Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Young widow now an old widow

I was widowed in my 20's with 2 small children. We received survivors benefits until my youngest child turned 18. I never remarried and have worked most years since my husband's death.

I recently heard that I might have been eligible to receive widows benefits at age 60. I will turn 63 next week.

Are there benefits available to me ?

Thank you, in advance, for your advice.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@LisaP165753 

Yes, you should be able to get a Survivors Benefit.

Social Security.gov - Survivor Benefit Publication 

You cannot apply online for them so set up an appointment with your closest SS office for inquiry and filing.  You will need your own info, including your marriage certificate, as well as your late husband's info including his death certificate (see the publication)..

Social Security Office Locator 

Just a couple of points worth mentioning -

• These Survivor benefits will be based on your late husband's record.  Since he was evidently pretty young when he died, and if you file for these benefits BEFORE your full retirement age and thus as a reduced amount, the total received might not be that great.  But the SSA can figure it and give you the amount.

Social Security.gov - Benefits Planner - Survivors - IF YOU ARE THE SUVIVOR 

• If you do file for this benefit, be sure to ask them what, you should do when you reach YOUR full retirement age and have some earned benefits of your own - most likely there will be an adjustment upwards, if that be the case - meaning your own benefit is greater than the Survivor Benefit..  At that time, they will review it again.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Gold Conversationalist

Survivors are indeed eligible for reduced benefits at age 60. Or can postpone to let their monthly benefit amount increase.

So that is the good news, you really have not lost out financially for waiting 3 years. You would get a larger benefit today than 3 years ago.

Read the site the other poster directed you to.

@LisaP165753 wrote:

I was widowed in my 20's with 2 small children. We received survivors benefits until my youngest child turned 18. I never remarried and have worked most years since my husband's death.

I recently heard that I might have been eligible to receive widows benefits at age 60. I will turn 63 next week.

Are there benefits available to me ?

Thank you, in advance, for your advice.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Have you visited the Social Security website and checked there? Be sure to read the FAQs. 

Have you checked with your local Social Security office? 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP