How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: Unintelligibility of Expedia customer support staff for travel

[ Edited ]
Message 1 of 3 (145 Views)

"...Little known secret, booking directly on the hotel web site, or better yet, calling the Property, not only saves you money (e.g, online sites charge them percentage {for example, 5%}, so they pad rate to cover that, then discount if you have one) but you have direct contact with them....... you pay less.".

I'm with you. From my experience, in the 'early days', there were some good discounts available on any number of travel sites. But now, I'm not seeing those discounts and I too, contact the property directly. This applies to all aspects of travel: rental cars, plane tickets.

I used to use Priceline. But they give me the same price as booking directly with the airline (in my experience, anyway). Rental car companies, again, in my experience, will match online rates from other sites.

I still check travel sites as once in a while there is some deal that can be had. I found a 30% discount on a room in Canada while booking a summer trip last this winter.

To get back to original poster, I never have spoken to a customer rep for any travel site. Isn't the idea of going online to not have to deal with a customer rep? 

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Regular Social Butterfly

Re: Unintelligibility of Expedia customer support staff for travel

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 3 (183 Views)

I have also experienced the same frustration, until I became employed by a service provider to hospitality providers. Little known secret, booking directly on the hotel web site, or better yet, calling the Property, not only saves you money (e.g, online sites charge them percentage {for example, 5%}, so they pad rate to cover that, then discount if you have one) but you have direct contact with them (e.g., name of the person who booked your room; "true" availability) and "non-commissioned" rate, you pay less.

Some last minute bookings can be less expensive, based on how much the booking site is willing to let their allottment go for (with most Properties they have allottment of rooms, so if Exp have 5 rooms allotted but only 4 rooms occupied, the have 1 more they can move for cheap, as long as they pay the hotel agreed amount for occupied rooms.

After 2 "reservations" not found upon arrival (including one for AARP meetup in NOLA about 100 years ago (not really; actually 2012) using their online booking), I no longer use the popular "booking" sites.

I'm not saying the Exp, Book..., etc aren't useful, but my experience has been opposite that advertising.

jmho

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Info Seeker

Unintelligibility of Expedia customer support staff for travel

Message 3 of 3 (196 Views)

Is anyone else struggling with trying to understand the heavily accented and garbled English of the Expedia travel agents on the phone? They seem to be in the PI and their English is practically incomprehensible. I just gave up and made my own reservations elsewhere. Anyone else struggle with this?