Refresh your driving skills and you could save on your auto insurance! Sign up for the AARP Smart Driver course.

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Casual bicycle tourist looking for ideas on finding travel companions

Message 1 of 19

@LouisC53 -- That sounds like an excellent trip. I will have to put that on a possibility list. I also looked at that company. I have done two European tours so far, both with local bicycle tourist companies. Both have turned out extremely well. I find that the local guides are very knowledgeable about the region and give an excellent level of service. They also tend to be a little more economical. The Hungarian and Czech Republic companies that I have cycled with are what I consider to be extremely outstanding organizations. I am sure Experience Plus delivers a hell of a good tour. Tom

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 19

I love the bike and barge concept. Economical and adventures. I would like to get your email and share adventure ideas. I know what you mean about travel companions. Sometimes the solo supplement sounds like a bargain versus travel partner. Look forward to hearing from you. J

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 19

Just returned from 8 day 250 mile Venice to Florence with experienceplus tour group. 1st time I’ve done this and will do again everything went perfect food, bikes, tour guides. Travelling as single I met so many great people. Looking at 2019 bike barge along the Seine river

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 19

I am currently on an 8-day van supported bicycle tour of the Czech Republic through southern Bohemia and the Wachau Valley of Austria. Last fall I did a similar bike tour from Vienna to Budapest through the Hungarian Countryside. Both were van supported and also quite reasonable. I have met many nice travel companions and found that traveling alone works very well. I am definitely looking into the bike and barge tours. I have found some in the Netherlands that look nice I have also found some from Belgium to Paris that look nice I'm surprised how reasonable the cost is. Thanks for your response. Tom

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 19

I was in Holland and did a bike and barge tour, think company was Van Gogh, very reasonable with down to earth fellow travelers, this is not an upscale river cruise (although some of the companies that are, will lend bicycles to their passengers when they stop at destinations)  google that, there are many, many bike tours all over the world, even in less developed countries in Asia, lots in Europe and North America, but not sure in Africa or South America, but in many cases they are more expensive  than bus ones as they have a van following for tired passengers and stay in upscale inns, there is  one for only women cyclists, google it.  Bike and barge tour has no followup van but you can just stay on the boat which I did a couple of times. Also in Denmark,  this guy has made a wonderful RV for bicyclists to tow, you probably won't do that but you should look at it, it's really neat and very reasonably priced but sigh, he never answers my emails, google widepath campers. I will also private email you to contact me, maybe we can go on a bike tour together and room, thus avoiding the single supplement. 

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 19

Lou,

Congrats on the retirement. I did some amazing bike rides in my first year. I spent 2 weeks in Hungary. I cycled 10 days from Vienna to Budapest via Lake Balaton. Amazing, beautiful, and so reasonable to cycle Hungary. This year I am off to the Czech Republic for a week of cycling. Here is that tour: http://www.czech-bike-tours.com/tours/prague-vienna-odyssey

We are pretty cllose. I am in Mount Vernon. I am cycling the Ohio to Erie Trail this fall. I love the GAP. We should talk more. 

Tom

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 19

Hello I too am 1 year retired looking to bike tour Europe.  Want to travel Europe summer early fall maybe holland?  Have done great allegheny passage and C&O to D.C. would like to cycle US late spring. Lou Dayton Ohio 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 19

I have been a Meetup user and organizer for the past 9 years. It is a super tool. I have met many cycling and other friends via the app and meetups. Unfortunately, bicycle touring is a smaller group of cyclists. A few of my cycling friends from Meetup are interested. The problem I mostly face are twofold: most friends are not retired with not enough free time to tour and most do not have the funds to tour. Thanks for your response.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 19

Try the app Meetup. I joined a group upon my arrival in the Boston area; very friendly people and outings are rated according to strength, speed, and length. Meetup also has been recognized as one of the best social app by Apple. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 19

St Petersburg Florida is a great cycling area.

Kudos
Views