You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Get a free phone charging set with promo code AARP6.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Oscar Pistorius can't appeal murder conviction, court says

Message 1 of 16

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@nyadrn - Have the TV going in the other room, and heard them mention "Pistorius", but not the details. Glad this happened! I think there have been a few docudramas about the relationship, murder & trial on TV, and they show him as being a self-centered, controlling man, unable to control his anger.

Yes there have been a few made for tv shows about this trial.  The ruling today changes a six year sentence which the prosecution argued was way too lenient and it certainly seems that it was.  

" During Pistorius' sentencing for murder, the trial judge cited mitigating circumstances for a lesser punishment, saying Pistorius was genuinely remorseful and a good candidate for rehabilitation."    

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 16

@nyadrn - Have the TV going in the other room, and heard them mention "Pistorius", but not the details. Glad this happened! I think there have been a few docudramas about the relationship, murder & trial on TV, and they show him as being a self-centered, controlling man, unable to control his anger.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 16

@ASTRAEA @doglover52

Sentencing update

Pistorius re-sentencing is justice for Reeva Steenkamp, her family says
By Nicole Chavez and Sean Coppack, CNN

Updated 5:21 AM ET, Fri November 24, 2017

(CNN)Reeva Steenkamp "can now rest in peace," her family said Friday, after a South African high court more than doubled Oscar Pistorius' sentence for her killing.

The nation's Supreme Court of Appeal increased his sentence to 13 years and five months for the murder of his girlfriend, Steenkamp. It issued the ruling after the prosecution appealed his previous sentence of six years as too lenient.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/24/africa/oscar-pistorius-murder-sentence-increased/index.html

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Oscar Pistorius can't appeal murder conviction, court says

Message 4 of 16

(CNN)A South African court has refused Oscar Pistorius' request to appeal his murder conviction in the 2013 death of his girlfriend, a representative of his legal team told CNN on Thursday, clearing the way for an April sentencing.

The decision comes two months after a different court overturned his 2014 conviction of culpable homicide and instead found him guilty of murder.

South Africa's Constitutional Court refused Pistorius' application to appeal the December ruling, saying that his appeal would have no realistic prospect of success, the legal team representative said.

Pistorius is scheduled to be resentenced on April 18. He faces up to 15 years in prison.

The double-amputee sprinter initially was sentenced to five years in prison for culpable homicide. He served a year of that sentence in prison before being transferred to house detention.

After South Africa's Supreme Court of Appeal overturned the initial conviction and found him guilty of murder in December, he was released on bail, with the stipulation that he wear an electronic monitoring device and travel only a limited distance from home between 7 a.m. and noon.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/03/africa/pistorius-appeal-refused/index.html?eref=rss_world

Boy this has come full circle..  I can't believe how long ago the trial was broadcast.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

RE: DATELINE March 1st The Oscar Pistorius murder case

Message 5 of 16

In Response to RE: DATELINE March 1st The Oscar Pistorius murder case by ASTRAEA

Yes you are right.  I am sure that this will be another sensational trial and on the "court tv" shows for quite a while.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 16

In Response to RE: DATELINE March 1st The Oscar Pistorius murder case by nyadrn

That's probably why there's speculation that she'd sought refuge in the bathroom, so she could call for help, if he were threatening her.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 16

In Response to RE: DATELINE March 1st The Oscar Pistorius murder case by ASTRAEA

If you have a gun and an intruder trapped in the bathroom, calling the police would be top of my list  but he called the home association instead after he already shot four shots into a pretty small bathroom. Not sure how the law would stand in either country but seems strange to me.  I also thought it was strange that two phones were in the bathroom with her.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 16

NBC hyped this like it was an 'exclusive special'.I watched 20min,it was just a rehash of what I had read in the NYTimes/USA Today,or saw on NBC Nightly News. I agree its a sad story,2 families forever changed by this tragedy Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 16

One thing was very interesting; they were interviewing a Black man I think was the SA equivalent of our District Attorney, and he said that even if Oscar didn't mean to kill his girlfriend, and really believe it was an intruder, that he still wouldn't be off the hook. Apparently Pistorius said that thinking it was an intruder, he took a weapon with the intention of killing the person, and than hoping to chase him away or just wound him.

I wonder how that compares with the laws in the United States. If there's an intruder in your house, and you have some sort of weapon, is a homeowner supposed to make every effort to scare them off or disable them, rather than deliberately try to kill them?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 16

I guess it just did not live up to the hype for me as I have been following the news and seen most of what was presented.  It is another sad story with a dead girl at the end of it and two families left with pain and sadness,  I hope it was true that he thought it was an intruder because the opposite is so hard to believe.  Someone with so much to live for or rather two of them. 

Kudos
Views