Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Solo cruising

Message 1 of 6

Hello pattybcool,

I have a friend Patty who I met here in metro-Atlanta several years ago, and who now lives on Amelia Island, just south of the GA-FL border. 

I am 67, retired several years ago, still do some ocassional consulting work. I was widowed early in 2007. I want to keep traveling as long as I am able, need to catch up to all the places my older sisters have been. One sister (middle kid) has been traveling 20 years or more with her sister-in-law, all over the world.

I returned just a little over a month ago from an off-season trip to Ireland. I will be leaving in another month on a trip to Egypt. I have wanted to see the pyramids since I was a child.

I will be accompanying my daughter and her boyfriend of several years. They both graduated college in 2017 and have been working about 2-1/2 years. Their goal was to live frugally, save as much money as they could, and travel around the world for a year, or as long as their money will last. 

So I am accompanying them on the first leg of their travels. They have exceeded their savings goal, so they may be traveling for more than a year. Good for them, I say! They will have those memories all of their lives. I'm an old man and won't have nearly so long to enjoy my memories and photographs. (I have 3 digital picture frames with motion sensors, so my pictures start scrolling whenever I walk into the kitchen or living room.)

I have done some solo travel, but never a solo cruise. I have been on only two cruises in my life, in 2011 I think(?) and again in 2013, both times with my daughter. When I had both my daughter and her older brother at home, I still cooked Thanksgiving dinner.

When her brother graduated Georgia Tech and got a job in Texas, she suggested we take a cruise at Thanksgiving, rather than cooking a big meal for just two of us. We both enjoyed that experience and when she graduated high school in 2013 she asked to take her best friend along on another cruise.

But I have had no experience to find out what the single supplement is on a cruise. The single supplement was waived on my off-season Ireland trip. I had an email from Globus that said "single supplement waivers available, call for availability" so I called and they had waivers. So I bought myself a birthday present, left Atlanta January 17th and arrived in Dublin on the 18th, my birthday.

It was not awkward to share a cabin on a cruise ship with my daughter twice, and with her female peer the second time. So I don't see why two older people of different gender couldn't share a cabin without it being scandalous. Are you interested only in cruise trips, or other travel destinations as well? Please reply if you would like to correspond about prospects for future travel. Regards, David

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6

I'm a 77 year old male retired psych nurse who shares your resentment of the dual occupancy price gap.  Scabble is by far my favorite board game and my interest is in travel, not romance.  My name is Dave Hicks and I live in Galveston, TX.  email hhck6@sbcglobal.net

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

Yes would love train ride or cruise

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

I am recently widowed.  68 and looking for a travel partner.  Doesn’t matter if it’s car, train, plane, or boat.  I do have access to two timeshares that reduce cost.

i have lived abroad and would go again, but would like to see more of the Midwest or perhaps train across Canada.  Looking to travel back to Yellowstone next spring, 2019.  R u interested.  I am political and a Christian.  Can keep my politics to myself.  I enjoy. A glass of wine but do not smoke.  Any interest in traveling naytime in the near future.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6
Capt Ron captmatey@gmail.com
Travel by cruise or by motorhome
Let me know what you are looking for
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views
Replies

Solo cruising

Message 6 of 6

I am a retired nurse, widowed.. Love cruising,  resent having to pay twice the price because I travel solo/.

I am amiable, good at board games, been told that I'm good company. Interested in finding a travel buddy, male or female. E-mail me if you're serious

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.