Boycotts, Movements and Marches: Relive Some of the Events That Led to Change During the Civil Rights Movement. Read More

Super Social Butterfly

Re: Anyone revisiting old TV series?

Message 1 of 337

@TheGent2Uwrote:
"Does anyone remember Inner Sanctum? It was long before Twilight Zone and One Step Beyond."

I believe it was both a TV and a radio show. I grew up in the military at the time that all we had was Armed Forces Radio if we were overseas. That gave me a well-rounded taste in music (one station, so it played one hour each of several genres) and a love for old time radio. I still have both.

I don't remember Inner Sanctum, probably because it was syndicated in 1954.  It is exactly the type of show that I would have watched, had it been available in Chicago.  But, we had another syndicated show, Shock Theater.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_Theater

Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 337

@TheGent2Uwrote:

j99089l  - During the summer of 1967 we would take day trips. Of course, this was before the bazillion recording devices we have now, so I complained mightily (but respectfully) if the trip was during the week and we were not home by 4:00 - to watch "Dark Shadows".

I used to have a co-worker. Name was Angelique. And yes, she was named for THAT Angelique. She was taken aback when she learned that she was named for a witch.  Good thoughts to you, Lara Parker, wherever you may be.

Oh boy  we ran home from school to watch Dark Shadows!!!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 337
@n5661921 SO TRUE! This is why Star Trek II was so much better than Star Trek I (The Motion Picture). Star Trek I tried to dazzle us, thinking we would just be happy to have the crew back. Star Trek II let the characters drive the story - which was what made the series work.
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 337

Hi Is1873,

I remember My Favorite Martian too. Sometimes, when movies are made from the old shows, something gets lost and all the extra special effects, added characters, etc., change our memories of original shows. Any other people feel the same way.

Conversationalist

Message 5 of 337

...and, Mr. Lucky

Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 337
@rc49566842: I do remember listening to Cisco Kid and Amos and Andy. I know about Boston Blackie. I lived in Southern California for many years. Radio station KNX (1070) ran a Drama Hour for many years at 9 pm with a 2 am repeat. Two radio plays per night, rotating several series. But Saturday night was constant: Jack Benny, followed by Burns & Allen. I moved from the area several years ago. On a recent trip back I was saddened to learn that they no longer do this.
Conversationalist

Message 7 of 337

Yes. Then you probably remember Boston Blackie. Amos and Andy, and Cisco Kid (before TV). My mom use to listen to a soap called Brighter Day, then it moved to TV. Back then, I think the "stories" on TV were only 15 min.

Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 337
"Does anyone remember Inner Sanctum? It was long before Twilight Zone and One Step Beyond."

I believe it was both a TV and a radio show. I grew up in the military at the time that all we had was Armed Forces Radio if we were overseas. That gave me a well-rounded taste in music (one station, so it played one hour each of several genres) and a love for old time radio. I still have both.
Conversationalist

Message 9 of 337

Does anyone remember Inner Sanctum? It was long before Twilight Zone and One Step Beyond.

Conversationalist

Message 10 of 337

I'm watching Sea Hunt, Lassie (before Timmy ☺), Burke's Law, and my favorite...starring Richard Green, Robin Hood, Robin Hood riding through the glen, Robin Hood, Robin Hood, with his band of men. Feared by the bad, loved by the good. Robin Hood, Robin Hood, Robin Hood.