Honored Social Butterfly

Early TV programs Do You Remember These?

Ted Mack and the Original Amateur Hour. 1948 to 1980

A direct descendant of radio's "Major Bowes Original Amateur Hour" (1934-1946), hosted by Major Edward Bowes until his death. After a one-year hiatus, Ted Mack, who had directed Bowes' auditions, revived the show (which lasted into 1952) and brought the concept to the DuMont Television Network. The at-home audience voted by postcard for the favorite, winning performer(s) each week.

i love the voting by post cards 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

If you remember Sky King, you should remember Fury and My Friend Flicka!  Other Saturday morning specials.

"Out of the blue of the western sky comes...Sky King!"
Conversationalist

Yes: saturday mornings with Skylar King, Penny, the Songbird and Flying Crown Ranch! And Fury, My Friend Flicka and Whirleybirds.  In the evenings, Disney's version of Zorro with Guy Madison - who later portrayed the father on Lost in Space.

Conversationalist

I believe that was Guy Williams as Zorro. Guy Madison played Wild Bill Hickock (wait for me!).
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Zorro was one of my favorites.  I also never missed Gunsmoke, the best Western ever made. I still watch it every day on me tv. I also liked watching Hazel , the life of Riley, Andy Griffith, and the 3 stooges. I now watch the reruns of The Love Boat on me tv every Sunday and it releases my stress and for the 2 hours it's on l feel like I'm back in the good old days.

Conversationalist

Remember Whats My Line?, Who Do You Trust?, Space Patrol, Rocky Jones Space Ranger?

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Either I lived on the wrong coast or those shows were slightly before my time. My memory bank goes back to the late 50's. I do remember What's My Line alsothough I don't remember really watching it. The others you mentioned are a blank.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

You are correct: Guy Williams not Madison. Thought about that shortly after I posted.

Contributor

And RIn Tin Tin.
Trusted Contributor

Out of the blue of the western sky: Sky King, with Kirby Grant as Sky King!

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes.

0 Kudos
Contributor

All 3 of these were favorites of mine.  Of course I remember them

0 Kudos
Contributor

Engineer Bill!  I was on that show. 

Periodic Contributor

If it's the same show, it was the Breakman Bill show???  At least it was in the Pac NW?

0 Kudos
Contributor

I remember some I used to watch Saturday mornings, Sky King, Sea Hunt, and Roy Rogers and Dale Evans.

Regular Social Butterfly

@sasquatch69wrote:

I remember some I used to watch Saturday mornings, Sky King, Sea Hunt, and Roy Rogers and Dale Evans.

Sea Hunt was on at night immediately before Twilight Zone.

You are getting sleepy.
Periodic Contributor

Just watched Sea Hunt about 2 weeks ago.

Contributor

Don't remember Ted Mack's Amateur Hour, but do you remember Andy Devine's show?  My brother LOVED the "pluck your magic twanger, Froggie".  Strange, yes, but what a memory to make me laugh.

Regular Social Butterfly

@kr6809wrote:

Don't remember Ted Mack's Amateur Hour, but do you remember Andy Devine's show?  My brother LOVED the "pluck your magic twanger, Froggie".  Strange, yes, but what a memory to make me laugh.

I loved the Andy Devine Show.  Midnight, the cat, said, "Nice."  

You are getting sleepy.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I always liked the Genie in the Jug adventures on the radio program, but that part didn't make it onto the TV show.  And I was a little disappointed at what Froggy looked like.  Radio was a better theater of the mind.

Gold Conversationalist

Brought to you by Buster Brown Shoes! Hiya kids, hiya, hiya, hiya!
0 Kudos
Contributor

Hopalong Cassidy, Saturday night wrestling,

Contributor

Do you remember who preceeded Andy Divine?

The answer, "Smilin" Ed McConnell.

Don't believe me?

Look it up

Contributor

Loved Kung **bleep**. My first thought about Asian philosophy. It made an impression on me Grasshopper.

Periodic Contributor

How about the westerns? Paladin, the Rifleman, Kit Carson, Roy Rogers....

Regular Social Butterfly

@nanapeteywrote:

How about the westerns? Paladin, the Rifleman, Kit Carson, Roy Rogers....

I remember almost all cowboy shows because I hated them.  As a child, I couldn't understand why there was such a big glut of cowboy shows.  It seemed as though there was a conspiracy to shove them up my butt.  Now that I am older, I analyse it as a sign of mass insanity.  Here are some more that I hated:

Hopalong Cassidy

Cisco Kid

Lone Ranger

Gene Autry

Raw Hide

Maverick

Sugar Foot

Wagon Train

Davy Crockett

Bonanza

Annie Oakley

Sky King

I only liked Wild Wild West and some spaghetti westerns.

You are getting sleepy.
Regular Contributor

My favorite western on Friday night after the Monkeeys were the Wild Wild West, starring Robert Conrad and Ross Martin. And on Sunday evening my favorite Syfy were Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, starring Richard Basehart and David Hedison.

BJ JOHNSON
Periodic Contributor

We have a local channel that still broadcasts many of the “OLD SHOWS “  Lake Havasu City!

Battlestar Galactica many of the Old and Not so goodies 

Regular Contributor

Do you remember: Sea Hunt with Lloyd Bridges &  Alfred Hichcock

Trusted Contributor

Sea Hunt with Lloyd Bridges as ex Navy Captain Mile Nelson.  I remember this show well.  It played on Channel 2 CBS in Los Angeles in the late 1950's to about 1964.  Lloyd Bridges lived in my neighborhood on the northeast corner of Kingsland Avenue and Butler Avenue in the late 1950's.  I remember he lived a rather quiet and unassuming life and the time when his Cadillac sedan was stolen in 1960.  Shortly thereafter he moved to Pacific Palisades.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Remember playing for hours at the local arcade? Now, play your favorite Atari games like Pong, Centipede, Breakout, Missile Command & Asteroids on AARP Games. Play Now.

AARP Games Atari

AARP Games

Atari's Asteroids is here! Grab the controls, destroy asteroids and watch out for counter fire in this classic arcade game.

Game on!
AARP Games Atari Asteroids
Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits.

Learn more now.
/html/assets/SS-Marketing-Image-300x155.jpg