Honored Social Butterfly

Anyone revisiting old TV series?

DW and I have started going through Netflix offerings and are looking to watch older series we liked. We just started West Wing, for example. I think we'll put ER into the queue. 

Do you guys like re-watching old series, or not as interesting to you second time around? 

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Bronze Conversationalist

I watched Hunter and Gunsmoke too. I probably go back a little farther, I watched Gunsmoke when it was a 30-minute show. I also watched Wyatt Earp with Hugh O'Brien. As a kid I watched Howdy Doddy and my sister had to see Cuckloo Fran and Oliey. Hope I spelled that right. On Saturday mornings my Grandpa and I would watch old Cowboys with Bob Steel, Buck Jones, Tim McCoy, and Lash LaRue to name a few. I loved every minute and I loved my Grandpa too. I was blessed with wonderful grandparents and these great memories. Before that, we listened to the radio. The Lone Ranger on the radio used your imagination but when I saw him on television I never listened to him on the radio again. My Dad said I was ruined by Television but he sure watched a lot of it.

Regular Contributor

Howdy Doody and Kukla, Fran, and Ollie!
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

You are so right about Gunsmoke. I call it the Justice Hour when it comes on. Where I go in fantasy since I can get no justice in the real world.

Carol Burnett continues to captivate and give those belly laughs. I get them from watching Mama's Family.

For my detective mystery, happy to report the return of Cold Case. There's a new digital channel available over the air called Start that is featuring series led by women. Dr. Quinn, Medium, The Closer, The Division are in their line-up.
Recognized Social Butterfly

LydiaN586309

Just I watched an episode of Hunter last night.

I also watched an episode of Black Sheep Squadron.

Contributor

Though it’s not been so long since this show originally aired, I really enjoy Everybody Loves Raymond.  The family situations and relationships are funny and timeless.  My other favorite is the British production of Agatha Christie’s “Poirot” with David Suchet. 

By by the way, does anyone know where I can find Northern Exposure?  I have never been able to find reruns of that show and I loved it.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly

THAT WAS A GREAT ONE- I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT "TWIN PEAKS " PAVED THE WAY FOR THAT KIND OF WEIRD SHOW.
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
0 Kudos

I actually just found the old show Nanny and the professor. Does anyone happen to remember the show?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Yes, I remember Nanny and the Professor. Nanny was a goat, right?
0 Kudos

Also The Ghost and mrs. Muir.  Also H&R pufnstuf.  And The Banana Splits.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Love that G and Mrs. M!
Contributor

I still enjoy watching Living Single, and Designing Women reruns.  I also like Soap and Benson too.  They are hilarious.

Social Butterfly

"HILL STREET BLUES" & SOME OF THE STAR TREK " SERIES, ESPECIALLY, "THE NEXT GENERATION"& "VOYAGER". MARSHALL MCLUHAN WROTE SOMETHING TO THE EFFECT OF 'ARTISTS(& WRITERS) ARE THE TRUE PROPHETS, FOR ONLY THEY CAN PREDICT THE FUTURE'. WE CAN LOOK TO SOME OF THE SCIENCE FICTION SERIES TO SEE HOW SPOT-ON THOSE PREDICTIONS ARE!
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Trusted Contributor

Wagon Train on ME TV. 

I wish Coronet Blue, The Rat Patrol and The Immortal (both with Christopher George), and Then Came Bronson were being aired.  Hopefully soon.

Fey Lady
Regular Contributor

Too distracted to concentrate, but do manage to slip in the occasional Little House and have recently renewed my love affair with Richard Boone as Paladin.

Watched Designing Women until a season change saw them replaced. Loved that smart-talking Dixie Carter as Julia Sugarbaker. The entire ensemble was great. I especially miss Anthony played by Meshach Taylor.

Honored Social Butterfly

@vj2057 wrote:

Too distracted to concentrate, but do manage to slip in the occasional Little House and have recently renewed my love affair with Richard Boone as Paladin.

I'm  with you on  "Have Gun Will Travel" -- aka Palladin. I loved it back in the 50s and 60s and it still holds up today.

Regular Contributor

Enjoyed Peter Gun too, especially the theme song.😊.  

Watching Mike Connors in Mannix, but, does anyone remember his first series called "Tightrope"? He was the first, I believe, P.I. to carry his gun in his back. The bad guys never thought to look there.

Regular Contributor

Another good British show we've enjoyed is "The Vicar of Dibley".  It was available on Netflix but it looks like that is no longer the case.

Social Butterfly

HAVE BEEN HOKED ON "BRITCOMS" FOR YEARS. MY ONLY COMPLAINT IS LOCAL PBS AIRS THE SAME ONES OVER & OVER-"KEEPING UP APPEARANCES", " ARE YOU BEING SERVED" , BUT I CANNOT GET ENOUGH OF "THE VICAR OF DIBLEY"& " AS TIME GOES BY"
Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

Does anyone remember Inner Sanctum? It was long before Twilight Zone and One Step Beyond.

Silver Conversationalist

"Does anyone remember Inner Sanctum? It was long before Twilight Zone and One Step Beyond."

I believe it was both a TV and a radio show. I grew up in the military at the time that all we had was Armed Forces Radio if we were overseas. That gave me a well-rounded taste in music (one station, so it played one hour each of several genres) and a love for old time radio. I still have both.

@TheGent2Uwrote:
"Does anyone remember Inner Sanctum? It was long before Twilight Zone and One Step Beyond."

I believe it was both a TV and a radio show. I grew up in the military at the time that all we had was Armed Forces Radio if we were overseas. That gave me a well-rounded taste in music (one station, so it played one hour each of several genres) and a love for old time radio. I still have both.

I don't remember Inner Sanctum, probably because it was syndicated in 1954.  It is exactly the type of show that I would have watched, had it been available in Chicago.  But, we had another syndicated show, Shock Theater.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_Theater

You are getting sleepy.
Regular Contributor

Yes. Then you probably remember Boston Blackie. Amos and Andy, and Cisco Kid (before TV). My mom use to listen to a soap called Brighter Day, then it moved to TV. Back then, I think the "stories" on TV were only 15 min.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@rc49566842: I do remember listening to Cisco Kid and Amos and Andy. I know about Boston Blackie. I lived in Southern California for many years. Radio station KNX (1070) ran a Drama Hour for many years at 9 pm with a 2 am repeat. Two radio plays per night, rotating several series. But Saturday night was constant: Jack Benny, followed by Burns & Allen. I moved from the area several years ago. On a recent trip back I was saddened to learn that they no longer do this.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I'm watching Sea Hunt, Lassie (before Timmy ☺), Burke's Law, and my favorite...starring Richard Green, Robin Hood, Robin Hood riding through the glen, Robin Hood, Robin Hood, with his band of men. Feared by the bad, loved by the good. Robin Hood, Robin Hood, Robin Hood.

Kudos
Views

Did anyone mention Life with Elizabeth?  I watch on broadcast TV, Decades. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7z0zAN_frw

I have many episodes of Tales of Tomorrow on DVD but my set isn't complete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeZXUI98eEw

I don't think Amos and Andy is available outside Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=griMGY-JLvo

You are getting sleepy.
Contributor

I'm watching Mama's Family and Perry Mason.  Awesome.

0 Kudos
Contributor

After reading your article on Longmire I would love to start the series. Can you tell me how to accomplish this with a Roku and Antenna?  Want to start with Series 1.

Thanks

Netflix

0 Kudos
Contributor

Looking for The Troubleshooters 1959-1960. Thanks
0 Kudos

Longmeadow is on Netflix from the beginning.