Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: What do you like about solo travel?

Message 1 of 21

I enjoy travelling solo to conferences geared around my hobbies of interest.  Right now that is ufology & bigfoot.  No matter what your hobby, there are folks gathering to learn, experience and meet like finded folk.  Weekend conferences or out of state - it is fun!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 21

I think it's a little bit of both.  I don't have anyone to travel with but I also prefer travelling alone. 

I don't have to consult with anyone if there's an activity I want to go and do when they might not want to.  

I've been to Chicago several times, mainly to see a musical or play.  Last time I went was to see Carol Burnett at the Chicago theatre.  Next trip will be to Chicago to go to the ChristKindle Market.  

I don't think I really have any favorite adventures. I'm still exploring and finding things I want to try and do. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 21

I started going places by myself when I was in my 30s with my dog.  I went camping to nearby state parks and went hiking.  Then, when I worked at a reservation center for a hotel chain, I started using the employee rate at the hotels to go to places I had never been to see plays and museums, etc. Had I not gone by myself or waited until someone went with me, I never would have gone or seen the things I have done and seen. 

For me, I'm not one that has to travel with a lot of luggage or even one big bag especially if it's just a weekend getaway, so I can just use a backpack to carry what I want to take and don't have to deal with or worry about lost luggage or having to handle a lot of luggage or toiletries since most hotels nowadays have the little soaps and shampoos in their bathrooms.  

It's okay to want to travel alone. It's an exciting time to go and do/see the things you've always wanted to do/see, especially if no one else wants to do it with you.  It's a chance to explore the things that you find exciting for yourself and whether it's something you like or not. 

For me, if your family and/or friends worry about you traveling by yourself, talk with them to let them know where you're going, how you're getting there and where you're staying and that it's only for emergencies.  Any trip I've ever taken, I've let my parents know so they know where I'm at in case they need to get a hold of me in an emergency and I've let them know when I've arrived in town and at the hotel.  Then again when I've left at the end of the trip.  BUT I have never regretted any of the trips I've taken.  I mean, how could I have regretted the trip to go see Carol Burnett in person or to see Cher or TSO in concert? Memories are better than regrets! 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 21

I took my first solo cruise last September. It was the best cruise I’ve been on so far. I was nervous about going alone, but ended up meeting lots of people. I only did activities alone if I wanted to. I went to the sail away party and immediately met someone. She talked me into going to the ship’s singles get-together. It turned out to be mostly women of my age. From then on I had many interesting and fun travel companions. Try it!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 21

Hello, everyone, I will be taking my first solo cruize next month. I'm a little hesitant. Most of my friends are marriedand can't go or rearrange their schedules.

Anyone else a solo cruizer here? 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 21

I started solo travel right after my husband died about 6 yr ago. Big step. But started with Grand Circle Travel, so never truly alone. It was great and exciting. But now, as a 79 year old woman, it is getting to be more a burden. The hassle  of carrying luggage, airline glitches, and getting to the airport and back are just too much and exhausting. Now i travel with my daughter and her husband. They handle the luggage and travel arrangements . We've been to Greece, Spain, Big Bear Lake, Calif., Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. We are all compatible. I am safe and happy, and not exhausted from the hassle. Solo travel is great but not sure after age 75.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 21

Nowadays, I generally travel with my partner (since we live in neighboring but different countries, it's a good part of our together time), but we've learned to accept each other's different wants:  he likes lunch and I go shopping; he can stay put and think or write while I tour the sights; we narrow down the shared dessert by a process of elimination; and when I'm driving I've got a navigator - especially handy in England & New Zealand (if that ambassador's wife had had one, she probably wouldn't have been on the wrong side of the road).  However, I was in Japan for 4 weeks before he joined me and had a marvelous time, but booked accomodations beforehand, and no place on earth is safer than Japan.  Also, in my twenties, I went on a 5-week trip to Mexico and met some interesting travel companions from France for part of it.  I also went on a 5-month tour of Europe with a friend who went home earlier, and that's when I really met people.  They are more likely to approach you if you're single (though you have to know how to avoid unwanted encounters).

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 21

I like the independence.  Can go where I want, when I want, can do this or that.  Some say there might be a stigma about dining alone in a restaurant.  If I have a book with me, who cares.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 21

My sentiment exactly!! 

Kenya

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 21

Having taken trips with others in the past, I much prefer my own company.  If I meet people in my travels, great and if I don't, so be it.  I'd rather do as I please than acquiesce to the pleasures of others.  

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users