Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Early TV programs Do You Remember These?

Message 71 of 188
"Out of the blue of the western sky comes...Sky King!"
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 72 of 188

Ah Queen For A Day.  i remember this show airing in the afternoons on Channel 7 in Los Angeles. It was hosted by Jack Bailey.  The premise:  at the start of the show, the camera would pan the audience consisted mostly of women.  Then the announcer would say "who wants to be queen for a day"?  Then it would zoom in on some lucky lady, but she'd not be chosen immediately to build up the suspense and after listening to her sob story then she'd be crowned, given a sceptre and a fur shawl.  Previously each women would give their 'sob story' as to why they should be chosen.  Then her story would be told, the audience would vote by applause, this before the lucky lady with the saddest 'sob story' was told. The prizes were usually something like a washing machine, dryer, vacuum or something like this.  This show aired from  1958-1960 on Channel 7 then aired on Channel 2.from 1961-1964. This show pales in comparison to such big prize shows like 'The Price is Right.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 188

I was a contestant in the Ted Mack show back in spring of 1970.  Sang “Mame” at the producer’s request.  Didn’t win.  But it was quite an experience.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 74 of 188

Here are a few of my favorites:

What's My Line?

Candid Camera

Kids Say the Darnedest Things

The Ed Sullivan Show

Hullaboo

American Bandstand

All in the Family

~Sharon~
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 188

Wonderful old shows. Love Amos and Andy. Always wanted to be a member of

the Peanut Gallery on the Doody show. They would give away a huge Toosie Roll filled with their candy.  I Love Lucy was a great favorite as was the Lone Ranger. Many of the shows can be seen on streaming video over the internet. 

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 188

@hesshaus wrote:

There was a radio program, Queen For A Day, that was popular on radio.  This made a transition to the early days of TV.  They had the same host, Jack Bailey.  Don't know how long it lasted on television , but  I remember watching it.  

Oh, Lordy, Queen for a Day. We watched it on TV. As kids we thought it was wonderful and how lucky these ladies were to get all thes prizes, but our mothers just shook their heads at how these womens' "poor me" stories were being aired all over the country...so embarrassing! Compare that now to all the reality shows that bare everything and social media that is just so intrusive, and Queen for a Day seems like nothing. Cat LOL

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 77 of 188

Loved that show 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 78 of 188

There was a radio program, Queen For A Day, that was popular on radio.  This made a transition to the early days of TV.  They had the same host, Jack Bailey.  Don't know how long it lasted on television , but  I remember watching it.  

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 79 of 188
I thought it was $100 also.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 80 of 188

@w972822m wrote:
Ah the duck! that was the 'Best of Groucho' with Groucho Marx and his sidekick/announcer George Fenneman. Fenneman would announce the contestants and say 'come on out and meet Groucho Marx. The contestants came out and Groucho wotld say 'say the secret word and the duck will come down and pay you $50.00 dollars, it's acommon thing you see every day". The secret word could be anything and if the contestants said the word and it could be something really obscure, the stuffed duck came down and the music started. A bit of real obscure tv trivia from the late 1950's

@w972822m  Wow. My early years are a trivia question LOL 😂 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors