Honored Social Butterfly

Anyone revisiting old TV series?

DW and I have started going through Netflix offerings and are looking to watch older series we liked. We just started West Wing, for example. I think we'll put ER into the queue. 

Do you guys like re-watching old series, or not as interesting to you second time around? 

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Silver Conversationalist

Another Prime Find:

Gail Davis as Annie Oakley.

Conversationalist

The original "Twilight Zone" and "The Outer Limits" 

Both have been revived, but the original's are still the best.

Gold Conversationalist

Being I was born in '68, I enjoy watching classic tv show. Lately been watching " The Cisco Kid", " Wagon Train", "Have Gun, Will Travel", and " Rawhide". Big fan of Clint Eastwood.

Silver Conversationalist

Patrick McGoohan, both as "Danger Man" ("Secret Agent" in the U.S.) and "The Prisoner".

Hugh O'Brien in "The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp".

Roger Moore as "The Saint".

Located all of them through Prime.

Regular Contributor

I loved watching Laredo - William Smith as Joe Riley.  How about Jock Mohoney as the Range Rider?

Periodic Contributor

I like old westerns, so Maverick, Rawhide, Wagon Train are good, but I have

really enjoyed re-watching Have Gun Will Travel with Richard Boone.  I like the way it tried to look at a variety of issues and even has some diverse characters in its cast.  I love the older episodes where Paladin speaks at the beginning of the show and then you hear the words said later in the story.  Yes, it has its

stereotypes at times with Hey Boy and how women are portrayed, but I think it is a western of a slightly higher class.

I'm enjoying watching Hawkeye, partly because I'm a fan of J. M. Cooper's

Deerslayer.  It might be a bit preachy, but I like the comments made by Lynda

Carter's character at the end of episode.

On Saturday night on MeTV, I get to see old episodes of Black Sheep

Squadron, Combat and The Rat Patrol.  With my Dish TV, I can have

them recorded and ready for me to see.

Finally, I'm probably one of the few people who like to watch the old

series:  Beastmaster.  It might be just another western with heroes, villains, magic cool animals in a tropical setting, but I enjoy it.

Regular Contributor

Yes those old western are good .Some or the ones that are watched here are Rawhide  ,Gunsmoke and the ones called Marshell Dillon ,Wanted Dead or Alive ,and Rifleman .I live the room when rifleman comes on as most of these I know what is going to be said next .Husband gets mad when I talk along with the  tv ,so I leave .LOL

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist

The Waltons, Happy Days, The Brady Bunch and Gilligan's Island. Always bring back fond memories of being a kid.

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

I love the hilarious comedies from the 1970s and 1980s!! Yup fond memories of those shows!!

Regular Contributor

Yes love them . We all need a laugh or smile these. days

Social Butterfly

Yes I love old series 

Can & do watch "MASH", Perry Mason, Ironside most everyday on METV 

& Have always loved "I love Lucy" & "Bewitched".... still die laughing when watch Lucy set fake nose on fire with William Holden 

Also can rewatch any Law & Order series especially the Original & SVU & Criminal Intent

I truly enjoy watching TV & recall our family getting 1st Black and white TV set in 60's ........ : ) 

🙂 Smile & the world Smiles with you 😉 Pass one on....its free
Social Butterfly

LOVE MOST OLD 60'S SERIES, ESPECIALLY "I LOVE LUCY", BUT LATELY AM INTO STAR TREK"VOYAGER"& " THE GOOD WIFE"- BOTH OF WHICH I MISSED THE FIRST TIME AROUND. NOT HAVING CABLE, I'M LIMITED ON CHANNELS- BUT OKAY SINCE MOST NEW STUFF CAN NEVER LIVE UP TO THE CLASSICS.
SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Periodic Contributor

Recently I have had the desire to seek out the old kiddy shows we used to watch on our tiny black and white. Youtube has some of the old Andy's Gang shows, which featured Froggy the Gremlin and some other weird characters, including music professor Pastafazooli (character actor Vito Scotti.)

There are also clips from Howdy Doody, Lone Ranger, Zorro, Sandy Becker and Winky Dink!

Anyone remember Cicus Boy?

Regular Contributor

I remember Circus Boy. Have seen it late at night on an oldies tv station. It was a while ago.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I remember circus boy . But don’t get it at this time

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@JoanieW12 

Nope don't recall Circus boy

But have seen recently The Monkeys and HR Puffenstuff on Cozi TV & Partridge Family(have watched alot of these again) which is freaky I had crushes on David Cassidy & Jack Wilder(HRP) & Bobby Sherman and Donny Osmond

Used to send them fan mail ... the good ole days 

Ginger  : ) 

🙂 Smile & the world Smiles with you 😉 Pass one on....its free
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I've been watching the old westerns lately.  I've been binging on Gunsmoke, Bonanza, and The Rifleman in particular.  They all had good storylines and The Rifleman always seemed to have a good moral at the end of each episode.

Regular Contributor

Yes,

Just happen to be channel surfing and came across an episode of the Dick Van Dyke Show. It was really interesting because during this episode, Rob, Laura and Ritchie somehow had dyed their hands black while enroute to a benefit gala where Rob was going to receive an award from a large group of officials who were mostly african american.

I have always loved this show and especially that apartment that is still modern to me to this day, but what I really loved was his concern about diversity, what the group would think of him and telling the truth about how he and his families hands got dyed accidently. I tell you it was epic. 

Social Butterfly

SOMEHOW, I MISSED THAT EPISODE. IT IS A VERY APPEALING SHOW, NO DOUBT.

SUPERGIRL, NO REALLY I MEAN IT! HER REAL NAME & MINE ARE THE SAME( FIRST 2 NAMES ARE)
Recognized Social Butterfly

Tonight CBS aired  2 color episodes of The Dick Van Dyke show and I Love Lucy show.

I still listen in on the Golden Girls whenever they are on.  I do not watch as I have seen all the episodes multiple times.  I still love the shows I grew up watching, they have stayed with me the same way favorite fairy tales have.  I Love Lucy, Andy Griffith, the Honeymooners (OK that was before my time, but I still loved it) anything with George Burns always perks  me up.

I loved My Favorite Martian, have not seen any reruns.  I guess none else loved it! There are lots more I loved.   Now I only watch Acorn & PBS on a regular basis. 

Regular Contributor

My Favorite Martian is on Amazon Prime for sure.
Honored Social Butterfly

@LaDolceVita wrote:

I still listen in on the Golden Girls whenever they are on.  I do not watch as I have seen all the episodes multiple times.  I still love the shows I grew up watching, they have stayed with me the same way favorite fairy tales have.  I Love Lucy, Andy Griffith, the Honeymooners (OK that was before my time, but I still loved it) anything with George Burns always perks  me up.

I loved My Favorite Martian, have not seen any reruns.  I guess none else loved it! There are lots more I loved.   Now I only watch Acorn & PBS on a regular basis. 

@LaDolceVita  Nice to see you. Hope all is well. Happy New Year to you!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith

While channel surfing I came across,  H & R Puff and Stuff and The Banana Splits. I also enjoyed  My Favorite Martian. I did see that Murphy Brown is back on the air.

Honored Social Butterfly

Two of my all time favorites are Barney Miller and Hill Street Blues.

Yes, I am I watch Nanny and the Professor, and of course more old tv series, wish they put "Barretta"! back on. 🙂

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

YouTube is my go to app when I want to see something old that is not being broadcast anywhere else. When I had a yen for Designing Women, found it on YouTube. Couldn't find Cold Case, though. Presently being broadcast over the air, so I get to enjoy the music and Jeremy Ratchford again!

Today, I wanted to see Flower Drum Song. Now, this isn't a series, but an old movie featuring the music of Rogers and Hammerstein. I can't get the entire movie, but I can listen to and watch some of my favorite songs from the movie.

I find that I like movies that feature a single musical director, Max Steiner. With that in mind, I'd like to recommend a series of films featuring Steiner's music: The Corn Is Green, Band of Angels, and Jezebel. Two feature Betty Davis, who is very difficult to find without having to pay an arm and a leg, and Band of Angels features Clark Gable, Yvonne de Carlo, and Sidney Poitier. I have never heard Poitier speak of his role in this film and have always wondered why.

Hope this isn't too off topic, but I do enjoy this forum and wanted to share my guilty pleasure (those recommended movies are all set in the 1800s and they all have something to say about women making their way in the world): old movies with mad music scores.

Cheers!

Bronze Conversationalist

A post saying the world was built by the lowest bidder must not have cable.  Cable, one of those things I have a love-hate relationship with.  It lets me watch the old shows I enjoyed and then ruins it with my bill. Netflix has a lot of old movies and shows and is reasonably priced. If anyone has Spectrum, channel 151 has a lot of old shows almost around the clock. I saw a series I had totally forgotten about,  PeterGunn. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Well, "old" TV is relative.   There's "old"  TV and then there's "O-L-D"!!!

Some of my favorite old TV series:  

1.  Gunsmoke.  This show never disaapoints.  Every episode was different, but each ended on a positive note.

2.  The Carol Burnett Show.   Always funny!  Laugh out loud funny.

3.  Hunter.  It is suitably old; about thirty years plus old.  And if y'all don't remember it, "Hunter" was about a detective hunting down criminals show and the detective was named "Hunter."  Loved it!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Ask the Expert: Juggling Caregiving Amidst Coronavirus this Holiday Season

Join AARP's Family and Caregiving Expert Amy Goyer to uncover the best ways to navigate the holiday season with your loved ones. Ask and Learn Now.

AARP Members Only Games

Was Breakout your favorite Atari game? Ready to knock out some bricks? AARP Members, now's your chance.

Don't let the ball hit the ground!
AARP Members Only Games Atari Breakout
Music and Brain Health

From soft jazz to hard rock - discover music's mental, social and physical benefits.

Learn more now.
/html/assets/SS-Marketing-Image-300x155.jpg