Prevention is the best medicine when it comes to avoiding surprise medical bills! Learn more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Call the Midwife - PBS

Message 1 of 5

This season has been very interesting. They have tackled a number of difficult subjects, and done it in a respectable way. They covered abortion twice, measles vaccinations, and now a person of mixed genders. 

It was the mid-60's, so social norms were still very conservative, and these subjects were seldom discussed, even among family members. I think that most people were simply too embarrassed to bring them up. The parents or adults of this time were heavily influenced by their more Victorian parents. I know that mine were.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

Hi, all!

@ASTRAEA Yes, the family seemed so close I was very surprised she hid that from her mother!

Also, the exam from the "horde" of MEN doctors/students was horrible! That would have totally freaked me out!

So glad her fiance was such a good man and they were able to work everything out.

I felt bad for Sister Monica Joan when the girl's mother came banging on the door of Nonatus.

I just edited my typo above. Went to the eye doc today and guessing my pupils are still a bit dilated! Cat Tongue

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

I couldn't believe how that girl about to get married kept it a secret from her sister & mother, that she'd never gotten her period. They seemed like a close & loving family, so why keep something that major a secret? And even after they told her about her serious condition, she still tried to keep it a secret .. even from her fiance.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5
My daughter and I usually watch the Sunday night "Call The Midwife", though you can watch a previous one on Saturday. I find the topics very interesting, also informative, and the characters play their parts well. I like to watch it afterward as they delve into the character of each one giving information about them. This is one of our favorites and we never miss a showing...PBS has so much to offer the public and isn't garbage...
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Call the Midwife - PBS

Message 5 of 5

Got home early enough yesterday, not to miss the new episodes of "Call the Midwife" or "Unforgotten"!

One of last night's story lines on "CTM" was about the termination of pregnancies, and that abortion was still illegal (Season 8). England (or at least where Nonatus House is) seems so backward, compared to the U.S., when it comes to people understanding biology.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors