There's always more to discover with an AARP membership! Check out your member benefits.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Trains as vacations in themselves

Message 1 of 10

My wife and I used Amtrak from Kirkwood to Kansas City, MO.  We went business class.  This is more comfortable than coach.  While it  takes about 5 hours (compared to 4 hours by car), it is much more conducive to conversation and relaxing for all since no one needs to drive.

We also went on the Rocky Mountaineer in Canada.  I don't have adequate words to describe how fantastic that trip was.  Hospitality of personnel was great.  Food under Gold Leaf was first class.  The hotel accomodations in some areas were not as good under Gold Leaf.  The lower level of service for hotels was just as good or better.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10

I Love the train and I think all of the conductors are very nice . If you want peace and quiet you can move to the Quiet train ; I like that . The ride is also very relaxing .

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10

I have traveled by train several times, mostly from Portland, OR to Havre, MT and back but up and down the Pacific coast also.

Riding the train gives you a different view from driving. Train travel is much more relaxing than flying in my opinion. You can get up, move around, get off at a stop, a slower pace.

I used to bring cheese, bread, sausage, candy and nuts to eat on the train. My son traveled with me as a young child on the train and it gave him happy memories. My son now works for a railroad as a conductor now that he's an adult.

I would like to ride again soon but have other irons in the fire at the moment. It's a good way to see the country.

Tony Mueller
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10

Have been across Canada twice by train.  Much like what US trains were like fifty years ago!   Equipment old but well maintained.   Food and ambience great.  Only problem is abysmal timekeeping.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

I don't travel by train in this country. The trains, as a generalization, are not well maintained and don't have the greatest service. They're also slow.

Overseas, the trains are largely modern, fast, clean, on time, and run all over so one can get to virtually anywhere.  There are some exceptions, but train travel across most of Europe is very well established, and used. Train travel in the US is more of a 'novelty'.  

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

I grew up travelling on the train with my parents mostly from Chicago to what was then called Grand Central Station in NYC which is now called Grand Central Terminal because all railroad lines terminate at 42nd Street.  We used to get a drawingroom and I always loved going back to the observation car which was the last car on the train.  I still love train travel and have taken the California Zephur several times from Sacramento to Chicago and back and get a bedroom which has a really small bathroom with a shower and toilet and a sink in the room.  It's so much fun to eat in the diningcar where you meet all kinds of people to get acquainted with.  For me, taking the train is as much a part of the trip as the destination.

Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

One thing I love about the Sightseer lounge car on west coast trains is the wrap-over windows. I call those the dome car since that is what they remind me of.  Many of us could remember when steam was the rule on many routes.  In 1999, I rode from St. Louis, MO to Dallas, TX and I spent most of the trip in the dome.  While approaching Little Rock, I was having my coffee and I was enjoying my eggs as the train pulled into the Little Rock station.  Only time I was really in my compartment was when I had to brush my teeth after my breakfast.  And I had lunch in the dome.  I was enterting the state of Texas at that time.

Seniors are just antique people rich with history.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

I LOVE train travel. It reminds me of my childhood, traveling with my Mom. Back then we slept in sleeper cars as seen in "Some Like It Hot". One time when catching a very late train, my Dad was handed a lantern and was instructed in how to wave it when he saw the lights of the  "next Eastbound train". He waved the lantern and as the train slowed he thought he had stopped the wrong train because it was made up of many U. S. Mail cars. Finally, the last car was a passenger car. We had planned to eat on the train, but since there was no dining car we were pretty hungry when we arrived in N.Y.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10

You said it!

I’d love to go on the cross Canada train excursions. They’re awesome, especially in Alberta and BC.

There are a lot of train travel videos on YouTube...all free and many are professional.

Edit to Add:   Here is one that is short and well-produced, Vancouver to Banff, and is entertaining/interesting:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjrsOTy6RSs

Another Edit:  haha, of course, everyone should be leery of clicking on random links posted by random unknown strangers as you never know what sort of trouble you might get into! (spam, viruses, that thing that encrypts your computer unless you pay a $$ ransom, spyware, who knows!)  So anyway, please be careful out there, have your Windows Defender, etc, up and running, run your MalwareBytes on occasion, wear your golashes, etc, and Be Careful.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Trains as vacations in themselves

Message 10 of 10

The days of when the railroad was THE way to travel are almost all gone.  But sometimes the trains themselves can be vacations too in a way since they can be great tour guides on some routes.  At least Amtrak at least at one time would have a narrator ride the train telling you about the different climate the train is going thru and that would be the time to get your camera out.  The west coast trains will even have plug outlets for your battery chargers.  On the California Zephyr, at one time, they say that there are bears and deer that likes to come close to the tracks. The only thing I don't like about the names Amtrak has now called some of their bedrooms on the west coast trains.  The regular bedroom is what they used to call the Deluxe bedroom.  It has a private shower and the shower looks almost like an old telephone reciever.  

Seniors are just antique people rich with history.
Kudos
Views
Replies