From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: What do you like about solo travel?

Message 1 of 13

My sentiment exactly!! 

Kenya

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 13

Having taken trips with others in the past, I much prefer my own company.  If I meet people in my travels, great and if I don't, so be it.  I'd rather do as I please than acquiesce to the pleasures of others.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 13

Your first solo trip can be intimidating until you start the adventure.  Solo travel is SO MUCH MORE EXCITING.  You can do what you want when you want.  You can arrange you travel through an agent, especially for international travel, and still insert days for "just hanging out and doing your thing".

I have only had 2 people that I can travel with because we were of the same ilk.  No hangups about having to do everything together.  This is very important.  Solo travel allows you to discover your inner self and that is what is all about.  Visiting/experiencig where you have always wanted to go and having a feeling of accomplishment in your life.

Solo travel is the way to go!!!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 13

I totally agree!!!  You can always add a day or two of "free time" at each stop so that you can explore on your own.  I have my trips planned by Audley Travel out of Boston, MA and I have never been disappointed.  A bit on the pricy side but everything is taken care of, including airport pick-up, and whatever you want on your itinerary.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 13

I could CARE LESS about inconveniencing or boring the other person.  When I travel, I travel for me and no one else.  As "chronologicaly superior" individuals we know what we want and what we like.

I love to travel solo, especially internationally, so that I can experience new adventures and meet a lot of great people.  The first thing that I do is make friends with the bartender at all of the hotels that I am staying at.  They are a great source of information on LOCAL sites and fun things to do that you or your arranged trip planner may not include! 

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 13

I usually start off solo but end up hooking up with one of the solo women on the trip.  ☺️

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 13

I enjoy the freedom of going where and when I want without worrying that I’m inconveniencing or boring the other person.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 13

I have traveled solo overseas and the states doing genealogy and love it. I set my own schedule and place where I want to go. Research where and when, connect with people who are doing my family abroad was wonderful!  I have also travelled with friends and their family and it was fun too. Both solo and with people have their perks and bumps, just remember to do your a lot of research.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 13

I like solo traveling because all of my friends are married and they prefer to go traveling with their husbands.  I like to travel solo but with a travel company.  They prepare the itinerary and make the air reservations and all I have to do is show up at the airport and go.  It is a lot less hassle and I don't have to think about anything.  I meet many people that are also traveling solo on these trips and we hook up and go together.  It is a lot of fun and you really aren't alone, you are with a group.  The travel company I like to use is Grand Circle Travel.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 13

I mainly enjoy travelling solo because it reduces the conflicts about where and when to go.  There are no compromises that have to be made.  I am free to come and go as I please.  Can stay in one museum or gallery as long as I may want.  Can walk and tour as far as I wish.  Can eat when and what I like at any given time.  In essence, I enjoy the freedom solo travel provides.

However, there are some good points about shared travel.  The one main thing is simply having the company of another person as well as having someone to enjoy the experience with; the building of lasting memories that we can share together years down the line.  Also, there is the safety factor as well.  Sometimes the world can be a dangerous place.  So as they say, "There's safety in numbers."

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views