Highlighted
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you lure Greyhound to serve everybody including middle-class law abiding citizens

Message 1 of 5

I had no idea that Greyhound's target market was the poor and "ghetto residents". I checked out their site recently (after having seen your first post). They did mention their new buses. Some of them seemed pretty "posh" ... in fact, there are some bus lines out East that run from Boston to Washington, D.C. that have posh "Executive" buses with airplane type seats (First Class), wifi, etc. More convenient than driving yourself or flying, and cheaper than flying. Even the Amtrak express train that runs the same route is very nice (the Acela, I think it is).

I think the common thread for these East coast facilities are the high demand on these routes. ...which translates into "money" ...for the company. Hence my original comment "follow the money". It's when there is little or no demand for a route that the service will decline. We can't "force" a private company to handle a route at a loss...that's unsustainable. (On the other hand, a public service such as the TVA, the national mail system, etc, can be partially subsidized by government.)

Some of my wife's family were affected by Greyhound closing routes in western Canada. So we have some first hand knowledge of the situation.

Good luck

@PatrickR720159 wrote:

Some people think that Greyhound only cares about people that are poor and mostly if they are those who live in the ghetto areas of our cities.  And they know their job is to transport people that are holding tickets no matter where they come from.  What i would love to do is to lure them like a high-pressure car salesman into making routes that serves us good people.  Now if any of you have a good idea on how to lure Greyhound into listening to us, please let us know.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you lure Greyhound to serve everybody including middle-class law abiding citizens

Message 2 of 5

Oh I see. Yes Greyhound and Amtrak are subsidized.  For the federal level, sadly my congresswoman Ann Wagner has chosen to lie about transportation funding.  And she knows that is part of her job.  I can get my state represenative to fund Greyhound to see if they can make some of these Missouri routes.  Cost is probably why Greyhound went and bought Freightlienrs rather than the traditional MCI buses due to cost restrictions.  Now with the Democrats in control of I think the house, I could write to one congressman who represents North St. Louis County to see if he could make a bill that would help increase a special tax increase for Greyhound.  

Seniors are just antique people rich with history.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

"....What i would love to do is to lure them like a high-pressure car salesman into making routes that serves us good people....".

And what routes would that be? Bus companies create routes that they believe will be profitable. You can't 'serve' the public without making a profit. Greyhound, over the years, has started and ended various routes that didn't have enough ridership. There was a lot of press, a year ago, about Greyhound in Canada cutting a huge area of service. It was simply losing too much money.

And you do realize (?), that Greyhound is subsidized. It's like trains. There is no passenger train in the entire U.S. that is profitable. Every line across the nation is subsidized at local, state, or federal levels.Greyhound is subsidized by the feds, largely, in the plains states.

If you want more routes, you need to ask for your taxes to increase to pay for subsidies from the feds for more bus routes.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

Money talks.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

How do you lure Greyhound to serve everybody including middle-class law abiding citizens

Message 5 of 5

Some people think that Greyhound only cares about people that are poor and mostly if they are those who live in the ghetto areas of our cities.  And they know their job is to transport people that are holding tickets no matter where they come from.  What i would love to do is to lure them like a high-pressure car salesman into making routes that serves us good people.  Now if any of you have a good idea on how to lure Greyhound into listening to us, please let us know.  

Seniors are just antique people rich with history.
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.