Contributor

Need Advice for solo travel

I am a middle aged widower. I am also a recluse. I have always been interveted, but after my husband passed it pretty much crossed me over the line into comfortabe reclusion. I honestly do not mind being alone. I am also not an adventours person, which is also fine by me. Until now. I need to go on a road trip with only myself and two small dogs and I'll also need to sleep in m ytruck until I get to where I need to be which would take about 5-7 days to reach. I am scared of my GPS taking me into areas not so safe. I am a small woman and after my husband passed I look far older than my actual age, I feel this makes me a bigger target. I guess my question is this, how do I know how to avoid driving in wrong areas, I mean, someone told me to map it out before I leave, but really, how does that confirm I'll not drive into a wrong area? I also don't want to be stuck on long back roads. I have never done anything like this in my life and I will confess, I'm a chicken. But my father and sister needs help and I'm the only one availble to help. I can't fly because one of my dogs is ill and he cannot fly. Can't take a train because animals are not allowed. So I must drive. I am currently having my truck outfitted for nomad living since I will need to sleep in campgrounds going and returning. Any advice would be very apprecited. 

Conversationalist

My advice for a woman traveling alone...as I have many times for business?

1.  Map out your trip using Mapquest, and print copies of your trip.  Also, buy a road Atlas.  

2.  Stop at Visitor Centers.  They can be an absolute gold mine for information regarding road advice, where to stay, restaurants, etc.

3.  Don't get out at a rest stop, to take a photo, or to take a hike unless someone else is around...preferably a family.  

4.  Make overnight accommodations as far in advance as you think you will drive in a day.  I wouldn't suggest to someone to sleep in their vehicle.  You need to get a good night's sleep and wake up refreshed, especially on long trips.  LaQuinta Inns & Hotels are very dog friendly.  

5.  Park near a door.  Make sure you lock your vehicle overnight.  ALWAYS use both locks on your hotel door as soon as you are in for the night.  Front desks are great for "keeping track" of their female guests, and will watch out for you if you need them.

6.  Don't be paranoid...but be observant of your surroundings wherever you go.  

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Cathy, since you wrote back in Feb., I'm imagining you took the trip by now. Tell us how you made out.

Contributor

I also did a road trip by myself across country  from NY to NV I really enjoyed the alone time as I could stop any time and do photos etc   I also slept in my car but in safe areas well lighted not in rest stops too much chance for trouble -I did stay in a one hotel just to rest up and a good shower with my small dog but you are limited to where you can stay traveling with a dog-  I also have done trips where I rented an AirBNB who  allowed dogs and not hotels  I find them best    I also found doing road trips I use Google for driving as I find Waze sometimes goes more back roads as well as I have Garmin GPS device as a backup but like Google maps with my cell phone directions are best  -  they have come a long way  but when no service Garmin is best- plan your road ways out before you go you have options

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

It can be scarey out there & now is a bad time to go anywhere because of the virus. But like you I would not go witout my dog.  There are really only 2 things you can do- jump in with both feet-do you belong to AAA?  If so they can map out a trip like you prefer.  I was going to suggest another woman go with you but looks like there is not room.  Maybe this message is already too late to do you any good.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Hi, in your shoes i'd take my car to the mechanic and have them look it over first. Make sure everything is ok. Then stay on major highways as much as possible. 

then map out the campgrounds you want to stay at and read reviews online. 

here are some other tips for solo travel. 
https://solotravelerworld.com/category/how-to-travel-alone/solo-female-travel/#3

0 Kudos