Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

What month to start benefits at full retirement age?

Contributor

What month to start benefits at full retirement age?

I can't find the answer to this anywhere and I'm sure others have the same question:

My full retirement age occurs mid-October.  If I file to collect benefits, do I choose November to start or December?  I would hate to pick the earlier month if it is deemed 'early'.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Think this will answer your question 

AARP.org (updated 10/01/2020)  - If I claim Social Security benefits at full retirement age, when wi... 

I forget how the form ask the question but you should put down October, if it ask what month you want benefits to start.   I re-wrote this using your mid-October date from what it said in the link. ⬇️

If you reach full retirement age on Oct. 15 and start benefits then, you’ll get your first Social Security payment on the third Wednesday of November.

excerpts from the above link:  

your first payment generally will arrive in the month after you attain your full retirement age. That’s because Social Security pays benefits a month behind, so your benefit for, say, December 2020 will arrive in January 2021.

• If your birthday is between the 11th and the 20th, the payment comes on the third Wednesday of the month.      

So, if you reach full retirement age on Nov. 15 and start benefits then, you’ll get your first Social Security payment on the third Wednesday of December.  ⬅️

There's an exception if you were born on the first day of the month.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP