Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Periodic Contributor

Stimulus check living abroad via DD

I live in Spain and I get SS retirement DD in Spanish bank account since 2014. I do not file taxes. I did not fill in the Non Filers tool cause it says not to. Another reason I didn't fill it out because in the EU banks use a IBAN  NUMBER which is 24 numbers and the USA uses Routing numbers which is 9 and the tool only allows about 10. My question is... Has anyone living in the EU received their check via DD and did not file taxas?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@BrianH503300 

Can't answer your question because I am state-side but this article is on your topic and just restates what I have said earlier -

MyExpat Taxes: 03/19/2020 - Stimulus Payments for US Expats: All The Details 

It says:

Social Security recipients who are not typically required to file a tax return do not need to take any action. They will receive their 1200 dollar checks directly to their bank account by paper check, just as they would normally receive their benefits.

It is unclear at this point if the IRS will do a direct deposit into a foreign bank account, however we assume not.

. . . . IRS news from April 1, 2020 states that when you file a tax return, you should include your US bank details. The stimulus check can be deposited in your US bank account (direct deposit) or mailed to the last known address on your tax return (US or Foreign).

I am pretty sure that you are gonna get a check not a direct deposit.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP