Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Stimulus Check when you have Social Security Deposit every month

Periodic Contributor

Stimulus Check when you have Social Security Deposit every month

I did not get my stimulus check deposited in my accout as stated it would be. I went on the IRS site and the response was they had no information for direct deposit!  Well you have been depositing my SS check every month in my checking account, did you check there??? I filed a federal return and owed some money, but have not paid yet because of the extension. I filled out the form on the website for the stimlus check  along with the bank info they asked for, so that was yesterday, we will see, but not all of us  on SS are not automatically receving the check in our account as stated. You would think we would get ours first!

Susan Sheppard
Honored Social Butterfly

My son got his $1200 stimulus check in May and yet he  got his unemployment payment in October after 6 months of waiting and 25 phone calls. He asked why the holdup for so long. He was told it was a typographical error(said it was to be paid in October of 2021.)  Why in the world would some one unemployed want to wait more than a year to get $17,000 in unemployment payments?  Your Government at work!!!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I am giving up.  I don't think I am going to get a check, a direct deposit or anything else.  I check every day, and it always says Payment Status Unavailable.  I put my information in, even though it said it isn't required.  I have just done all I can do, and every day I am disappointed.  Everyone I know, on every kind of situation, has gotten theirs.  I am tired of stressing about it.  For some reason, I am just not going to get this money.  

Contributor

I have the same problem. I never got a stimulus check and I qualify and all taxes been filed and current. I spoke to the IRS and they confirmed my returns data for several years, address, etc, and told me I would receive it in October but never came. Since then all of a sudden I cannot access my SS account as I never receive a text message to my phone and the phone and connection are correct. etc.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Call your phone company and make sure short code SMS is enabled. All of a sudden a few weeks ago, I was no longer receiving short code messages. My phone carrier re-enabled the feature, and now I'm able to receive the verification text from the SSA. Good luck! 

Periodic Contributor

Hi Julie80,
I empathize with you. I remember the grueling experience I had checking the Get My Payment tool daily expecting to see a deposit date that confirmed my stimulus payment was processed. I recommend that you use the Non-Filers tool as soon as possible and enter your banking information. If you have already done that, then make note of when you did and then check the Get My Payment tool within 14 days (two weeks) of submitting your information. It seems like there are other members on this forum (including me) who have done that and have received our payments. Best wishes!

0 Kudos
Contributor

After you put your information in. It will take 2 weeks process. Even though I was not supposed to do anyting. I could not wait any longer. I did fill out the non file form. I got my direct deposit on June 3rd Wednesday along with my regular SSDI deposit. So please wait 2 weeks. 

0 Kudos

The Non-Filer tool states it is for persons with income levels less than $12,200, is that correct?

0 Kudos
Contributor

Yes I know I made 12,816. It doesn't matter because of I did not do that. I would not received my economic impact payment. Just don't wait. Do something. I did. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

EIP Update: I just read an article this morning about action that those who still haven't received their stimulus payments may want to consider taking. Here is the link:  

https://www.yahoo.com/money/coronavirus-stimulus-checks-americans-who-didnt-get-payment-need-to-take...

Please note that the article recommends using the IRS Non-Filers tool to provide your direct deposit information if you have not filed your taxes within the last two years. I didn't see anywhere in the article that excludes non-filers who receive social security benefits. I hope this helps those who are still awaiting their long-overdue payments.       

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@s801036s 

It says about the same thing on the IRS News Release site 06/03/2020 but does mention those who receive benefits - SS, SSI, RRB, VA - a bit more specifically.

from the News Release:

. . . . payments sent to those who usually do not have to file a tax return but receive retirement, survivor or disability benefits under various programs administered by the Social Security Administration as well as the Department of Veterans Affairs and the Railroad Retirement Board who qualify. These individuals can use Get My Payment to check on their payment status.

Sounds like they think they have those already in the system -

Personally, if it were me still waiting in one of these mentioned benefit categories, I would:

1.  Check the GET MY PAYMENT site and if it says "Payment Status Unavailable" - I would wait a few more days to see if the payment info shows up.

2.  If the GET MY PAYMENT site now says "Information Not Available" then go to the NON-Filer tool and enter your info.

from the IRS News Release

Anyone (eligible) who registers by October 15 will receive their payment by the end of the year.

NOTE:  it also says this in the News Release:

The IRS cautions that some people who need to file a tax return have been mistakenly using the Non-Filers tool to try to get an Economic Impact Payment.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Periodic Contributor

Hi GailL1,
Thanks so much for the clarification. I completely agree with you. 🙂
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi all,

I would like to take a moment to share a theory that I have about being proactive while awaiting your stimulus payment. As previously mentioned, I recently discovered that I would be getting my payment direct deposited on 6/3/20 as noted on the IRS Get My Payment tool. However, to my surprise, my bank cleared the deposit today as the funds were made available to me on 6/1/20. But let me backtrack to the weeks of very frustrating experiences when I couldn't even obtain the necessary information on the Get My Payment tool. I often checked this forum to read the posts that many of you shared. I got lots of ideas on what I could possibly do next to expedite the already delayed stimulus payment.  

One of the suggestions I tried was to click on the IRS Non-Filers tool even though the IRS advised against it since I receive SSDI and am not required to file my taxes due to my current income status. I tried unsuccessfully to enter my banking information via the Get My Payment tool but the information would not get processed. Instead, I received an error message saying that the information that I entered did not match their records. So as a last resort, I clicked on the Non-Filers tool and was able to enter my banking information there. My main concern doing it this way was that I might complicate things for the IRS since they advised against this method for my filing status category. Needless, to say, the IRS accepted my information using this method and I received a confirmation that it was being treated as a Non-Filers refund request. I figured at least this way if they had problems accessing my information from SSA, now I had provided them with the information that they needed to direct deposit my stimulus payment. But here's the kicker. Coincidentally, I received my payment exactly 14 days after I submitted my banking information using the Non-Filers tool. However, it might have been a coincidence that the IRS just received my information from SSA to generate an "automatic" payment regardless if I used the Non-Filers tool or not. The point is that I was proactive and used whatever resources that were available to me to obtain the results I needed.

Going forward, my advice to those who are still waiting to receive their payments is to consider using the Non-Filers tool if you are unsuccessful in using the Get My Payment tool to provide your banking information or get your direct deposit date. In conclusion, one thing that seems quite plausible is that the Get My Payment tool is updated only when they have processed your payment. It is practically useless if they haven't reached you yet. I truly hope that this may be an option for those still awaiting their payments. I also hope that the next stimulus package is processed a whole lot smoother as it was in the past. Best wishes!     

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

I'm still praying for everyone who has not received their stimulus yet. I know it's easy for me to say this because I received mine about 3 days ago and I thank God. But I don't want to give up or abandon the cause in what they said we all are supposed to receive. We know there are glitches in the system. So keep your head up as best you can everyone and take care.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Today, the unimaginable happened. I checked the IRS Get My Payment tool to see the status of my economic stimulus payment and it showed a direct deposit date of 6/03/20. This information was certainly relieving after several weeks of super-frustrating attempts to find out when I'd receive mine. I'm very appreciative of the opportunity for all of us to share our experiences and to keep one another updated on our efforts. I actually feel like I wasn't alone in this daunting situation. Truthfully, I will wait until the deposit is completed on the expected date before I celebrate. But I must admit that it does feel good knowing that things have a way of working themselves out, especially if you remain hopeful and positive. Best wishes to everyone!

Periodic Contributor

Did u enter ur information in the non-filers tool to get urs?
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Hi KimM696183,
I did enter my information in the IRS Non-Filers tool but only after trying to enter it in the Get My Payment tool first which did not work for me.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I also entered my information in the system.  I thought SURELY today, my check would show up, but no.  I truly am just ready to stop thinking about it.  Maybe if I do that, it will come.  A watched pot never boils, as my Mom used to say.  But it sure if frustrating.  

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Julie80 

I went back and read your previous post to get some idea of your benefit status and what the IRS GET MY PAYMENT site is telling you when you check.

You are on SSI - Do you have a Representative Payee?

Do you normally get your SSI benefit through Direct Deposit?  Or do you get it on a Direct Express Card?

You said that when you went to the IRS GET MY PAYMENT site earlier in May, you got the message

"Information Not Available" and then on 06/01/2020, you said that it gave you the message "Payment Status Unavailable" - those are different and gives you some hope that they now know about you and your information is going to be uploaded and your message will be changed from

"Payment Status Unavailable"  to info on your payment - the amount, the date issued, the method that it is coming to you.

They are still only uploading info to the IRS GET MY PAYMENT site once a day as the payments are processed - so just keep checking once a day - morning is probably best.

You may get it as Direct Deposit, you may get it as a check or you may get it as a VISA debit card.

The site will tell you.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Did u put in ur information using the non-filers tool to get urs?

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Can I ask, when you put in your information, is there a difference in using dashes in your SS#?  Or your address being in all caps or not?  I have tried varied ways, and I never get anything other than information not available.  I am really getting scared I am not going to get anything at all.  

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Julie80...From what I've read, and I've read a lot, the tool isn't case sensitive. That was from the IRS. You also don't need to put dashes in your SS number. The most important thing is your address. But before I go further about that, I want to let you and everyone else know, you will continue to get Payment Status Is Not Available until the IRS has gotten to you and set a payment date, whether it's direct deposit or a mailed check. I also got frustrated at always getting the status not available message, and thought I must be putting my address in wrong. I decided the best thing to do was to use the exact address that was on my SSA 1099. It still said status not available. Then I tried using the exact address the USPS has for me. Still status not available. Finally at the end of last week, I tried again, using the exact address that's on my SSA 1099. This time it said my information didn't match theirs. I knew then they must have gotten to me and given me a payment date, or it would have said status not available. I checked my bank account and there was the pending $1200 deposit for the 28th. The next day I tried the tool again, just to see if I could get it to show my payment status, only this time using the exact address the USPS has for me. It worked. I read or heard on a video (I don't remember which), that the Get My Payment tool will only give you a payment date after the IRS has gotten to you, and when they get to you, they then set a payment date and type (direct deposit or mailed check). Which is usually for the following week. So all the frustration about my not getting my address right and causing the tool to not give me a payment date was for nothing, because you will only get a date when the IRS has gotten to you, and when they do get to you they set your payment date. The tool will NOT work until then. If you get a message that your information doesn't match theirs, then yes, you've probably put your address in wrong, BUT it also means you do have a payment date. I'm sorry this reply is so long, but hopefully you and others will understand the tool does work, but only AFTER the IRS gets to you and gives you a payment date. Up until then, your payment status is not available. Makes sense now. I wish I had known this a month ago. Hang in there Julie. One day, hopefully soon, the tool will give you a date, or say your info doesn't match theirs, in which case you DO have a payment date.

Trusted Contributor

Best posting on Get My Payment so far. You will get payment when the IRS gets to you. With the 100's of millions of payments someone will be first, others will get soon after, some will get later and still those will get near last. There may be 1000 different reasons as to why certain people are not able to find out at this time. I myself thought I would get the 2nd week in and was not able to get into Get My Payment until suddenly early morning on Apr. 26th there it was. My message that getting a DD on Apr. 29th. I contacted friends to check theirs and sure enough all had the same notice and at 6 different banks all received. Just last week people with debit type were to start getting stimulus. There are millions of others still waiting and could be for many reasons. Let's look at a few.

1. Were claimed as dependents not known by them.

2. Live in foreign country which the IRS does not send to out of country banks. Plus address does not fit into GMP program.

3. People have changed banks.

4. Changed addresses a few times lately.

5. DD # incorrect either by income tax preparer, IRS or themselves.

6. Owe child support by Law

7. Sent in 2019 taxes late or not at all. 

8. 14 million people have no bank for various reasons.

9. Checks were stolen or received by someone else DD.

10. Legal battles by separated parties where one received and other did not.

This only covers a little of the reasons why some have not received stimulus and will sometime later. Hopefully you all will sooner then later. It's part of the process that will never be perfect. Good luck everyone. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

I receive my s/s check under my ex-husbands account.  He checked his bank to see if my stimulus check went to his bank verses mine and they told him they would have returned it stating I was not on his checking account.  I have not received my stimulus check.  What do I do?

thank you 

0 Kudos
Contributor

To the person who replied to my concern, I am not on MyEx-Husbands bank  account,however, I am collecting S/S under his S/S number.  My S/S check goes into my bank not his bank.  I guess the IRS issued the Stimulus Checks based on S/S number from which the S/S benefits are being paid not the recipient’s banking information.  That is the issue.  

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@LindaF947611 wrote:

. . . . . . I am not on MyEx-Husbands bank  account,however, I am collecting S/S under his S/S number.  My S/S check goes into my bank not his bank.  I guess the IRS issued the Stimulus Checks based on S/S number from which the S/S benefits are being paid not the recipient’s banking information.  That is the issue.  

I think what you are trying to say is that you get (Divorced) Spousal Benefits. Is that right?

Even though you get this benefit based on his work record, your (Divorced) Spousal Benefits are in your name and your Social Security number..

You should get a SSA-1099 at the end of each year in your name for your tax records showing the amount of this benefit which was paid to you for tax purposes, if you need to file a return.

It should show your own Social Security number.

In box 1, you'll find the name of the person for whom the Social Security benefits were paid - YOU.

For tax purposes, benefits are included in the taxable income of the person who has the legal right to receive the benefits. In this case - YOU.  

In box 2, you'll find the Social Security number person of the person named in box 1.- YOU

Screenshot_2020-05-31 Understanding Your Tax Forms 2016 SSA-1099, Social Security Benefits(1).png

You should get an Economic Impact Payment by Direct Deposit as long as the 2019 SSA-1099 is shown correctly. 

Try filling out the IRS.gov -GET MY PAYMENT  form with the necessary identifying info and see what it says - Data is updated once per day overnight, so there's no need to check back more than once per day.

WHEN your payment is scheduled, it will give you the amount, how it is being sent and when it will be sent.  If it says, "Payment Status Is Not Available", then you just wait until your number comes up but it should be soon - .

Now if you have other types of stuff going on  - like:

• you are claimed on somebody elses' tax return as a dependent and you are older than 17
  • you are a not a citizen or a resident alien and have no working SS#
  • you might have needed to file a tax return in 2018 / 2019 because of reported taxable income over the filing limit and the IRS is waiting - (see the back of the SSA-1099 for limits)

????????   need details

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I checked mine again today, and as always, payment status unavailable.  It never changes.  I am beginning to just give up hope.  Why?  Other people in  my state on the same benefits I am have theirs.  Also, I would like to know, those of you who received paper checks, what did they look like?  I get a lot of mail from President Trump's administration regarding the election, and while I am a supporter, I don't always open them.  If I threw out a check, I would just not be able to handle that.  This whole thing is just too all over the place.  All I know is, I have an almost $1,000.00 bill that needs paid.  I need that money.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am on ssdi. I hot a call from senator Mark Warners secretary and she said that my economic impact payment is going to be direct deposited on Wednesday June 3 which is payday for ssdi. I will have double. I called the senators office and asked them to look in to this because I was getting worried. It shows it on the get my payment tool. I also filled out the non filler form and used that as a back up. Even though I was not suppose to do anything. I do hope it comes soon.  Also a tax person who helps with low income recipients called the irs special number. That is when we did the non filler form. So do that non filler form as a back up. I've been homeless since September and when I get paid every month I stay in a hotel room. When I can't I stay in my car. I am glad Wednesday is a big day. I've been in my car for a week. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

It gets me so angry that anyone in one of the wealthiest countries in the world is forced to live in their car. Especially someone drawing SSDI. I know this isn't the correct forum for it, but my blood is boiling!

My wife is still waiting for her stimulus check. She receives SSDI DD. It's not just you, so please stay encouraged. This was too big a venture for it to work to the advantage of the American people. It should have been a multi agency affair, with SS responsible for paying SS recipients. If there is another stimulus package in the future, it should be a lot smoother process. We hope! 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Well I'm glad I'm getting it on Wednesday which is regular payday for ssdi. I will have double the amount. Yes it took me long for them to issue it. I finally did the non filler form because I was getting worried about it. I was supposed to do nothing but did as a back up. Yes it is hard to be in my car. I can't wait to check in and clean up and do laundry. The church that let's us show is closed do to the pandemic. I do hope everyone gets the economic impact payment  ASP.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP