Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Need Advice for solo travel

Message 1 of 3

It can be scarey out there & now is a bad time to go anywhere because of the virus. But like you I would not go witout my dog.  There are really only 2 things you can do- jump in with both feet-do you belong to AAA?  If so they can map out a trip like you prefer.  I was going to suggest another woman go with you but looks like there is not room.  Maybe this message is already too late to do you any good.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Need Advice for solo travel

Message 2 of 3

Hi, in your shoes i'd take my car to the mechanic and have them look it over first. Make sure everything is ok. Then stay on major highways as much as possible. 

then map out the campgrounds you want to stay at and read reviews online. 

here are some other tips for solo travel. 
https://solotravelerworld.com/category/how-to-travel-alone/solo-female-travel/#3

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views
Replies

Need Advice for solo travel

Message 3 of 3

I am a middle aged widower. I am also a recluse. I have always been interveted, but after my husband passed it pretty much crossed me over the line into comfortabe reclusion. I honestly do not mind being alone. I am also not an adventours person, which is also fine by me. Until now. I need to go on a road trip with only myself and two small dogs and I'll also need to sleep in m ytruck until I get to where I need to be which would take about 5-7 days to reach. I am scared of my GPS taking me into areas not so safe. I am a small woman and after my husband passed I look far older than my actual age, I feel this makes me a bigger target. I guess my question is this, how do I know how to avoid driving in wrong areas, I mean, someone told me to map it out before I leave, but really, how does that confirm I'll not drive into a wrong area? I also don't want to be stuck on long back roads. I have never done anything like this in my life and I will confess, I'm a chicken. But my father and sister needs help and I'm the only one availble to help. I can't fly because one of my dogs is ill and he cannot fly. Can't take a train because animals are not allowed. So I must drive. I am currently having my truck outfitted for nomad living since I will need to sleep in campgrounds going and returning. Any advice would be very apprecited. 

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.