Honored Social Butterfly

Anyone revisiting old TV series?

DW and I have started going through Netflix offerings and are looking to watch older series we liked. We just started West Wing, for example. I think we'll put ER into the queue. 

Do you guys like re-watching old series, or not as interesting to you second time around? 

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Contributor

DARK SHADOWS WAS WHAT WE ALL RAN HOME FROM SCHOOL TO SEE

I've been watching the Outer Limits , Perry Mason, and 

Alfred Hitchcock. The Twilight Zone I never miss. The British series' are hard to find but I did catch Call the Midwife and As Time Goes by, with a young Judy Dench. 

Contributor

I like all those shows too. And, yes, my siblings and I did hurry home every weekday to watch Dark Shadows. We loved it.
Social Butterfly

WE LOVED "NIGHT GALLERY" AS WELL.
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Contributor

I am a Perry Mason  fan also 77 Sunset Strip 'kookie kookie lend me your comb'  Peter Gunn,Highway Patrol,Batman,The Green Hornet  & Superman and golleeee surprise surprise an oldie  from Mayberry the Andy Griffith Show 'nip it nip it the bud' old  Deputy Barney Fife trying to sober up Otis ah what memories 

Regular Social Butterfly

@spate7wrote:

I am a Perry Mason  fan also 77 Sunset Strip 'kookie kookie lend me your comb'  Peter Gunn,Highway Patrol,Batman,The Green Hornet  & Superman and golleeee surprise surprise an oldie  from Mayberry the Andy Griffith Show 'nip it nip it the bud' old  Deputy Barney Fife trying to sober up Otis ah what memories 

Do you remember that the Andy Griffith Show was a spin-off of the Danny Thomas Show?  I do.  On Danny's show, Andy arrested Danny for breaking some traffic law (stop sign?) while driving through Mayberry.  In jail, Danny enjoyed Aunt Bee's cooking.

You are getting sleepy.
Periodic Contributor

Yes! I do recall that Danny Thomas classic episode. Great reminder of the ageless theme " big city big shot with  busy life" meets small town simple and stressless life. The networks struck gold with copycats from Hooterville,Green Acres, and Petticoat Junction... 

Social Butterfly

IMISSED "WILL& GRACE" THE FIRST TIME AROUND, SO AM ENJOYING THE RE-RUNS ON COZI-TV. WHEN IT AIRS IN P.M. DITTO SQUARED "I LOVE LUCY"- CAN NEVER GROW TIRED OF HER. A CLASSIC, AT THE LEAST.
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
0 Kudos
Recognized Social Butterfly

QUINCY, M.E. IS ON COZI  TV. JUST LOVE TO REVISIT THE OLD SHOWS. PLUS THE OLD ADS ARE SO GREAT AND FUNNY. NANCY

Social Butterfly

M Y MOM, SIS,& I ALWAYS LOVED CAROL BURNETT- CLASSIC& WONDERFUL. OUR FAVORITE IS HER TAKE OFF ON SCARLETO-HARA'S BALL GOWN( CAROL WEARS A CURTAIN ROD ACROSS HER SHOULDERS-" SAW IT IN THE WINDOW& JUST HAD TO HAVE IT..."-PRICELESS. WHENEVER SHE'S ON LATE NIGHT RERUNS, I CAN'T LOOK AWAY.
0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@n566192l wrote:

QUINCY, M.E. IS ON COZI  TV. JUST LOVE TO REVISIT THE OLD SHOWS. PLUS THE OLD ADS ARE SO GREAT AND FUNNY. NANCY

I usually hate ads but one I loved was the old Hamm's beer ads with that Bear. They were so funny.

Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

Haven't heard of Hamms in dog years!
Honored Social Butterfly

My Little Margie (I have a sister named Margie)

My Little Margie premiered on CBS as the summer replacement for I Love Lucy on June 16, 1952, under the sponsorship of Philip Morris cigarettes (when the series moved to NBC for its third season in the fall of 1953, Scott Paper Company became its sponsor). In an unusual move, the series—with the same leads—aired original episodes on CBS Radio, concurrently with the TV broadcasts, from December 1952 through August 1955. Only 23 radio broadcasts are known to exist in recorded form.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Little_Margie

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Trusted Contributor

Re: My little Margie with Gale Storm.  Gale Storm came to Hollywood in 1940 from Bloominton Texas and through a lucky break met Hal Roach Jr. of Hal Roach Studios on Washingtom Blvd. in downtown Culver City.  My mother worked for Hall Roach from 1936 -1962, and was the last employee as she was a whiz at taxes and accounting and helped him sort out the procedures of his 1962 bankruptcy.  Anyway, Hal Roach had an idea of a sitcom and decided to give Gsle Storm, then Josephine Cottle the main role as Margie Albright.  Her co star was to be Charlie Farrell a former silent film actor to play Vern Albright as her father.  I recall at the end many episodes before running the credits, after Margie meddled in her widowed fathers affairs, 'all in good meaning of course', he'd say " That's My Little Margie"

Silver Conversationalist

@Tigerbabe44: Very unusual name: X. Brands. What is even more amazing: it was a family name.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

To e806342f (Silver Conversationalist):  Thanks for playing.  Anybody else out there have an early TV trivia question???  Put it out there or as we say online - post it!

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Here's a really obscure queation: Does anyone remember 'I married Joan' with Joan Davis and Jim Backus (Thurston Howell on Gilligan's Island and the voice of cartoon character 'Mr. Mcgoo), verly early 1950's?

Conversationalist

I remember watching it with my sister before bed time. We also watched The People's Choice with Jackie Cooper of Little Rascals fame.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Contributor

Here's a really obscure question: Does anyone remember 'I married Joan' with Joan Davis and Jim Backus (Thurston Howell on Gilligan's Island and the voice of cartoon character 'Mr. Mc Goo), vely early 1950's, kind of like
'I Love Lucy' but shorter lived but just as funny?
Conversationalist

@w972822m   Yes, I too watched I Married Joan.  It was good show.  I really am enjoying this stroll down memory lane.. 

Silver Conversationalist

"I married Joan. What a girl, what a world, what a life." Don't remember the rest, but thanks for the memory trigger.
Trusted Contributor

The thme music for the early 1950's sitcom 'I married Joan' went something like this:

I married Joan,

what a girl, what a world, what a life,

evening and day she keeps my heart lovin',

and that's why I married Joan,

and that's all I remember

Silver Conversationalist

@w972822m Thanks for the correction - I wondered after my post if I had mixed "wife" and "life". Blessings to you and yours.

Conversationalist

Was anyone out there a fan of "Our Miss Brooks"?  I certainly was. It's amazing to me how often I saw the actors and actresses from that show on other programs over the following years. 

Periodic Contributor

You would certainly appreciate her in 'Mildred Pierce' with Joan Crawford. For my money more beautiful than Joan BUT a dear, friend & support, though understated.

Trusted Contributor

Eve Arden went onto do 'bit parts' through the late 1950's after 'Our Miss Brooks' folded to the mid 1960's when she landed the role of Eve Hubbard in 'The Mothers in law', with co star Kay Ballard as Bay Buell.  It starred the late Roger C Carmel as Roger, an architect and when Roger C Carmel's contract ran out, he was replaced with Richard Deacon, (Mel Cooley of the Dick Van Dyke show) and Herbert Rudley as Eve's husband Herb. The shows idea was these two families were neighbors and became in laws after their kids Jerry Buell, played by Jerry Fogel and Suzie Buell played by Deborah Walley,(Gidget) got married and like many in laws, gave a lot of unsolicited advice and interfered in their kids marriage.  

Recognized Social Butterfly

Cat LOL What a coincidence! I was just thinking about Our Miss Brooks and Eve Arden last night! What was Gale Gordon's character named? Was is Mr. Boynton or something like that?

Conversationalist

@catwoman500@dragons3@  Mr. Boynton was her love interest. I think he was a biology or science teacher.  Not the principal. His name was Mr. Conklin. I was trying to remember more about the landlady where Miss Brooks lived too. 

"Grease" was one of my favorite movies of all time. I do remember her line about being an "athletic supporter".  

And just this morning after asking about the Our Miss Brooks thing, I was thinking about December Bride and that cast. I remember wishing that I'd had a grandma like her. I liked her friend Hilda too. My mom had a friend named Hilda.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Our Miss bBooks, starring Eve Arden, Gale Gordon, Richard Crenna, Gloria McMillan, Robert Rockwell, and Maurice Marzak ran from about 1952-1956, I think, early to mid `1950's, then reran in the daytime in the early 1960's. Miss Brooks rented a room in the home of Ms. Davis, a widow,  "Connie" as Ms, Davis called her was played by Jane Morgan. Just thought everyone'd like to know another bit of real obscure trivia.  Anybody know the high school Miss Brooks tauight at?...Too late..Madison High School.  Anyone remnember what she tauught?...Too late..English.  Such good memories of some of these long, long gone tv shows that remind us of much simpler times!

Trusted Contributor

December Bride;  The mother in law was played by Spring Byington and her bud, Hilda Crocker, Verna Felton

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 wrote:

Cat LOL What a coincidence! I was just thinking about Our Miss Brooks and Eve Arden last night! What was Gale Gordon's character named? Was is Mr. Boynton or something like that?

No, he played Mr. Conklin, the school principal.  Mr. Boynton was played by Robert Rockwell and was a fellow teacher and gentleman friend of Miss Brooks.

A bit of trivia -- Walter, the student with the cracking voice, who often gave Miss Brooks a ride to school, was played by Richard Crenna.

Some of this information comes from memory and some from  IMDB.com.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Remember playing for hours at the local arcade? Now, play your favorite Atari games like Pong, Centipede, Breakout, Missile Command & Asteroids on AARP Games. Play Now.

AARP Games Atari

AARP Games

Atari's Asteroids is here! Grab the controls, destroy asteroids and watch out for counter fire in this classic arcade game.

Game on!
AARP Games Atari Asteroids
Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits.

Learn more now.
/html/assets/SS-Marketing-Image-300x155.jpg