Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

ss disability

i am 60 yrs old and getting ss disability. My wife is 40 years old and not yet a citizen. We have an 18 mo old child. Can my wife and child also get ss benefits?

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

I am on SS Disability since I was 55. I took a long leave to take care of a child who had been assaulted and didn't handle it very well. My husband had 10 by-passes, my daughter was then killed and my job was a Billing Dispute Rep. My nerves were SHOT, and some how I got SS Disability, a shock to me. I wish after yrs I was working, but now I can't deal with the public or the new computers.
Live For Today, No One is Guaranteed a TOMORROW !
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@KatralicN859671wrote:

i am 60 yrs old and getting ss disability. My wife is 40 years old and not yet a citizen. We have an 18 mo old child. Can my wife and child also get ss benefits?

I know your child can and maybe your wife too.

In fact, this is usually asked when you begin to get disability - but maybe you got married and had the child after being on disability.

Here is the Social Security page which explains it - and what has to be done.

Take your marriage license, the child's birth certificate and the child's SS# and your wife will need her federal taxpayer identification number, green card, whatever she has, birth certificate or comparable, whatever to prove her status, marriage and mother of the child.

SSA - Benefits Planner - Disability / Family Benefits

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos

good to hear but now I know why SS is going broke.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@KatralicN859671wrote:

good to hear but now I know why SS is going broke.

It was actually going pretty well with most of these same rules UNTIL the numbers in the workforce started to dwindle and baby boomers started taking out instead of putting in -

Came back to add another reason - people are living much longer and as a result are drawing benefits much longer.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP