Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Stimulus Check when you have Social Security Deposit every month

Periodic Contributor

Stimulus Check when you have Social Security Deposit every month

I did not get my stimulus check deposited in my accout as stated it would be. I went on the IRS site and the response was they had no information for direct deposit!  Well you have been depositing my SS check every month in my checking account, did you check there??? I filed a federal return and owed some money, but have not paid yet because of the extension. I filled out the form on the website for the stimlus check  along with the bank info they asked for, so that was yesterday, we will see, but not all of us  on SS are not automatically receving the check in our account as stated. You would think we would get ours first!

Susan Sheppard
Trusted Contributor

The IRS has moved the goalposts once again.

What Is the IRS Timeline for Sending Stimulus Checks?

May 12, 2020

Late May/June

"Once the May 13 deadline to add direct deposit information passes, the IRS says it will accelerate the issuance of millions of stimulus payments by paper check. The paper checks should start arriving in late May and into June, according to IRS estimates."

https://feeds-aarp-org.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/feeds.aarp.org/money/taxes/info-2020/irs-timeline-to-s...

Trusted Contributor

And don't be surprised if we eventually see a politically motivated statement from the IRS saying "you can expect your stimulus payment by November 4th."

Trusted Contributor

I don't know exactly in what way but this may be political. Designed to frustrate. The blame lies directly at the feet of the IRS and No One Else.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

CassTech71.... I'm not too sure the IRS is solely to blame for this mess. It could be that the SSA screwed up on getting some of our info to the IRS. Or it could be the SSA did get everyone's info to IRS and IRS screwed up getting our info into their system. Either way, I firmly believe that the reason we haven't received our payment yet is NOT simply because there are so many to send out that it's taking more time than the IRS thought it would take. Either the SSA, the IRS, or both, screwed up. And that's why we're not getting any answers from the SSA or the IRS. They won't admit they screwed up. Political? Nope. Just the typical governmental agency screw up.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I checked it as of last night  5-11-20

Since I’m a non filer SSI, it is the same information that it gave me in April . That they cannot give me an answer through the IRS site . I DO qualify . There is no form for me to fill out . Per the IRS tool... that is all the information that they have right now. This information has not changed from day one . All along we are told that SSI , non filers, with SSI direct  deposit ; that it will be electronically sent to the same bank account . 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I was wondering if someone can confirm this.

From the Direct Express Twitter account (Direct Express is the card that handles Government SSDI/SSI payments), multiple replies are stating that:

"The IRS doesn’t have a schedule yet for people who have payees but the payee is suppose to get the money"

As myself and many others on Disability are "payees", this news is quite irritating (as most on only ssdi recieve only $500 a month in benefits)...so Im sure you can imagine the frustration.

As I stated, I was hoping someone can confirm this, as Ive not been able to find anything to either confirm or deny this...

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

This refers to people who have a " Representative Payee" which is another person who is appointed to legally receive and manage their funds from the Social Security Administration.  

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

5/12/2020 7:43AM still no good news (for me) to report. No DD, Get My Payment still says 'Payment Status Not Available'.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I called my DD Card Sat. night to get my balance, it told me the Balance, stated I had a {MY REGULAR DEPOSIT, no one business, LOL} CERTAIN FIGURE deposited on the 1st , THEN you have to wait, but it also stated way on down the line that YOU HAVE A 1200 Dollar Deposit that will be available on Wed. May. 13th...........SO you can find out by calling your card and WAITING or calling your bank and they will tell you what day the funds are available !!

Sony OLED here I come, the Best Buy prices are at rock bottom, LOL. And the wifey says, its OK I guess, we need to help stimulate the economy. 

Music to my ears....

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

For what it's worth, I saw an article on a Maine TV station website this morning, answering a question someone had asked their I-Team to investigate. The gentleman was on SSDI and said he hasn't received the payment and can't get any answers. The I-Team said, supposedly after contacting the Treasury Dept, that a Treasury spokesperson said SS and SSDI stimulus payments did start going out in late April, but not everyone received theirs, so the payments will continue through May.

I contacted my Congressman last week. After a few back and forth emails, I was told if I didn't have the payment in another week or two, let him know. In the meantime I'll try the Get My Payment tool a couple times each day, and check my bank account a couple times a day. I'll also check the posts here to see if any of you got the dreaded Get My Payment tool to work and/or received your payment. Nothing else to do, but "hurry up and wait".

Regular Contributor

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/05/11/still-waiting-your-stimulus-check-you-have-until-...

This article echoes all of our postings.  Keep scrolling through it. It hits all of our concerns. 

Periodic Contributor

It is 4:56 AM, 5/11/2020, and still no payment. Just letting you know. Coffee, then other stuff as I start my day.

Regular Contributor

I think that there will be quite a few of us joining you for that morning coffee.  Nothing in my account either.  This is not the kind of consistency that I like!

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

It seems we all have said just about everything we can say on this matter. I hope certain factions don't have a political agenda with this thing. Many of us may be thinking this way. I know that I am. Some getting their stimulus while others are not. Why are some getting theirs when we, who basically have the required dd banking information on file as they do, have seen nothing by way of direct deposit or paper check? Something's not right and it's going to come out one way or the other, sooner or later.

So it's come down to either we get it or we don't. Some maybe this week, later in the month, a few months from now, next year or even not at all. Looks like the best thing that we can do is to live our lives just as we were before there was any talk of stimulus payments. Let's not put pressure on ourselves as some probably would like that might keep us in a constant state of frustration and confusion.

This is what happens when we depend on action from the government a little too much. Especially if, as I mentioned earlier, there's some type of political agenda involved. If there is not only shouldn't we be surprised but if payments are being stalled or stopped because of it then it may play a huge factor in our political decisions in the near future. And believe me, I would rather the reason for the delay to be the slow turning of the wheels of government and red tape rather than some political agenda. Take care everyone.

Regular Contributor

For me it's the Not Knowing, lack of info. Will I get the money, will I not? The so called Tools doesn't work for me. It's like winning a small lottery and then waiting for the money but you can't get in contact with anybody to find out why you haven't got it, if you will or when. Just hurry up and wait (no choice). But I'm kind of a celebrity in my family and group of friends, out that group I'm the only one who hasn't got the stimulus money.🤔

Trusted Contributor

I agree. I think I posted on this site about a week or so ago that I wish they would tell us one way or the other. I might be upset, angry and frustrated. But at least I'll know. But as of right now we're in limbo.

To file or not to file is the question. The answer seems to be two conflicting ones: SSA says use the non filer's tool. While the IRS says don't use it. What coordination.

Honored Social Butterfly

@CassTech71and others

This was posted by the IRS on Friday, May 08, 2020

IRS IR-2020-92, May 8, 2020 - Act by Wednesday for chance to get quicker Economic Impact Payment; ti... 

Don't just read the headline - read all the information - especially these parts:

How Get My Payment works

The Get My Payment tool provides eligible taxpayers with a projected Economic Impact Payment deposit date. The information is updated once daily, usually overnight. There is no need to check more than once a day. Taxpayers who did not choose direct deposit on their last tax return can use this tool to input bank account information to receive their payment by direct deposit, expediting receipt.

Non-Filers portal remains available

For those not required to file a federal tax return, the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here tool helps them submit basic information to receive an Economic Impact Payment quickly to their bank account. Developed in partnership between the IRS and the Free File Alliance, this tool provides a free and easy option for those who don't  receive Social Security retirement, survivor or disability benefits (SSDI), Railroad Retirement benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and VA Compensation and Pension (C&P) benefits.   The Non-Filers tool is also available in Spanish.

Eligible taxpayers who filed tax returns for 2019 or 2018 will receive the payments automatically. Automatic payments will also be sent to those receiving Social Security retirement, disability benefits, Railroad Retirement benefits, Veterans Affairs benefits or Supplemental Security Income soon.

So it seems that there are more payments on their way for those in the above categories and it appears that the "GET MY PAYMENT"  IRS tool does not work for those receiving the Economic Impact Payment via the Direct Deposit info that the Social Security Administration is supplying to the IRS for quick deposit.

At least not until your particular batch of beneficiaries have been uploaded when the payments are in route. 

I am a tax filer who has to pay, so the IRS sent me a check and my specific "GET MY PAYMENT" info was not updated until the day I got the check - they may have updated it the night before; I didn't check that often.

I would just say - be patient because with just SS Retirement, SSDI, RRB - we are talking about around 60+ million people - course some are like me who were included in the "tax filers", others maybe a dependent of someone else . . . . .

Screenshot_2020-05-10 Monthly Statistical Snapshot, March 2020.png

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/quickfacts/stat_snapshot/ 

It is not enough to say that you know people that have gotten this money - you have to know where they stand in the IRS's payment queque.   The IRS had all the info they needed on tax-filers; they had their dependents in the tax filling, so those were done 1st - direct deposit or a check. 

Then even before the next group is scheduled for disbursement, like those on SS Retirement, SSDI and RRB, who get their benefits through direct deposit; the payment file for these folks have to be updated to include any dependents which they filed for using the NON-filers IRS tool.

If you get your benefits via direct deposit now correctly and you have NO dependents that you need to add to increase your payment -

Be Patient; it is a process . . . a government process !

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Trusted Contributor

All true except if someone else in your group had not gotten it yet and you did then they would be saying the same thing. Since there are millions that have not reached the goal of getting stimulus monies then that proves that:

1. Someone will be first, some will be early or on time and others will be late from when they originally  thought. There are 10s of millions that can not possibly get through to the IRS to figure out what exactly went wrong with their account. 

2. It is not some wild conspiracy as to why some are still waiting. Does anyone think there is someone who puts certain names aside so they will get as late as possible? 

3. For sure there is some sort of reason, mistake or lost in the cracks as to why. Most likely never knowing why they were the ones ending up at the bottom of the pile. 

4. Reasons: 

a. DD given is incorrect

b. Bank refused deposit

c. Numbers swapped by mistake

d. Address had been changed numerous times

e. You live abroad 

f. You had someone else claim you, even known yourself. 

g. Yours was Flagged for 1 of 1000 different reasons. 

h. You used one of the Programs only filers or adding dependents were supposed to use causing lateness of your payment. 

i. The grey areas are many. 14 million do not have a bank because of past problems of bouncing checks or over the limit on constant basis. Now banks refuse service to them. 

j. being the fact that millions have not received it and you just happen to be one of them by chance. 

I know this is not helping you feel any better about your personal situations but just the facts of the matter. There is just going to be so many errors when 170+ millions are getting paid in this manner. I am sure there are 100's of other reasons why your stimulus still on the back burner. I myself waited 3 weeks before I could even use the Get My Payment tool and one day it popped up with my Apr 29th date in which millions got a DD. I can only say hang in there and this is just life and sometimes it does not seem fair. It's bound to happen to some. 

Kudos
Views
Regular Contributor

Sure is easy to say Hang in There when you got yours. My wife of 53 years got hers also on the 29th. We both have the same old same old everything except different SS numbers. We were told, no need to do anything, the IRS will get all needed info from our SSA 1099s so I'm doing as I'm told, NOTHING. Doing nothing just goes against my nature, so for now I speak out on here.
Trusted Contributor

Whatever the reason I 'ain't' got mine yet. Those who have received theirs that's great. I'm happy for them. I'm not getting my hopes up any time soon though. If it comes I'll be happy. If it doesn't it's not the end of the world. 

Periodic Contributor

Thanks everyone for your feedback on this very sensitive topic. Like many of you, I am a SSDI beneficiary who still has not received a stimulus payment. We're under a lot of stress these days and things affect us more than usual. My advice to us all (especially to those who are still waiting to receive our stimulus payments) is to take each day as it comes. We can only control so much of what we encounter daily. It's good to have a backup plan to handle your business in case things don't go as planned. For me, my finances are a priority. This month, I altered my budget to pay my bills based on their due date (starting with those which are due up through the middle of the month). I also have a fairly high monthly grocery budget (for a single person household). The bills that are due after the middle of the month will get paid when I receive my stimulus payment. I know this is a risk (since I usually pay all of my bills at the beginning of the month) but I'm willing to take it. I accept the fact that I live on the edge and I'm not going to be in denial of it. I do what I think is best for me and what helps me to maintain my well-being no matter the circumstances. We are strong willed and determined to make the most of our lives. We have the power to make any situation a "win win" for us if we just let ourselves stay positive.

Periodic Contributor

My main concern is that already many are upset and frustrated, but many posts are touting  myths at best. I realize that many believe that checks and deposits go out by the millions every day, but they don't. Each account needs to be approved by a Tax Agent. One person may be able to do 200 accounts a day? Maybe 300 at best? How many Agents are assigned to this task? A thousand, maybe two thousand? Lets mock it up to 10000. Ten thousand Agents doing 300 accounts every day makes three million accounts each day. there are approximately 186 millions accounts left make more than six days--but you and I both know that ten thousand agents are not working on this project. I'd bet half that--5000 at most--and I also bet that most Agents do more like a 100, 150 accounts a day at best. Furthermore, there are going to be snags for some accounts, and that takes time to clear up. So, my guess after taking this into account, I'm looking for my check/deposit somewhere mid to late may, maybe early June. Also, I don't about you, but I am grateful. It could be that only the rich get compensated...like the last time. I just can't believe the immaturity with some here. Many here are wonderful people, having done wonderful stuff, but some act like children. Put yourself in the shoes of those who are working on our accounts--they are human just like us.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Thanks Dad, we'll all try to behave.
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

According to DavidS871610:  " I realize that many believe that checks and deposits go out by the millions every day, but they don't. Each account needs to be approved by a Tax Agent."

I find it very hard to believe that every stimulus payment is individually checked by a "Tax Agent". Over the course of 28 days, and that includes weekends, approximately 130 million payments have been mailed/deposited (according to the IRS). That comes out to 4,642,857 per day. I think it's ridiculous to believe that tax agents look at and approve 4 1/2 million payments every day. So yes, according to the IRS, checks and deposits DO go out by the millions every day.

Regular Contributor

I couldn't agree with you more.  It is very hard to imagine that the largest economy in the free world has a troop of "Bob Cratchets" sitting there manually hand checking each stimulus payment before its sent.  Where someone comes up with that idea is beyond me.  Its an enormous task to get payments to everyone who should get one.  I understand that, but am most exasperated with the lack of current and factual information from any governmental source.  Because of that, I think that many people simply google something and read whatever comes up and hope that anything positive that they read is true.  

Hopefully something that is positive will be relayed by the IRS at some point this week.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Update: Still no stimulus. Let you know when it comes.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Like most of the others on this topic, my wife and I, too, have been on SS for several years and file taxes every year.  We nearly always have to pay something, so most likely IRS has never direct deposited anything to us.  But we've been getting direct deposit to our respective banks for several years, so SSA definitely has our information.  We still, as of May 9, haven't received any stimulus checks.  I've seen the information that IRS doesn't need SS recipients to do anything and that they'll get their checks.  We're still waiting, and there is no way to contact IRS, of which I'm aware, to find out the status.  The "Get My Payment" website is useless, informing me that "Payment Status Not Available".  I'm about to try contacting my Congressional Rep. about the matter, though I've about given up on the government being reliable for anything.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Kudos
Views
Re: Stimulus Check when you have Social Security Deposit every month

Like most of the others on this topic, my wife and I, too, have been on SS for several years and file taxes every year.  We nearly always have to pay something, so most likely IRS has never direct deposited anything to us.  But we've been getting direct deposit to our respective banks for several years, so SSA definitely has our information.  We still, as of May 9, haven't received any stimulus checks.  I've seen the information that IRS doesn't need SS recipients to do anything and that they'll get their checks.  We're still waiting, and there is no way to contact IRS, of which I'm aware, to find out the status.  The "Get My Payment" website is useless, informing me that "Payment Status Not Available".  I'm about to try contacting my Congressional Rep. about the matter, though I've about given up on the government being reliable for anything.

WilliamV.,

I am the exact situation that you describe with the exception that the message at "Get My Payment" says I'm eligible but that they have NO DIRECT DEPOSIT information for me. My understanding is that if you get Social Security Retirement through direct deposit that your stimulus will go to that account.

I have asked AARP to look into this but they made an excuse that there are too many variables. There are NO VARIABLES. It is simple. We were told that our Social Security information would be used to forward the stimulus and it is obvious that it is NOT HAPPENING and AARP seems not to care.

Periodic Contributor

I am in the same boat and have the experienced the same as you however my husband who is 75  did receive his check two weeks ago via direct bank deposit but I haven't to date, 5/1/2020. I have been on direct deposit with SS for several years as well. Each time I check online I am receiving the same message message ( info not available) and I have not been successful in getting a hold of anyone via telephone calls.  Don't know where or who to contact in order to find out whether or not there is an issue pending.  I did get a hold of SS and they verified that my profile is correct and there is nothing suspicious going on.  Guess I don't have any other option but to wait.

Regular Contributor

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/08/irs-issues-may-13-deadline-to-enter-direct-deposit-for-stimulus-chec...

This is insanity. NOW there's this May 13 deadline to add direct deposit info through the Get My Payment portal (presumably for those who haven't ever provided dd info).

But if you can't access that portal and you are stuck on the NO INFO YET page as so many are, you can't meet this deadline. 

Textbook Catch 22 situation. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP