Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Early TV programs Do You Remember These?

Message 81 of 188

@wmolson wrote:

Ahhh, the duck! "Say the secret word and win $100(?)" Not sure on the amount; that was about 60 years ago.

@wmolson  Wow has it been that long? LOL. 😂

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 82 of 188
Ah the duck! that was the 'Best of Groucho' with Groucho Marx and his sidekick/announcer George Fenneman. Fenneman would announce the contestants and say 'come on out and meet Groucho Marx. The contestants came out and Groucho wotld say 'say the secret word and the duck will come down and pay you $50.00 dollars, it's acommon thing you see every day". The secret word could be anything and if the contestants said the word and it could be something really obscure, the stuffed duck came down and the music started. A bit of real obscure tv trivia from the late 1950's
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 83 of 188

Ahhh, the duck! "Say the secret word and win $100(?)" Not sure on the amount; that was about 60 years ago.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 84 of 188

@wmolson wrote:

I remember having to alternate "Zorro" (my show) with Groucho Marx's "You Bet Your Life" (my Dad's show) because they were on at the same time. He was kind to me that way; not insisting on watching his show every week.

@wmolson  Do you remember "the duck" with the secret word?  I think it was a duck 😀

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 85 of 188

I remember having to alternate "Zorro" (my show) with Groucho Marx's "You Bet Your Life" (my Dad's show) because they were on at the same time. He was kind to me that way; not insisting on watching his show every week.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 86 of 188

@mr5822 wrote:

Loved the poetry quoting mercenary, Paladin. But my favorite westerns were the neglected Sam Peckinpah "Westerner"  with Brian Keith and the melancholy "Outlaws"..

We saw Paladin for the first time a few weeks back while staying in Utah. We were pretty amused to see such an old show playing back to back. And yes: remarkably uncomplicated programming and acting. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 87 of 188

I vaguely remember watching 'What's My Line' '50-'57,John Daly was the host.

The regular panelists were:

Arlene Francis

Bennett Cerf

Dorothy Kilgallen

Steve Allen

I do remember watching'Howdy Doody Show' '47-'60. When I was watching in the late 50's,didn't know "Buffalo Bob Smith' was from my hometown,Buffalo,NY,he created "HD'. One of the actors who played 'Clarabell the Clown" was Bob Keeshian who went on to fame as 'Capt Kangeroo'.

I do remember watching'To Tell The Truth''56-'68,Bud Collyer hosted,Garry Moore took over '69-'77.The regular panelists were:

Peggy Cass

Kitty Carlisle

Tom Poston

I've watched the updated version of this show with Anthony Anderson as host,sometimes its good depending on who the panelists are. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 88 of 188

@IrishScribe3471 wrote:

I was thinking the other day about a tv show I enjoyed as a child.  It was called Beat the Clock, and audience members were chosen to attempt to do things in a different way, such as being seated instead of being able to walk - or using their feet instead of their hands.  After watching the show, I used a rubber band to fasten a pencil between my toes and attempted to write that way.  More recently I have used a cane to move a hanger with a sweater on it from one place to another and had to laugh out loud while doing that.

As a child I also enjoyed  watching What's My Line? and To Tell the Truth.  

There was another show that came on after school and featured cowboy shows but also had a segment showing cattle brands and how they were designed.  I enjoyed the creativity of the designs but didn't like to think of the cattle being hurt.  I would have preferred that the brands be drawn on with a magic marker, which we didn't have yet at that time as I recall.  I think the name of that tv show was Western Roundup

I also liked Howdy Doody and especially liked Princess Summerfallwinterspring on that show.

I liked What's My Line as Well and

omg Howdy Doody!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 89 of 188

I Love Lucy

https://youtu.be/8NPzLBSBzPI

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 90 of 188

I was thinking the other day about a tv show I enjoyed as a child.  It was called Beat the Clock, and audience members were chosen to attempt to do things in a different way, such as being seated instead of being able to walk - or using their feet instead of their hands.  After watching the show, I used a rubber band to fasten a pencil between my toes and attempted to write that way.  More recently I have used a cane to move a hanger with a sweater on it from one place to another and had to laugh out loud while doing that.

As a child I also enjoyed  watching What's My Line? and To Tell the Truth.  

There was another show that came on after school and featured cowboy shows but also had a segment showing cattle brands and how they were designed.  I enjoyed the creativity of the designs but didn't like to think of the cattle being hurt.  I would have preferred that the brands be drawn on with a magic marker, which we didn't have yet at that time as I recall.  I think the name of that tv show was Western Roundup

I also liked Howdy Doody and especially liked Princess Summerfallwinterspring on that show.

Kudos
Views