my own home at midnight when everyone else had gone to bed.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

This really takes me back, i feel verklempt!   Around 1:30 - 200 AM when most of the television starions went off the air for the day, the National Anthem played and then immediately, the test pattern or a bunch of static.  This was before television became a 24 - 7 thing in the early 1970's

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Online Community Refresh

Online Community has updated the site design in our discussions area to make it easier to connect, follow a conversation and access resources.

The new look and feel will be rolled out in multiple phases starting with these initial improvements in the conversations and replies levels.

Learn more about the new design today.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png