Hundreds of Member Benefits. One Convenient Place to Explore Them. Check it Out!

Gold Conversationalist

Re: Casual bicycle tourist looking for ideas on finding travel companions

Message 1 of 14

Lou,

Congrats on the retirement. I did some amazing bike rides in my first year. I spent 2 weeks in Hungary. I cycled 10 days from Vienna to Budapest via Lake Balaton. Amazing, beautiful, and so reasonable to cycle Hungary. This year I am off to the Czech Republic for a week of cycling. Here is that tour: http://www.czech-bike-tours.com/tours/prague-vienna-odyssey

We are pretty cllose. I am in Mount Vernon. I am cycling the Ohio to Erie Trail this fall. I love the GAP. We should talk more. 

Tom

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 14

Hello I too am 1 year retired looking to bike tour Europe.  Want to travel Europe summer early fall maybe holland?  Have done great allegheny passage and C&O to D.C. would like to cycle US late spring. Lou Dayton Ohio 

Gold Conversationalist

Message 3 of 14

I have been a Meetup user and organizer for the past 9 years. It is a super tool. I have met many cycling and other friends via the app and meetups. Unfortunately, bicycle touring is a smaller group of cyclists. A few of my cycling friends from Meetup are interested. The problem I mostly face are twofold: most friends are not retired with not enough free time to tour and most do not have the funds to tour. Thanks for your response.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 14

Try the app Meetup. I joined a group upon my arrival in the Boston area; very friendly people and outings are rated according to strength, speed, and length. Meetup also has been recognized as one of the best social app by Apple. 

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 14

St Petersburg Florida is a great cycling area.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 14

Best idea yet! Facebook! Perfect. You're such a rockstar. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Gold Conversationalist

Message 7 of 14
I setup a private Facebook group, Tom's Cycling Tours, and invited my cycling friends. I tossed some ideas out for simple overnight tours. The response was bigger than I expected, almost 50 people joined. There has been good conversation. I just laid out that I would like to plan some friends cycling weekends. Some good ideas came up, the Niagara Falls tour is one. It's simple to easy to get to for most of my friends. This past summer I invited folks to my new home/farm in the country for a weekend of camping and cycling. 20 people came. Many want a repeat which I will do. I am seeing this takes time but I have a good start. The reality I see is that European travel is not cheap and takes time. As more of my friends retire or move to part-time work, they will most likely join me. Thanks. Tom
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 14

@BearonaBicycle  Maybe plan a shortish tour to ease them into it? Or howabout getting them out to a rally? Is there one in your area in the winter (seems a longshot). That might be a way to get them fully excited about being around a bunch of other cyclists for a few days. Smiley Happy  

You'll get there. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Gold Conversationalist

Message 9 of 14
Giving a lot of thought to your post. I need to build this community. I haves good start. I just need to broaden to those interested in more serious longer touring. I also need to encourage my current cycling pals to put themselves out there and tour. I already volunteered to lead my club on two 4 day long weekend tours to the Niagara region and Pennsylvania. Hopefully that incents folk to tour more.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 10 of 14

Not sure why my second post did not post? Anyway, those are great suggestions. I guess it's a case of keep on pushing. I am a pretty outgoing person and make friends easily. I have a super group of cycling friends. As I mentioned, unfortunately, they are not able to travel as much as I can. I actually found a super blog post that also offer good tips: http://milestonerides.com/2014/12/16/10-ways-find-bicycle-touring-companions/ .

Right now I am leaning on just joining another European group tour and hoping to find community. I had hoped that from my first one but the group was a set of close friends who were just trying a bike tour and most likely will not do another one. Super nice people.

Thanks for your response. Now I will try to post that "lost" entry.