Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Early TV programs Do You Remember These?

Message 121 of 188

've got another very obscure other short run show from the mid 1950's that was kind of an audience game show where they selected an unsuspecting female out of the audience, and no  it wasn't 'The Price is Right', anybody want to make a guess, too late...it was 'Queen for a Day" sponsored by Playtex and starred Jack Bailey.  It ran on CBS channel 2 in Los Angeles from 1956-1960 and on ABC channel 7 from 1960-1964.  The premise was each woman in the audience was given a questionaire and asked by Jack Bailey why they should be chosen 'Queen for a Day". It seems the best 'sob' story got the prize.  The women were nterviewed in front of the audience and asked for simple things, such as a hearing aid for their deaf child or a new refrigerator.  it was usually something that would make any housewife at the time happy, a washwer-dryer combo, a refrigerator, vacuum cleaner etc  An applause meter determined the winner.  Upon winning, the chosen 'Queen for a Day' was draped with a fur wrap and a tiara. Commercials featuring womans fashons were some of the sponsors.  The show morphed from 30 - 45 minutes as it became more popular.  Really obscure show rhat didn't have any similar spinoffs!

Silver Conversationalist
w972822m

Re: Early TV programs Do You Re
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 122 of 188

I see someone else beat me to the correction for "The Millionaire." Michael Anthony's unseen (but heard) employer was John Beresford Tipton. In my favorite remembered episode the check was deposited in a little girl's bank account. The parents thought it was a mistake but they found out by the end that it was real. Like most TV shows in those early days it was just a half-hour drama.

We had the first TV on our block when I was a kid. I can remember shows beginning from 1950, so many I've wanted to see again. There was a 1953 syndicated half-hour drama anthology, "Orient Express." There was "Stories of the Century," starring Jim Davis as a railroad detective who dealt with famous bandits of the old west. There was "I Married Joan," a marital sitcom with Joan Davis and Jim Backus, 1952-55. So many!

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 123 of 188

I've got anvery obscure other short run show from the mid 1950's that was kind of an audience game show where they selected an unsuspecting someone out of the audience, no it wasn't 'The Price is Right', anybody want to make a guess, too late...it was 'Queen for a Day" sponsored by Playtex and starred Jack Bailey.  It ran on CBS channel 2 in Los Angeles from 1956-1960 and on ABC channel 7 from 1960-1964.  The premise was each woman in the audience was given a questionairre and asked why they should be chosen 'Queen for a Day"  It seems the best 'sob' story got the prize.  The women interviewed asked for simple things, such as a hearing aid for their deaf child or a new refrigerator.  it was usually something that would make any housewife at the time happy, a washwer-dryer combo, a refrigerator etc  An applause meter determined the winner.  Upon winning, the chosen 'Wueen for a Day' was draped with a fur wrap and a tiara. Commercials featuring womans fashons were some of the sponsors.  The show morphed from 30 - 45 minutes as it became more popular.  Really obscure show rhat didn't have any similar spinoffs!

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 124 of 188

Here's a real obscure one:  Does anyone recall 'Love that Bob' with Bob Cummings, Rosemary de Camp, Ann B Davis, (Aice on the Brady Bunch) and Nancy Kulp, (Ms. Hathaway on the Beverly Hillbillies).  Is aired from 1955 - 1959 in the evenings and later as a daytime show, the 'Bob Cummings Show', Bob Collins, was a photographer, Air Force officer and ladies man in Hollywood. He lived with his sister, Margaret Mc Donald played by Rosemary de Camp.  To round out this cast of zanys, Anne B Davis played his assistant Schultzy. Nancy Kulp played Bobs eccentric neighbor Pamela Livingstone. Dwayne Hickman,(The many loves of Dobie Gillis) played his nephew Chuck This show was produced , directed and created by Paul Henning, who did the Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction and Green Acres.  

And an even one more obscure: Anybody remember 'The Peoples Choice' with Jackie Cooper, who played a politician aspiring lawyer, Socrates AKA Soc Miller.   He was always accompanied by his loyal basset hound, sad looking, wise cracking 'Cleo', whose voice was by Mary Jane Croft, a sidekick of Lucille Ball. Margaret Irving was his aunt Gus (she was in the 1936 MGM classic 'San Francisco' as Della, a Barbary Coast Madame)  This is an oldie ran from 1955-1958 on NBC channel 4 in Los Angeles.  

Now for the most obscure sitcom that hasn't been shown in over 60 years due to objectiions of the NAACP: 'Amos and Andy' with Freeman Godsen as Amos Jones and Charles Correll as Andrew Hogg  AKA 'the Kingfish' Brown.  Amos and Andy started as a popular radio program in 1928 and through the 1940's portrayed a black family living in Harlem New York. It successfully transitioned to television in 1951.  Amos and Andy ran a taxicab company and were somehow always getting into mischief or falling short a few dollars! The television show as short lived from 1951 -1953.  This show was made at Hall Roach Studuios in Culver City California where my mother Marie worked for Hal Roach Jr. from 1936 - 1962. She was the last employee of the studio.  In 1961, Roach Studios, declared bankruptcy and as my mother was his head accountant - bookkeeper and well  versed in taxes, helped him settle the aspects of the bankruptcy.  The buildings are long gone.  The studio was on Washington Blvd at Robertson Avenue in downtown Culver City.  In fact, Roach Studios was one of the first businesses in Culver City, having opened in 1919, two years after its incorporation as an independent city within Los Angeles. There's a brass plaque near the sidewalk where the studio once stood, it reads" Site of Hal Roach Studios, Laugh Factory to the World" 1919 - 1962!  Such great memories and reminiscing of some of these long gone but not forgotten television gems!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 125 of 188

@catwoman500 Hi Nancy,my mistake,you are correct. Tipton was the millionaire's last name. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 126 of 188

@doglover52, Hey Sue...why do I remember the name of The Millionaire as John Beresford Tipton? I LOVED that show! Cat Happy N.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 127 of 188

@dolphin27 Hi,according to my TV show ref.book,the show "The Millionaire"  ran on CBS from '55-'60. Marvin Miller "Michael Anthony' was only cast member. He was the personal secretary of multi millionaire,JOhn Beresford,who's face was never seen on the show. Anthony's job was to give a unsuspecting person a cashier's ck for a million dollars,tax free,see how their lives changed. The one rule was,you couldn't try&find Mr. Beresford,or how you got the money.The only person you could tell was your spouse.If you told somebody else,you would have to forfeit the money.

I vaguely remember watching this show towards the end when I was 8. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 128 of 188

Anyone remember "the millionaire", every week some got a million dollars

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 129 of 188

Just a few from late 40's to 60's:  Sergeant Preston of the Yukon; Annie Oakley;  I Love Lucy; Lassie; Rin Tin Tin; The Soupy Sales Show; Kukla, Fran and Ollie; The Early Riser (with Stu Kerr, WMAR Baltimore/PA area show); Amos n' Andy; The Honeymooners; Life of Riley; The Lone Ranger (I met Clayton Moore when he was in York, PA in the 50's.); Thriller, Panic; The Twilight Zone; Death Valley Days; Leave it to Beaver; Andy Griffith; original Mickey Mouse Club; Milton Berle show; The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show  

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 130 of 188

Here's another really obscure one from the 1960's, acrually there're 2 shows:  Does anyone remember 'The Pruitts of Southhampton ' with the late Phyllis Diller and Terginald Gardner?  this show aired on ABC channel 7 in Los Angeles in 1967-1968.  it was about a misfirtfamily in Southhampton CT and since it starred Phyllis Filler, it was a scream.  She also had a variety show called, appropriately 'The All New Beautiful Phyllis Diller Show".  This was a variety show like a lot of the variety shows with guest stars.  Too bad they took these funny shows off the air but they probably had low ratings so , hasta la vista!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors