Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

working after early retirement

In February, 2019, I spoke with a SS agent about applying for SS benefits at age 64 (66 is my full retirement age.) I told the agent I hadn't quite decided when to start the benefit since I planned to continue working part-time.  I know I can only earn $1470 per month from my job without it affecting my benefit.

1. I assume the $1470 is gross, not net?

2. Even tho I want to start my retirement 6/1/2019, the SS website said they may start it on February 2019 since that is when I first spoke to the rep. If they try to figure my beneft starting in February, I won';t get much because I was working full time. I've already made a good amount of money over the $1470  per month.  Won;t that affect my check for several months?

3. Once I hit the 'apply' button, about how ling does it usually take to begin receiving checks?

Thanks!

Debbi

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@DebbiM890977 wrote:

In February, 2019, I spoke with a SS agent about applying for SS benefits at age 64 (66 is my full retirement age.) I told the agent I hadn't quite decided when to start the benefit since I planned to continue working part-time.  I know I can only earn $1470 per month from my job without it affecting my benefit.

1. I assume the $1470 is gross, not net?

2. Even tho I want to start my retirement 6/1/2019, the SS website said they may start it on February 2019 since that is when I first spoke to the rep. If they try to figure my beneft starting in February, I won';t get much because I was working full time. I've already made a good amount of money over the $1470  per month.  Won;t that affect my check for several months?

3. Once I hit the 'apply' button, about how ling does it usually take to begin receiving checks?

Thanks!

Debbi

It can be 3-months or less - I would have given them a start date - SS is paid 1-month in arrears.

If your birthday is February 22 - they will start your benefits for Feb. 2019 but you will not get the check deposited until the later part of March 2019.

Yes, if you keep working you are definitely gonna have to watch that working income  since you are younger than full retirement age.  If you apply for benefits at age 62 or before full retirement age, any wages you earn will reduce the amount you receive in benefits. However, these benefits are not lost. Whatever is withheld now will end up increasing your benefits once you reach full retirement age.

SSA.gov - 2019 issue - How Work Affects Your Benefit

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP