Driving cross country to Ca alone

I will be driving north to Ca from NJ as a single woman alone.....Has anyone done this trip?....Does anyone have suggestions?

I'm a driver B.....and find driving very therapeutic.......Have done Fl numerous times....This will be my 1st cross country alone....hoping to meet up with people along the way......

fran

0 Kudos
Contributor

Do you know when you want to leave?  Will you be doing a round trip or staying in CA for awhile?  What kind of vehicle do you have?  What kind of gas mileage does it get?  Do you have particular places that you want to stay overnight?  I have lots of questions but not a lot of answers at this point except to say that I wouldn't drive my car and might  be interested in exploring sharing renting

an Escape Camper, but I think you have to reserve it pretty soon to get one for any time this summer or fall. 

0 Kudos

In Response to RE: Driving cross country to Ca alone by reontheroad

That sounds like a great trip!  I would love to do that someday but I'm not sure I'd have the nerve to take off on my own.  I still have a problem just going into a restaurant by myself!  After being married 42 years becoming a widow is a huge adjustment to make.  I'm still working full time but maybe by the time I retire I'll take off to parts unknown by myself! 

0 Kudos

In Response to RE: Driving cross country to Ca alone by Niobe

Thanks, the website didn't indicate that or maybe I missed it!

Have a great day,

Donna M

0 Kudos

Hi  I signed up to follow your blog.  Almost every year until I was 17, our family drove from St Louis to Seattle, and I am quite familiar with the routes you plan to take.  Since I can't be with you in your Jeep, I will follow you in spirit.  I'm very glad you have others going with you, especially across the desert, and hope you get more going across the plains.   

0 Kudos

In Response to RE: Driving cross country to Ca alone by gramdjm

You need to create an account with blogger.com, then "add" reontheroad's address exactly as she has given it to you.

0 Kudos

Hi,

I tried going to your blog: myhomeontheroad.blogspot.com but was not able to find it.  The first time I tried I got a website that was in French!  Anyway I think it was French.  Is it inactive or is there a secret I don't know about?

Thanks,

Donna M

0 Kudos
Contributor

Thanks for all the hints and suggestions everyone.  Did I mention I am looking for anyone wanting to ride shotgun and navigate on portions of the route?  Shared expenses and shared experiences.  Have already gotten 2 lined up SF to SEA and CO to AZ but the rest of the trip is open!

Hope to wheel's up 8/7 and will be blogging at http://www.myhomeontheroam.blogspot.com.  So even if you can't come along physically, hopefully you can be part of the adventure by reading and seeing the photos I post daily.

0 Kudos

When you have a tentative route in mind, you might check out http://roadfood.com  It's a great resource for interesting places to eat and might give you some further ideas about what route to take.

0 Kudos

In Response to RE: Driving cross country to Ca alone by chazbo1948

This is a little off topic, but if you live in St Pete you might want to become part of the growing group in "Florida: Where you live."  I live in St Pete, and would love to see you join our group, especially since you are a very interesting person.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I would say  everyone that has posted has had good suggestions.  Use common sense and you'll be ok.  I like staying overnight in small towns.  It's easier to tell if you're not in a good area.

I've driven all across this great land from here in St. Pete, Florida to Fairbanks, Alaska and all points in between with the exception of Arizona and northern New England and eastern Canada.  The western states are spectacular for scenery.  Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, So. Dakota, Wyoming, Montana,California and Idaho.  Drive through them if you can.  Many state parks and National Recreation Areas are just as awesome as the National Parks only on a smaller scale.  Happy trails to you! 

alaskadude1948
0 Kudos

Sounds wonderful. I always take the back roads and have seen some awesome sights and so enjoyed the small towns with personality. One misses so much on the interstates.  Enjoy your trip...wish I was going hehehe. Oh and I take pictures but I'm not a great photographer 🙂

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi Larry - I see that you are a photographer.  I am, as well, plus a free-lance writer.  My map is posted on my blog, http://www.myhomeontheroad.blogspot.com.  If you go back to where I started it, you will see that it began when I decided to hit the road in a 29' RV - never having selpt, driven or lived in a travel trailer before!  I putlled my little Jeep along behind and criss-crossed the US 3 times in a year and a half and loved every single minute of it. 

ReAnn

0 Kudos

Hi

I'd love to see your map and what all those back roads are. The trip sound very interesting to me, with no interstates.

Larry

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have laid out the route for my 'little summer road trip' which will be 10,000 RT from Wilmington, NC all-around-the-edges of the US, edging into the Canada at the top of the circle.  I am giving myself this trip to myself as my '65th birthday present.'  I criss-crossed the country 3 times in the year and half that I had my 29' RV and loved every minute of it.  When the housing crunch arrived and I lot my renter, it was tnecessary to sell the Winnie, but not my urge to 'see what lies around the next bend in the road.'  This summer I will be driving my 2001 'topless' Jeep Wrangler, blogging, writing some free-lance articles for publications I've contacted and visiting all those friends and family members I haven't seen in a while.  No Interstates, just the small highways and byways that go through the wonderful little towns that make up this great country.  Wheel's up on August 7th - can't wait.

0 Kudos

In Response to RE: Driving cross country to Ca alone by calmarsh

It sounds like you had a good trip.  Rest areas are my friend also!  Please don't take offense at this but I live in northern California & your comments about some freeways having 6 lanes made me laugh!  I've lived in this area for over 40 years but some of the bay area (San Francisco & Oakland) are crazy with traffic.  You really have to watch the traffic & the road signs.  My area is more rural so not much of a problem plus I am use to it.    Thanks for sharing how the trip went for you.

Donna M

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi - I just finished a drive from Southport,NC to Seattle WA.  My first suggestion is to get a triptik from Triple A.  Then check out their routing.  If they send you through Chicago try to figure out a way to avoid the immediate areas - Chicago traffic is nasty.

Before I left I froze lots of water bottles and packed 3 coolers.  I'm a member of Choice Privileges and stay mostly at their hotels.  They often have good deals to help you get free nights.  Most of their hotels have rooms with refrigerator/microwave - which is great for keeping your travel food and cooking dinners in your room.

I find that stopping often is the trick - rest areas are your friend - take a short walk and stretch.  (But travel only in daylight - I don't trust rest areas at night.)

Listen to your body and stop early if you're tired.  Safety first.

The middle of the country can be boring - the northern routes are more interesting.  Driviing in California is stressful - some highways have 6 lanes!!

Have fun.

0 Kudos

In Response to Driving cross country to Ca alone by starcook

Driving alone is a good experience. I drove from Coumbus, Ohio to Missoula, Montana in 1969. My wife was with me but she did not know driving. GPS were not available & we depended on the maps. Except some problem near Chicago, Illinois we had a very smooth journey. We saw the Grand Canyon Park etc on the way. We stopped at small towns to take rest and came accross very helpful people from many countries. I wish I could get the chance to drive again to the west coast. People in the west USA are very helpful & friendly as compared to those on the east coast of USA.  I hope you will enjoy your trip. I wonder whther you want me to help in any way.  

0 Kudos

I wish I could make the drive, and I'm happy for you.  I can't drive for too long before I start to lose concentration.  I know not everyone is like me, but I've found it helps to stop in a safe place every 2 - 4 hours and get out and stretch.  Take a little walk, not far.  Have a cooler within easy reach with cool drinks, and make sure you do drink while you are driving if you go for long stretches.  Also have a few pieces of fruit in the cooler for your "breaks" to give you energy.  And don't listen to classical music 🙂

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

In Response to RE: Driving cross country to Ca alone by GrannyAnna

Bravo!  You're my heroine!  I have seriously thought about doing this...(opposite direction) but haven't actually put a plan into place.  Thanks for giving us a glimpse into your experience!

Happy Trails!

Mimi

“The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
War With Honour, 1940 ~ A.A. Milne
0 Kudos

Have fun!  Take time to enjoy the country.  I would love to do this but not alone as you miss so much when you are driving & it is more fun to share with someone.  I've done lots of driving alone don't mind it at all but cross country by myself is not real appealing.  Let us know how it goes.

Take care,

Donna M

0 Kudos