Highlighted
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: What is better for solo trips, a kayak or canoe?

Message 1 of 2

Dom, I am nowhere near able to answer your question(s), though I have paddled both a little bit.

But I am wanting to point out this book to you about Canadian Don Starkell who took a sea kayak from Hudson's Bay (I think he started in Churchill, MB) and over the course of 3 summers paddled around the northern coast of Canada to Tuktoyaktuk (or "Tuk"), Northwest Terrritories. He couldn't go in winter because the sea was iced through. You might find this an interesting or inspirational read. I recall his description of being chased by a hungry polar bear who was swimming after him for hours while Don paddled his kayak as fast as he could for those same hours. Eventually the bear gave up.

"Paddle to the Arctic" by Don Starkell (see www.amazon.com/Paddle-Arctic-Incredible-Story-Across/dp/0771082657)

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

What is better for solo trips, a kayak or canoe?

Message 2 of 2

For tripping, I prefer a canoe regardless of whether you’re solo or dual. It’s just so much easier to pack, and especially for portages - with a kayak you have to spend a bunch of time unpacking and repacking. In a canoe, you can hop out, sling your pack on your back, roll the canoe up on your shoulders, and walk. And the other advantage is that because it’s not as space restricted, you can use a proper frame pack, which will make your portages much nicer.

AND

What is better for solo trips, a kayak or canoe?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Call-in Event: Coronavirus: Maintaining Your Well-Being

Ask experts about the coronavirus, learn how to protect yourself, stay connected and cope with stress and anxiety brought on by the pandemic. Join AARP for a special call-in event April 9, at 1:00 pm (EDT).

You can participate by calling toll-free 1-855-274-9507.

Learn more about the event on our Tele-Town Hall page.