Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Stimulus Check when you have Social Security Deposit every month

Periodic Contributor

Stimulus Check when you have Social Security Deposit every month

I did not get my stimulus check deposited in my accout as stated it would be. I went on the IRS site and the response was they had no information for direct deposit!  Well you have been depositing my SS check every month in my checking account, did you check there??? I filed a federal return and owed some money, but have not paid yet because of the extension. I filled out the form on the website for the stimlus check  along with the bank info they asked for, so that was yesterday, we will see, but not all of us  on SS are not automatically receving the check in our account as stated. You would think we would get ours first!

Susan Sheppard
Trusted Contributor

I was taught never count your chickens before they were hatched.  I am sure you will receive it as I read they will be paying the stimulus check through end of May and through June.  Maybe they sent it to an account you have not used in a while.  If so the bank mails it back, and then the IRS mails it to you at the last know address they have on file for you which means it will be a bit delayed.  I hope you have been living at your address for a while. 

Not sure if you get SS, SSDI, SSI or have filed or not filed taxes.  There are different variations but they are not done yet.  So be careful and check your mail bc maybe you will be one of those people who receive the $1,200 on a debit card (not the same as the direct express card).   

Plus, anyone that has received payment (or the IRS think they should have received payment already) gets a letter from the IRS acknowledging that it was sent to me.  So if you have not received that letter yet, that is a good sign in that it means they did not send yours out.  

Have you checked the Get My Payment yet on the IRS site?  I get SSDI dd into my account and yet I received a paper check.  Some people NOW will be getting prepaid debit cards with the $1,200 on it.  What does the get My payment portal on the IRS page say when you input your information.

As to the second check, don't even start worrying about that. It was rendered moot already.

THE FATE OF THE HEROES ACT

A week ago, hopes were briefly raised for a second stimulus check when the House passed a new $3 trillion economic stimulus package that included direct payments to Americans ($1,200 for individuals and $2,400 for married couples, plus additional payments for dependents). But the Heroes Act was called “dead on arrival” by Republicans, and that’s exactly what happened.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Julie80 wrote:

I for one, am really getting tired of the wait.  Where the heck IS IT???  . . . . 

Every day I look at my online bank, and every day, nothing.  When is it coming? 

IF you are eligible for it, then it will come - they just have not finished all the various categories but are still sending out 5-million payments a week. 

Check your eligibility and then be patient - Check the IRS.gov site of GET MY PAYMENT to see what it says.  When it is scheduled to be paid, the site will let you know the amount, the date of distribution and the manner of distribution (there are several ways - direct deposit, check, debit card) , if Direct Deposit, it will give some identifying info on the account.

Each of us is different in details and it is the details that determine the specifics.

Details like:

• Are you or should you be a tax filer - meaning that your income is such that it requires you to file; regardless of it you have to pay any taxes.
  • Are you a US citizen or a resident alien that has a Social Security number
  • Is your income within the eligibility range for a single person that is up to $ 75,000; past that figure up to $ 99,000, the amount is reduced
  • What type of benefits you are getting IF you do not file a tax return (2018 & 2019 are the years the IRS is using) - SS Retirement, Spousal, Survivor, SSDI, RRB, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), VA - this makes a difference in when the payments are scheduled and what files the IRS is using to direct your payment, if possible.
  • Are you claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return and you are over the age of 17?  This makes you ineligible for the stimulus funds.
  • Do you have a "Respresentative Payee" assigned to your benefits? 

Check the IRS.gov GET MY PAYMENT and see what it says currently - they update it about once a day.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Julie80.... have you checked out the Get My Payment Tool lately? A few of us 'suppose' to get ours DD on the 28th.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

some people got the may 28th date for payment . I still have not gotten any response but no info from the port hole where my payment thing. even though they said not to fill out the non flier form i'm getting ready to fill it out cause this is b.s. waiting &waiting &waiting when all the other people get theres. they don't even give you a date.and calling is a total joke you still get automated crap NEVER A PERSON..I LOST MY PAITENCE 3 WEEKS AGO...No ONE can claim me I have dd same account for 15yrs. what is the problem here..... if i dont get it by fri or any info by fri im gonna go ahead and fill out the non fliers crap see if that does any good... the is rediclious............

0 Kudos

Hello everyone, we understand the interest in stimulus payments in the current circumstances.

AARP continues to cover updates on this subject at www.aarp.org/coronavirus. We also suggest you follow guidance directly from the IRS found at www.irs.gov/coronavirus.

Please remember to keep this thread on topic for the purpose, there are political threads to discuss subjects if you desire: https://community.aarp.org/t5/Politics-Society/ct-p/CurrentEvents

Stay safe and healthy, and remember to post according to the guidelines.

https://community.aarp.org/t5/custom/page/page-id/Guidelines

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

J221..., you don't need the dashes in the SS#, more than likely it's the address, the Zip code needs to be correct. I live on a Lane and I spelled it out Lane and it worked for me. Hope you get that straightened out and get your money. Cheers
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit, the GMP tool said I'll have my stimulus DD 5/28/2020, I hope they aren't just teasing me and I hope the rest of you get yours soon. Cheers

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Patience. That is all that people need, patience. The IRS stated payments would be made through end of May INTO June and it is not even the end of May yet. Good for you.
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

Actually got past the recording this morning. Told an operator would soon be on the line. Music for about 5 minutes, then line cut off. Called back twice and got recording only. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

RickD263091...Exact same thing happened to be. Managed to get the chance to talk to an agent, twice, then after a short wait, a recording said my call was important and the next available agent would take my call, then I was disconnected. Just one more thing to get upset at the IRS about.
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

They are still training people.  but if you and everyone keeps calling about their money, when clearly they are still sending the money out, nobody would ever get their money.  

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

Just wanted to give everybody an update.  I am SSDI DD and like you all have not received my stimulus payment.  Been checking GMP site every morning, including this morning and got the message payment status not available.  I just checked the GMP site again, and a miracle has taken place.  Sometime this afternoon GMP updated and mine now says my payment has been scheduled for direct deposit on May 28, 2020 and my account number is listed, (last 4 digits).  If you have not checked GMP site lately, you might want to check, as there has been updated data added.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I, too, just checked the GMP website and my payment is scheduled for the 28th. Good luck to everyone. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I think you all are getting a little side tracked, I just want my **bleep** money that is do me. Peace & Cheers.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Agreed. It's very easy to get sidetracked lately, and I'm a bit more sensitive and definitely short-tempered. Good luck to all. 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Not a problem. Life goes on. Ya all have a blessed day.
0 Kudos
Contributor

73 yr old vet on SS for years with DD to the same bank. Illegals in my State are receiving their stimulus checks but not me. What is wrong with this picture? Shame on the Country I love.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

The shame is that my country values the wealthy, and not the common citizen. The wealthy are making out like bandits during the shutdown, even taking money meant for small business owners (my family). That's my concern. The illegals are the easier target, as always. 

Contributor

The illegals are, uh, well, illegal. If the wealthy are breaking laws then they also should be dealt with. As always, the illegals are ILLEGALS and should be targeted.
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Illegals have nothing to do with this! This was such a large undertaking, and in my opinion it was handled the wrong way. Social Security should have been in charge of depositing recipients money into their bank accounts. They do it so well every month. If anyone had dependents, they should have submitted info separately to the IRS for payment. That's how I feel about it. To bring up "illegals" is ridiculous and petty! 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I couldn't agree with you more Billy.  Pinning the problem on illegals is a very dumb move.  Just as bad as blaming them for fraudulent voting.  The last thing a person who is illegal wants to do is draw attention to themselves by trying to get a stimulus payment or voting.  I doubt that most even have SS numbers.  The root of this problem is just poor organisation and taking on such a huge task without giving it some proper thought.  Given how the timelines have worked out, I would have been happier if they had taken the time to figure it out first and then started handing out the money.  Now that they're talking about another payment, I hope that they've learned from their mistakes.  But sadly, most governments never seem to learn.

Trusted Contributor

There are people called resident aliens who are NOT citizens of our country, yet get permission to work here and PAY US taxes and yes, they are entitled to it bc they are paying taxes in our country. Illegals do not have ss security numbers so they are not paying taxes. They wanted to get the money into the people's hands who needed it the most like those where I live in NY. Those people lost their jobs suddenly and without warning and UE had not kicked in and they are cash poor. They had no money coming in and have children to feed so the idea was to get it to them as quickly as possible. It is ironic that the biggest complainers are those who are receiving benefits like me, SSDI, SS or SSI and we are not paying taxes now and we are still getting our monthly benefits.

The second bill has already been killed so do not expect a second stimulus check. The IRS is doing the best they can DURING A PANDEMIC (which most seem to forget) and had to pay out over 100 million people and without much notice. There were many people (the ones who were working) that needed that money desperately. Those of us on benefits should have been the last bc we are still getting our monthly benefits.

You are not understanding the difference between an illegal citizen and a resident alien. A resident alien was not born in the US and is not a citizen, but has permission to work in the United States and they also pay US taxes so they are entitled to the stimulus money because they are paying TAXES.

The second bill about a second stimulus was already killed and is moot as was expected.
0 Kudos
Contributor

I did not pin the problem of me not getting my check on the illegals.  I merely said it is wrong that an illegal gets stimulus money and me, a US citizen does not. If you cannot understand that, then I don't know what else I can say. 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

You are not understanding the difference between an illegal citizen and a resident alien. A resident alien was not born in the US and is not a citizen, but has permission to work in the United States and they also pay US taxes so they are entitled to the stimulus money because they are paying TAXES.

Illegal residents are NOT getting the check because although they work they do not have a social security number. So before you get all upset and start blaming others and stating THEY cannot understand, you really need to read and know the difference because it is YOU that does not understand. And the resident aliens are probably paying more in taxes than you.
Contributor

Illegal residents are eligible to receive a stimulus if they are paying into Social Security  and obviously have an account.

IIlegal is a term used by some politicians to keep stoking fear and bigotry.

They may be waiting for naturalization or citizenship status but are not yet registered as citizens. 

They are working and paying taxes.

If you are upset about our immigration laws- stop being dumbdowned and get more information

Do fact checking instead of watching right wing media

This country was founded based on immigration. 

We all  owe our status due to our forebarers  being immigrants.

Embrace humanity! 

Regular Contributor

I was so happy to read your post this morning.  Your words very much sum up my feelings.  Its been saddening for me these past weeks to read posts on this AARP site that are becoming more and more political and discriminatory.   Again, I appreciate your words and thoughts.  

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Amen to someone who understands something before they post about it.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@alvandy 

I agree with much of what you have said - yes, many people do not understand our "legal" immigration system and who is who and what category are they within.  You are right that people need to learn about it and the difficult steps that many of them have to take to come here, legally.

US Resident Aliens are people that have done all the steps and are now just waiting for the allotted time and processes to pass  - A resident alien is a foreign-born United States resident who is not a U.S. citizen. A resident alien is also known as a permanent resident or a lawful permanent resident, which means they are considered an immigrant who has been legally and lawfully recorded as a resident of the country.

They have been LEGALLY issued a Social Security number and working papers.  They work and pay all kinds of taxes, just like the rest of us and earn any benefits based on the same criteria.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Trusted Contributor

alvandy......This country was founded based on LEGAL immigration. There, fixed it for ya.
Regular Contributor

I have nothing against humanity, BUT, I worked 38 years of my life, and due to circumstances I had no control over, I can no longer work.  I had to take my retirement pension early, and have been on SSI for the last few years waiting on that.  If you have a green card, are here working legally, waiting on citizenship, good for you, but do not tell me there aren't a whole lot of others that have no such thing, and they are getting more than ME.  

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP