Have questions about your Social Security benefits? The AARP Social Security Resource Center can help.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Pacific Northwest 6 nights 7 days

Message 1 of 9

On your way from Seattle to Vancouver, take some time to explore LaConner. It's a very small town, but rich with old homes, art, two museums, darling shops, great food and delightful people.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 9

Start your Sunday at Pike Place Market! Get some history with your coffee at Starbucks Restaurant #1 and see where it all began.... then walk the market and find the doughnut hole cart! Watch the flying fish at the fish market, the guys throwing the fresh seafood are remarkable and put on quite a show! Try a Seattle Dog if you can find the outlet that sells them I don’t quite remember..... so much to see and do at the market and the nearby pier you could easily lose yourself for the entire day! Enjoy!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 9
Born and raised in Seattle, went to school at WSU, got a internship in the SE , and turned it into a career.
Folks still in PNW , so need to drive home and explore along the way in the spring time.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 9

I know most people can't spend the time reading a long post, but I will make bullet points of our love for the Northwest.

* Wife and I attended College in Portland, Ore and graduated and married there

* We had two of our six children in Portland, Ore.

* My wife was raised in Walla Walla Washington, but had four sisters live in the NW: One in Portland, one in Salem, one in Federal Way WA., one in Vancouver.

* I worked as a Minister of Music in Portland, Ore for five years

* My youngest daughter had the privilege of living in Portland, Ore. for two years.

* Visiting Recommendations: Mt. Hood, Multnomah Falls, Mt. Rainer Lodge, Squim National Park, WA.,  Rose & Japanese Gardens in Portland, The Portland Zoo, Portland, Restaurants; Reinlander Restaurant, Roses Restaurants, Anytime there's a Symphony concert, attend 1st Methodest (Beautiful music), Oyster bar restaurant, Spaghetti Factory on the wharf. If you love organ music visit Lewis and Clark College for a unique experience in organ music and unique organ in Portland, Ore. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 9

Snoqualmie Falls...GO!!!

And, if you can stay, the Salish Lodge, Spa, and Restaurant are a wonderful, relaxing treat right by the falls. Especially in spring when the rhododendrons are in bloom!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Pacific Northwest 6 nights 7 days -- from a near native

Message 6 of 9

I lived in Seattle for nearly 3 decades; my daughter and brother still live there. I got asked your question so often I wrote a blog posting about it. I hope it helps!
https://cyranowriter.wordpress.com/2016/02/22/seattle-tourist-tips-revolutionary-email-prose/

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 9

My wife & I drove partway down the coast of Oregon in the summer & had a great time. However, we did not realize how darn cold it can get & froze at some of the lighthouuses we visited high up on the coast. It was beaufiful. We also went to Astoria, Oregon on the Columbia River & stayed at a B&B. It was another great place to visit & we drove along the Columbia River for several days..

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 9

I can not advise about the timing between areas of interest, except for you to expect those times to be at least twice what you calculate, especially on the Olympic Peninsula.

However, my advice to you is that you  absolutely must include the Hoh Rain Forest in your itinerary. There is nothing like this anywhere else on the Continent.  There are many other breathtaking sights here in Washington, but you would have to be here for months to see them all.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Pacific Northwest 6 nights 7 days

Message 9 of 9

I'm trying to jam in as much as I can during the above timeframe (10 AM Sat June 15 until midnight Friday June 21). Flying into Seattle Sat morning for a continuing education class on Monday morning. Then, driving to Vancouver for 2 nights (Mon & Tues). Ferry over to Vancouver Island for one night in Victoria on Weds. Last night (Thurs), I'd like to stay in either Port Angeles or Port Townsend but open to suggestions.  Because I want to see the Olympic Mts., and other points of interest on Vancouver Island and surrounding area before having to drive back to the Seattle airport for arrival no later than 10 PM  or so on that Friday night.  I prefer to drive everywhere..just for the flexibility to do what I want whenever I want (and maybe sing loudly along the way), but again am open to suggestions.

My first concern is if I'm allowing myself enough time to get to one place from the last and still have time to explore neighborhoods, take in gardens, scenery and/or museums depending on weather.  The things I'm most interested in are nature, old homes, architecture, interesting areas with art, unique independent shops and good "neighborhood" type restaurants.  I'd love to see at least one glacier, but it doesn't look like I would have time to go over to Cascades Nat'l Park on my way from Seattle to Vancouver.  Other places along my itinerary to see glaciers ..Olympic NP)?

Some things I don't really need to see are Native American and Canadian indigenous artifacts, and smaller mountain ranges, as I have those where I live (Asheville, NC..near Smoky Mountains and Cherokee, Blue Ridge Parkway). I'm not the "cowboy/pioneer/canneries" type, so old towns with that theme are not really me.  I do, however, love country roads rather than interstates when/if time permits and the drive is scenic.  I can take walks, but not strenuous hiking.  Advice on areas to see magnificent vistas (ocean, lake, mountains, bucolic valleys or huge standing forest conifers) would be appreciated.

With all this said, I'd love to get any advice you have, directions, and any other information you might want to share with me.  Every tidbit adds value to my plans.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Kudos
Views
Replies