Honored Social Butterfly

Early TV programs Do You Remember These?

Ted Mack and the Original Amateur Hour. 1948 to 1980

A direct descendant of radio's "Major Bowes Original Amateur Hour" (1934-1946), hosted by Major Edward Bowes until his death. After a one-year hiatus, Ted Mack, who had directed Bowes' auditions, revived the show (which lasted into 1952) and brought the concept to the DuMont Television Network. The at-home audience voted by postcard for the favorite, winning performer(s) each week.

i love the voting by post cards 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Conversationalist

How about "The Dick Van Dyke Show"? His brother, Jerry, just passed away a few days ago. RIP.

Periodic Contributor

The Van Dyke lounge was near Danville , in the 70’s we lived there!

Contributor

Bobby Benson and the "B bar B ranch"

Buster Brown

Superman

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I remember having to alternate "Zorro" (my show) with Groucho Marx's "You Bet Your Life" (my Dad's show) because they were on at the same time. He was kind to me that way; not insisting on watching his show every week.

Honored Social Butterfly

@wmolson wrote:

I remember having to alternate "Zorro" (my show) with Groucho Marx's "You Bet Your Life" (my Dad's show) because they were on at the same time. He was kind to me that way; not insisting on watching his show every week.

@wmolson  Do you remember "the duck" with the secret word?  I think it was a duck 😀

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Ah the duck! that was the 'Best of Groucho' with Groucho Marx and his sidekick/announcer George Fenneman. Fenneman would announce the contestants and say 'come on out and meet Groucho Marx. The contestants came out and Groucho wotld say 'say the secret word and the duck will come down and pay you $50.00 dollars, it's acommon thing you see every day". The secret word could be anything and if the contestants said the word and it could be something really obscure, the stuffed duck came down and the music started. A bit of real obscure tv trivia from the late 1950's
Honored Social Butterfly

@w972822m wrote:
Ah the duck! that was the 'Best of Groucho' with Groucho Marx and his sidekick/announcer George Fenneman. Fenneman would announce the contestants and say 'come on out and meet Groucho Marx. The contestants came out and Groucho wotld say 'say the secret word and the duck will come down and pay you $50.00 dollars, it's acommon thing you see every day". The secret word could be anything and if the contestants said the word and it could be something really obscure, the stuffed duck came down and the music started. A bit of real obscure tv trivia from the late 1950's

@w972822m  Wow. My early years are a trivia question LOL 😂 

Periodic Contributor

Ahhh, the duck! "Say the secret word and win $100(?)" Not sure on the amount; that was about 60 years ago.

Honored Social Butterfly

@wmolson wrote:

Ahhh, the duck! "Say the secret word and win $100(?)" Not sure on the amount; that was about 60 years ago.

@wmolson  Wow has it been that long? LOL. 😂

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Ah, 'The Best of Groucho' and the stuffed duck.  Who'd have thiought about the 'duck'  Awhile ago this stuffed duck appreared on an episode ofAntiques Road Show.  It seems a guy in Los Angeles purchased one of the ducks for not much money from an antique or thrift store in Hollywood many years ago and didn't think much about it.  Then whan Antiques Roadshow came to Los Angeles he thought he'd bring it in to get an idea of what it might be worth.  When the appraiser gave him its approximate 'auction' value, he was floored as to how valyuable it was, wow!

Periodic Contributor

I thought it was $100 also.
Trusted Social Butterfly

I vaguely remember watching 'What's My Line' '50-'57,John Daly was the host.

The regular panelists were:

Arlene Francis

Bennett Cerf

Dorothy Kilgallen

Steve Allen

I do remember watching'Howdy Doody Show' '47-'60. When I was watching in the late 50's,didn't know "Buffalo Bob Smith' was from my hometown,Buffalo,NY,he created "HD'. One of the actors who played 'Clarabell the Clown" was Bob Keeshian who went on to fame as 'Capt Kangeroo'.

I do remember watching'To Tell The Truth''56-'68,Bud Collyer hosted,Garry Moore took over '69-'77.The regular panelists were:

Peggy Cass

Kitty Carlisle

Tom Poston

I've watched the updated version of this show with Anthony Anderson as host,sometimes its good depending on who the panelists are. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Super Contributor

I was thinking the other day about a tv show I enjoyed as a child.  It was called Beat the Clock, and audience members were chosen to attempt to do things in a different way, such as being seated instead of being able to walk - or using their feet instead of their hands.  After watching the show, I used a rubber band to fasten a pencil between my toes and attempted to write that way.  More recently I have used a cane to move a hanger with a sweater on it from one place to another and had to laugh out loud while doing that.

As a child I also enjoyed  watching What's My Line? and To Tell the Truth.  

There was another show that came on after school and featured cowboy shows but also had a segment showing cattle brands and how they were designed.  I enjoyed the creativity of the designs but didn't like to think of the cattle being hurt.  I would have preferred that the brands be drawn on with a magic marker, which we didn't have yet at that time as I recall.  I think the name of that tv show was Western Roundup

I also liked Howdy Doody and especially liked Princess Summerfallwinterspring on that show.

Honored Social Butterfly

@IrishScribe3471 wrote:

I was thinking the other day about a tv show I enjoyed as a child.  It was called Beat the Clock, and audience members were chosen to attempt to do things in a different way, such as being seated instead of being able to walk - or using their feet instead of their hands.  After watching the show, I used a rubber band to fasten a pencil between my toes and attempted to write that way.  More recently I have used a cane to move a hanger with a sweater on it from one place to another and had to laugh out loud while doing that.

As a child I also enjoyed  watching What's My Line? and To Tell the Truth.  

There was another show that came on after school and featured cowboy shows but also had a segment showing cattle brands and how they were designed.  I enjoyed the creativity of the designs but didn't like to think of the cattle being hurt.  I would have preferred that the brands be drawn on with a magic marker, which we didn't have yet at that time as I recall.  I think the name of that tv show was Western Roundup

I also liked Howdy Doody and especially liked Princess Summerfallwinterspring on that show.

I liked What's My Line as Well and

omg Howdy Doody!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I Love Lucy

https://youtu.be/8NPzLBSBzPI

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

I think of "early TV" as late 40s-early 50s.  My memories of TV in this time are precious, because I got to see so little of it.  Hartford,  CT had no station then.  I only saw TV when visiting grandmothers in New York or Pittsburgh.  I cherish shows like "the Honeymooners' (which actually started as a "bit" on the Jackie Gleason show) and Kukla Fran & Ollie (both released now on DVD).  But I long to see again another "puppet show" Johnny Jupiter, but have never been able to secure any video release of same).  Puppet shows like cartoons are mostly dependant on the quality of their writing and I never liked "kidstuff" that talked down to me, like Hanna-Barbera cartoons.  In the 50s, NY stations showed the old theatrical cartoons- Warner Bros. (talking pre-1950), Paramount, etc. as well as the Fleischer classics.  These were made for adult appeal and reflected sometimes very specific historical events like the depression and WWII. 

Honored Social Butterfly

rb591746 wrote:

I think of "early TV" as late 40s-early 50s.  My memories of TV in this time are precious, because I got to see so little of it.  Hartford,  CT had no station then.  I only saw TV when visiting grandmothers in New York or Pittsburgh.  I cherish shows like "the Honeymooners' (which actually started as a "bit" on the Jackie Gleason show) and Kukla Fran & Ollie (both released now on DVD).  But I long to see again another "puppet show" Johnny Jupiter, but have never been able to secure any video release of same).  Puppet shows like cartoons are mostly dependant on the quality of their writing and I never liked "kidstuff" that talked down to me, like Hanna-Barbera cartoons.  In the 50s, NY stations showed the old theatrical cartoons- Warner Bros. (talking pre-1950), Paramount, etc. as well as the Fleischer classics.  These were made for adult appeal and reflected sometimes very specific historical events like the depression and WWII. 

Hi @rb591746

check youtube for Johnny Jupiter.  It appears that there are some videos of that show 

https://youtu.be/ijZ9X53_uCM

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Carol Burnet , Ed Sulivan and Sammy Terry.

Honored Social Butterfly

dm98065675 wrote:

Carol Burnet , Ed Sulivan and Sammy Terrry

@dm98065675

Loved Carol Burnet and Ed Sullivan. Don't know Sammy Terry

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Father Knows Best, Leave It to Beaver, and Marcus Welby, MD.

Primetime favorites included, The Ed Sullivan Show, The Jackie Gleason Show (not to be confused with the "Honeymooners" which was also a staple!), The Jetsons --seems so lame now! :-0), Bonaza, Dr. Kildaire, Ben Casey, oh the list goes on & on! I need parameters! LOL

Contributor

Robert Stack's The Untouchables & Vic Morraw's Combat.

Contributor

If you like Combat, how about the Rat Patrol?

And The Defenders!

Does anyone remember Wonderama with Sonny Fox on Saturday morning? And of course there was Romper Room after "school". This was the 1st program that taught me how to handle change when the "star" was changed. Trivia question: what were the names of the teachers?

Gold Conversationalist

If you lived around a Deetroit, you had your lunch watching Soupy Sales with his buddies White Fang, Black Tooth, and Willie the Worm (sickest worm in Deetroit, Ah Choo).  You would see Soupy doing the Soupy Shuffle!  

Honored Social Butterfly

@2Papa wrote:

If you lived around a Deetroit, you had your lunch watching Soupy Sales with his buddies White Fang, Black Tooth, and Willie the Worm (sickest worm in Deetroit, Ah Choo).  You would see Soupy doing the Soupy Shuffle!  

Soupy Sales. I havnt heard that name in years!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I loved the Flying Nun as a 12 year old in a Catholic grade school. Fantasies about nuns abounded anyway like what was under the habit that this program fed into.

Periodic Contributor

Early TV, wow.! That's late fifties early sixties. Some of the shows I watched, especially on Saturday were Sky King, Fury, My Friend Flicka, Wonderama, Mighty Mouse, The Lone Ranger, Pro Bowlers Tour, and Wide World of Sports. As a matter of fact, I have a set of cassette tapes, if you remember what does were, of every single TV show beginning and ending music, probably up to the late sixties.

Social Butterfly

Didn't watch a lot of TV, but did see a few episodes of a lot of shows. I remember Lassie (always liked dogs). Flipper. A game show called Camoflage where you looked at a picture of random lines and tried to guess the picture of what was hidden in it. Leave It To Beaver. Dennis The Menace. Roy Rogers. Kung **bleep**.